Coronavirus - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Coronavirus

I have been trying to find that thread where derekfaejapan (I thought it was) asked the board, "Japanese style facemasks! could they catch on in the UK?" (Or words similar). I seem to recall people ripping the utter pish out of him and even starting piss taking threads asking similar type questions.... with 'could it catch on' on the end. Oh how we all laughed at the time. He has probably stockpiled them and is now sitting on a goldmine.

It's not even deadlier than the seasonal flu atm.

60k deaths a year from flu.

Masks aren't even effective against airborne viruses cause no filter and eyes exposed. They're just there to stop fluid transfer from coughing/spitting etc.

Safety goggles. Found a pair in the toolbox plus 5 dust masks that I completely forgot about buying, result! Just need to finish my hazmat suit made out of extra strong bin bags and duck tape and I reckon I will be pretty much invincible.

Having watched a shit movie once about a pandemic is the danger here not that it 'mutates' at some point.

The World Health Organization (WHO) has also called for an Emergency Committee meeting on Thursday to determine whether the coronavirus constitutes a public health emergency of international concern.

The committee will consider issuing a global alarm -- as the death toll from the fast-spreading virus has reached 170 -- representing a 38 percent increase in deaths in the past 24 hours

Human to human spread of the virus has reportedly occurred in Japan, Germany, Canada and Vietnam. A reason health officials have expressed "great concern" is because the disease has started to spread outside of China.

https://www.foxnews.com/health/world-health-organization-consider-coronavirus-public-health-emergency

Apparently it already qualifies as a pandemic and that it is growing exponentially but still slowly due to having quite a long incubation period where it is very transmissible. It can take up to two weeks to show. Testing folk for a fever at airports is only going to work after that long incubation period - during which they are infecting people they come in contact with (with a relatively high rate of infection).

I am thinking avoid travelling (especially planes) until this becomes clearer one way or the other. 

This was filmed a week ago andthings have moved on a lot since then.

China would not start locking down cities with 11 million population unless there are some serious fears over this one. We will see. 

Edited by thplinth

15 other countries... hmmm.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-51305526

The death toll from the coronavirus outbreak has risen to 170, and a confirmed case in Tibet means it has reached every region in mainland China.

Chinese health authorities said there were 7,711 confirmed cases in the country as of 29 January.

Infections have also spread to at least 15 other countries.

The World Health Organization (WHO) will meet on Thursday to again consider whether the virus constitutes a global health emergency.

_110704808_optimised-coronavirus_faceted

Because of the 7-14 day incubation period I read that it is more meaningful to work out the fatality rate by dividing the known deaths today by the number of known cases 7-14 days ago... In which case this could be a lot more deadly than it first appears. That chart above is a wee bit alarming. 

8 minutes ago, thplinth said:

15 other countries... hmmm.

Because of the 7-14 day incubation period I read that it is more meaningful to work out the fatality rate by dividing the known deaths today by the number of known cases 7-14 days ago... In which case this could be a lot more deadly than it first appears. That chart above is a wee bit alarming. 

One of the problems with this one is the number of unknown cases. In some folk the symptoms are so mild that folk hardly know they have got it. They can still pass it on though. I think this is one of the reasons for the massive "lock downs". It's just far too early to have a proper handle on what the eventual numbers are going to be.

To be fair, they did a pretty good job with SARS.

I've dug out a couple of 3M respirators from the garage just in case though.

12 minutes ago, phart said:

That dudes an economist and is selling info to help folk prepare for armageddon, adverts for survival gear and buying precious metals etc.

Unlike you to play the man and not the ball. And strange you say he is an economist while ignoring the fact he has a PHD in Pathology. He did say he was doctor at the start...

Education[edit]

Martenson holds a PhD degree in pathology from Duke University in 1994 and an MBA degree from Cornell University in 1998. He followed a post-doctoral program at Duke University, where he specialized in neurotoxicology. Martenson is a fellow of the Post Carbon Institute.[2][3]

I have an adblocker and did not see anything about it being a prepper site or anything you mention. Maybe you are getting targeted ads? I don't see his site flogging it. Anyway it was the content of what he was saying that I found interesting.

2 hours ago, phart said:

It's not even deadlier than the seasonal flu atm.

60k deaths a year from flu.

Masks aren't even effective against airborne viruses cause no filter and eyes exposed. They're just there to stop fluid transfer from coughing/spitting etc.

Aye the masks are more effective for preventing you passing it on, than they are from preventing you getting it. They will reduce the risks but no idea by how much. 

Maybe masks should be made compulsory?

Maybe these burka things aren't such a bad idea after all?

1 minute ago, thplinth said:

Unlike you to play the man and not the ball. And strange you say he is an economist while ignoring the fact he has a PHD in Pathology. He did say he was doctor at the start...

Education[edit]

Martenson holds a PhD degree in pathology from Duke University in 1994 and an MBA degree from Cornell University in 1998. He followed a post-doctoral program at Duke University, where he specialized in neurotoxicology. Martenson is a fellow of the Post Carbon Institute.[2][3]

I have an adblocker and did not see anything about it being a prepper site or anything you mention. Maybe you are getting targeted ads? I don't see his site flogging it. Anyway it was the content of what he was saying that I found interesting.

He has no expertise in Coronaviruses though, his phd was 25 years ago. He never worked in the field and instead quit when he couldn't get a teaching job and worked in large companies instead. Sure he will have a good general knowledge of pathology but this is an entirely new virus. It's a weird guy to pick as an expert on a novel coronavirus.

I have adblocker as well. His site clearly has things like precious metals sales.

https://ibb.co/kJ6yQtR

8 minutes ago, thplinth said:

They are compulsory.

I guess if everyone wears the masks it could be effective or at least helpful. 

I was thinking about over here. No point taking any risks.

And all this handshaking nonsense should be banned too. Touching other folk hands for no obvious reason is just asking for trouble.

34 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Mair chance of being hit by a bus or a bin lorry. Whatever you do don't cross the street. Although the pavements might not be the safest place either. 

Meeeh... you take your chances and I will take mine. No one knows yet if this is going to be bad or fizzle out. Probably fizzle out but in the meantime sitting in a sealed, pressurized container crammed full of a random collection of other human beings for hours and hours is great way to catch something at the best of times... If this turns out to be bad they will start grounding all the flights for good reason (meaning you could get stuck somewhere as well).

3 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I was thinking about over here. No point taking any risks.

And all this handshaking nonsense should be banned too. Touching other folk hands for no obvious reason is just asking for trouble.

Fist pumping is the future. Fair play tae Donny though. I widnae fancy catching something fae that lizard cow either. 🤛

9FBFBE74-7DAA-4E75-973B-63979CF26312.jpeg

Edited by WCTA