Football Magazines growing up.. - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Football Magazines growing up..

Just thinking about when I was young, long time ago. What football magazine's did you read? I basically grew up in Canada in my early teens. Used to take a bus to this one plaza, that had a shop called WH Smith. The only shop in Ottawa at the time that sold any UK football Mags. The one I used to get was called "Shoot". Fuckin loved it. I remember when the season kicked off this Mag would have a English and Scottish ladder table where you could move the teams up and down. It was brilliant. No internet back then, so this was my only source of info. My family back in Scotland would post me the odd newspaper, or the Celtic View. The only other magazine I could get here was called "Match"..  How times changed. So what was yir favorite football mag growing up? 

I was always into Shoot although I used to get fed up of them only really doing articles on top flight teams; Town being a 4th Division team in my peak years reading it. Like you though, I loved the league tabs. There was a little graph thing on as I remember as well where you plotted your teams progress. I still have my 1979-80 one where we finished 4th Div. champions. I used to sit waiting for my dad to finish reading the paper on a Sunday so I could update it. 

5 minutes ago, Huddersfield said:

I was always into Shoot although I used to get fed up of them only really doing articles on top flight teams; Town being a 4th Division team in my peak years reading it. Like you though, I loved the league tabs. There was a little graph thing on as I remember as well where you plotted your teams progress. I still have my 1979-80 one where we finished 4th Div. champions. I used to sit waiting for my dad to finish reading the paper on a Sunday so I could update it. 

I know the tabs mate. They even told you the clubs nickname and the ground they played at. To be honest, I miss that. Did Shoot come every week or every month, I cant remember.. Getting old. 😉

Football Scot and Scottish Football monthly ran for about four years in the early 70s. They were published by Ian Peebles and covered the then two senior divisions, the juniors and Highland League too.

Goal, Shoot, Football Monthly and World Soccer were the other regular periodicals on sale during that era.

1 hour ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

I know the tabs mate. They even told you the clubs nickname and the ground they played at. To be honest, I miss that. Did Shoot come every week or every month, I cant remember.. Getting old. 😉

I think it was every week. This should help with the memory loss...sadly I couldn't find 79-80, & we missed out on back-to-back promotions in 80-81 by one place. 17DDF203-6723-4CE0-8F52-F87F5288CC2C.jpe

10 minutes ago, Huddersfield said:

I think it was every week. This should help with the memory loss...sadly I couldn't find 79-80, & we missed out on back-to-back promotions in 80-81 by one place. 17DDF203-6723-4CE0-8F52-F87F5288CC2C.jpe

OMG mate. Yes... I had that. Loved it. Holy christ that brings back memories. Thank you pal. 👍

17 minutes ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

Showing my age here. I used to love collecting the old football cards in the 1970's with the manky bit of chewing gum (cardboard) you got with them. Swapping them with school pals was a tense past time if they had one you didn't have.

Incredibly people are still selling them. Imagine that brittle chewing gum will taste much the same. Couldn't beat opening a new pack of cards, even smelled great. There was information on the player on the back of card if I remember correctly. 

Edited by Och Aye

Just now, Och Aye said:

Incredibly people are still selling them. Imagine that brittle chewing gum will taste much the same. Couldn't beat opening a new pack of cards, even smelled great. 

If my memory serves me right, about 1 in every 10 or so cards in the mid-70s was Cyril bloody Knowles. Every kid I knew had a dozen or more of him. Your heart sank when you opened a packet & there he was on top because you knew you'd never swap him.

7 minutes ago, Huddersfield said:

If my memory serves me right, about 1 in every 10 or so cards in the mid-70s was Cyril bloody Knowles. Every kid I knew had a dozen or more of him. Your heart sank when you opened a packet & there he was on top because you knew you'd never swap him.

Pretty sure Martin Buchan was a sought after card.

3 minutes ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

Pretty sure Martin Buchan was a sought after card.

I know Martin buchan was the only one missing from my 1978 world cup panini album. 

Scoop was my football magazine/comic of choice. Jon stark match winner for hire. 

2 minutes ago, Rolling hIlls said:

If I close my eyes I can still see the Willie Pettigrew pic with his arms folded.  It's a sight that used to keep me awake as a child.  Some striker though.  Did he get any caps?  Canny be bothered googling it.

Yes 5 caps 2 goals including scoring in the 2nd minute of his debut v Switzerland.

2 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Yes 5 caps 2 goals including scoring in the 2nd minute of his debut v Switzerland.

Cheers Barney.  Did he play for any other senior sides apart from the Well?  When I was a boy used to get taken to Fir Park and remember him playing.  Keith McRae in goals (another sticker).

1 minute ago, Rolling hIlls said:

Cheers Barney.  Did he play for any other senior sides apart from the Well?  When I was a boy used to get taken to Fir Park and remember him playing.  Keith McRae in goals (another sticker).

He played for Dundee United I think?

Shoot huge for me in the 80s. But my auld man worked for McIntyre Bakers in Perth years ago. They were an institution in Perth. He delivered with them so when each Panini sticker book came out he’d roll in at 7am in the morning(he’d work through the night) with a mountain of stickers for you before your pals would be ready to swap at school. I remember the first “binder” that came out for a World Cup. It was Italia ‘90. The small things I remember from it were St. Johnstone’s mention on previous clubs of the likes of Ally McCoist. I kept the thing for years and always liked looking back at reserve players like Theo Snelders. 
As an immature laddie in 1990 though when it first came out I would find it amusing that the likes of S. Korea had players who had three names. Don’t ask me why this still sticks in my head but my Brother and I would giggle because there was a player in that S. Korea team called Gu Sang Bum. 😄