Football Magazines growing up.. - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Football Magazines growing up..

9 minutes ago, WCTA said:

Shoot huge for me in the 80s. But my auld man worked for McIntyre Bakers in Perth years ago. They were an institution in Perth. He delivered with them so when each Panini sticker book came out he’d roll in at 7am in the morning(he’d work through the night) with a mountain of stickers for you before your pals would be ready to swap at school. I remember the first “binder” that came out for a World Cup. It was Italia ‘90. The small things I remember from it were St. Johnstone’s mention on previous clubs of the likes of Ally McCoist. I kept the thing for years and always liked looking back at reserve players like Theo Snelders. 
As an immature laddie in 1990 though when it first came out I would find it amusing that the likes of S. Korea had players who had three names. Don’t ask me why this still sticks in my head but my Brother and I would giggle because there was a player in that S. Korea team called Gu Sang Bum. 😄

I had the same binder and weirdly I remember each nation had the telephone number of their football association listed in the binder. 😂😂

https://thesetpieces.com/features/football-manager-play-mail-fantasy-football/

Going to the phone box with your mate to phone complete strangers trying to buy Figo for 7 million on a Friday night while the rest of the scheme are fighting and trying to buy booze and fags :lol:

Edited by ParisInAKilt

14 minutes ago, kumnio said:

Hearts had two teams?

Haha. Good spot. Looks like someone lost their Raith Rovers tab & nicked a spare off their mate, presumable not knowing their Hearts from their Raith. If I lost one, I’d cut the shape out of a cereal packet & try to colour it in. 

Great thread.

Football daft in the 70’s as a kid. I used to get Shoot, Scoop, Roy of the Rovers, collect the Panini stickers but the earlier reference to football cards takes me back. Pack of 5? Cards and a brick hard strip of pink ‘chewing gum’ that weirdly smelled like wintergreen. 

Trading cards at school -  got, got, got, not got 😂 Also, dis anyone else used to play ‘flickies’ with the cards ? , usually risking only doublers or treblers that you had ( im looking at you Tony Higgins 😡)  Basicallly pitching the cards against a wall and the nearest won.

Feel bad for kids today not having that stuff, at least not to the extent back then. Great part of life as a young fitba fan

Edited by Jim Beem

8 minutes ago, Jim Beem said:

Great thread.

Football daft in the 70’s as a kid. I used to get Shoot, Scoop, Roy of the Rovers, collect the Panini stickers but the earlier reference to football cards takes me back. Pack of 5? Cards and a brick hard strip of pink ‘chewing gum’ that weirdly smelled like wintergreen. 

Trading cards at school -  got, got, got, not got 😂 Also, dis anyone else used to play ‘flickies’ with the cards ? , usually risking only doublers or treblers that you had ( im looking at you Tony Higgins 😡)  Basicallly pitching the cards against a wall and the nearest won.

Feel bad for kids today not having that stuff, at least not to the extent back then. Great part of life as a young fitba fan

Pretty much exact same for me. Shoot, Scoop, Match, RotR.

Collected the Panini, have full sets of 1978 and 1982 up the loft. Albums aren't in great nick to be fair so doubt they are worth anything. And they have my scribbles in them with the scores from each game. I remember paying my mate 15p in 1978, a fortune in those days, for the last card I needed in 1978. Also 1978 were glue backed, you had all these 8-12 year old kids at school licking stickers with a terrible taste to them to stick in their albums. No wonder so many of my generation ended up sniffing glue!

Also was wondering if anyone else played the flicking the cards with the Scottish ones and nearest to the wall won. Damaged the cards a fair bit though! Someone else mentioned the "chewing gum". WTF was that actually made from? Still ate it though. After a couple of hours you had softened it up just enough that it was chewable.....but also the size of a pea.

What was the comic that had a character called something like Gorgeous Gus? They used to bring him on in a sedan chair and he'd score from halfway, usually putting the keeper in the net as well!

The Wee Red Book was brilliant.  Not a magazine but it was a Saturday night highlight going to the paper shop for The Sporting Post that came out around 7 and had all the match reports.  Great days.

45 minutes ago, daviebee said:

What was the comic that had a character called something like Gorgeous Gus? They used to bring him on in a sedan chair and he'd score from halfway, usually putting the keeper in the net as well!

Sounds like Hot Shot Hamish that was in Roy of the Rovers (although not sure of the sedan chair thing).

Quick Google tells me it was indeed Gorgeous Gus and he was in The Victor comic.  Waaay before my time.....

Edited by Fairbairn

9 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Not a magazine but was strangely fascinated with the wee red book as a kid. 

Did anyone use play by mails in the early 90’s? Please own up :lol: 

The wee red book is still on the go. Heading towards a hundred years of publication. 

22 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

Back on subject, shoot & match for me, occasionally 4-4-2 also. 

My dad had every issue of Roy Of The Rovers, I used to go up in the loft for hours at a time to sit and read them. 

Oh, The Green Final on a Saturday night too. Used to read it all the way my paper round and sell any extras outside the local pub for a couple of quid each. 

I loved getting shoot and I used to get football monthly passed to me from a friend of my dad. My favourite Mag was the football league review that you got with match programmes. I have an Aberdeen programme from the early seventies I think with one in which surprises me. Was the FL review in many Scottish programmes?. On the subject of footbal cards did anyone else collect the ones from shredded wheat. I hated the stuff but told my dad I loved it I don't know how much I ate so I could get a Billy Bremner one. I still get Four Four Two and When Saturday Comes to read on the train up to games.

Ian

Great thread indeed. (Much better than  the pish you guys normally bang on about / bicker over 😜)

Got Match routinely. League ladders were magic but struggled to keep them up to date by the end of September.

Loved the sticker albums. I think the 1986 WC album had weird plastic cards where the corners tucked into slots on the page, rather than stickers. Tried to recreate childhood memories by getting the 2016 Euros sticker album (which was a bit shit because there was no Scotland page) and, to the astonishment of my wife,  bought about 500 stickers off amazon then played swaps with a couple of other sad middle aged men at work. Completed the Albania page but hadn’t heard of any of their players. 

Wasn’t into Roy of the rovers so much but do remember Viz doing a send up of it where Roy is on a night out after winning (of course) and ends up pulling a page 3 girl . “Roy scores for the second time that day”, read the caption.

Anyone remember Wee alickie on the back page of the green final? Oor Wullie type character whose mood depended on how Aberdeen got on earlier that day. Great bloke. Remember him being unimpressed when Aberdeen drew 1-1 with 10 man Celtic in the 84 cup final. GF went to press before the dons romped to (yet another) cup final win after extra time. 

Didn’t like football monthly. IIRC that was the one entirely devoted to English football except for a half page “round up” of Scottish football near the back.