Am kinda scared of Brexit now - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Am kinda scared of Brexit now

26 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Dont worry. You will have the broad shoulders of the union to depend on . So long as you are not actually a fisherman. 

#ColonialQuay's flagship news programme Reporting Scotland covered Brexit tonight. Guess what industry Glenn Campbell highlighted? Yep, fishing. Hey ... We see you.

10 hours ago, Bonny79 said:

After years of wanting it and a bit of confirmation bias from the 2016 referendum, am now having wedding nerves a week before 🤮🤮🤮🤔🤔. 

Might or might not be the right thing to do. 

Haha am sure you are, I actually cant see the being that much difference to start with anyways 

57 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Haha am sure you are, I actually cant see the being that much difference to start with anyways 

Wish I had your confidence. In the food industry and suppliers have put the fear into me already about expected price hikes. Prices have been gradually but very noticeably increasing already to take the sting out of the sharp rise that's expected. My major supplier is preparing for a 20 to 40% increase. Obviously that then effects transport, animal feed, etc. Sincerely hope its not as severe as this. 

1 hour ago, Bonny79 said:

Food prices are set to come down I read. 

Know a guy who runs a slaughterhouse and they were saying there's potentially 20- 40% tariff going on imports of meat they're processing from EU and then potentially the same on meat exported back to EU so they'll be uncompetitive overnight in that space and have to refocus purely internally & ROW.  They went to a meeting with the Scottish Government and were basically told nobody knows what's going to happen.  

22 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:
#ColonialQuay's flagship news programme Reporting Scotland covered Brexit tonight. Guess what industry Glenn Campbell highlighted? Yep, fishing. Hey ... We see you.

The part about the minimum pricing on alcohol is a joke. 50 people were surveyed. Wft is the point of a survey of 50 people ? Especially when many of them admitted paying over the minimum alcohol price BEFORE the pricing was introduced.

27 minutes ago, Bonny79 said:

Minimum pricing has shown to work 

Exectly. So why is a survey based on 50 people,  many of whom paid above the minimum price before the pricing was introduced,  classed as ‘news’ in order to claim it isnt working. 

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

The part about the minimum pricing on alcohol is a joke. 50 people were surveyed. Wft is the point of a survey of 50 people ? Especially when many of them admitted paying over the minimum alcohol price BEFORE the pricing was introduced.

It was also study of 13-17 year olds. IIRC, MUP wasn't brought in specifically to target underage drinkers but rather, older problem drinkers who were drinking high strength low cost alcohol.   It might be that it was thought there would be an overall lowering of consumption across the board, but the target was that group specifically and people likely to find themselves in that group in the future.

A survey of 50 people is better than a survey of none, but it's still pretty limited.  The whole thing sounds like a pitch to get funding to do a bigger survey.   If I were the Public Health Minister, I'd say, I agree, we need to have a much bigger study and then I'd give the contract to someone else out of badness. 

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

Exectly. So why is a survey based on 50 people,  many of whom paid above the minimum price before the pricing was introduced,  classed as ‘news’ in order to claim it isnt working. 

Mmmm buckie

52 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Why not?:unsure:

Because it was already over the minimum unit price.   Buckfast is only slightly more alcoholic at 15% than a standard bottle of red wine.

The problem with Buckfast isn't so much the strength of the alcohol related to the price but also the amount of caffeine in it.  It's that combination that's particularly problematic when consumed in quantity.

Edited by aaid

2 hours ago, aaid said:

Because it was already over the minimum unit price.   Buckfast is only slightly more alcoholic at 15% than a standard bottle of red wine.

The problem with Buckfast isn't so much the strength of the alcohol related to the price but also the amount of caffeine in it.  It's that combination that's particularly problematic when consumed in quantity.

Ah right, I thought you meant it had some sort of exemption or something.