Terry Jones - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

5 hours ago, kumnio said:

A lot of truth in that, I loved Rab C Nesbitt 25 years ago, watched it about 5 years ago, and couldn't believe how bad it was.

The exception is OFAH which will remain a classic forever, and hopefully Still Game.

You have a love of OFAH because you’re an stingy cunt though who was raised in a schemie shitehole multi in Coagieville. It’s similar to my appreciation of All Creatures Great And Small and the Beechgrove Gairden. 😄

7 hours ago, WCTA said:

You have a love of OFAH because you’re an stingy cunt though who was raised in a schemie shitehole multi in Coagieville. It’s similar to my appreciation of All Creatures Great And Small and the Beechgrove Gairden. 😄

I thought you'd have been more Stig of the Dump ?

8 hours ago, fringo said:

I thought you'd have been more Stig of the Dump ?

Just ignore him, he is still struggling with the concept of indoor toilets and electricity, whilst struggling to accept that animals are for pets, livestock or wild animals, and not a home pleasure centre.

Years since I watched an episode of Monty Python but I remember them being a couple of minutes hilarity and 28 minutes of total silence.  The spin off programmes were better (Fawlty Towers, Ripping Yarns, Rutland Weekend Television).

The Python films are classics though.

Anyway RIP Terry, always found him interesting to listen to, a shame how his days ended.

6 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Years since I watched an episode of Monty Python but I remember them being a couple of minutes hilarity and 28 minutes of total silence.  The spin off programmes were better (Fawlty Towers, Ripping Yarns, Rutland Weekend Television).

The Python films are classics though.

Anyway RIP Terry, always found him interesting to listen to, a shame how his days ended.

The Monty Python TV programmes were off their time.  I can just about remember them but really wasn't old enough at the time.

Surreal comedy is that it dates really badly.   I used to think that Vic Reeve's Big Night Out was one of the funniest things I'd ever seen, I watched the recent revamp and thought, "what did I find funny about this pish".    Stuff thats a bit more straightforwards dates a lot better, for example, the fundamentals of Fawlty Towers about an obnoxious pretentious man who struggles to keep his anger in check is as relate-able today as it was when it was made.

9 hours ago, EddardStark said:

My favourite Python sketch.

That and...

The rest of it was completely incomprehensible sh*te.  I always got the feeling that folk were laughing cos they thought it was "hip" to.  Sort of like they did with The Young Ones.

10 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

That second sketch sums up the vast majority of conversations in non TA football section 🙂

I watched out of curiosity. They really were deeply unfunny!

edit: 1.23 seconds into Sketch one... off.

Edited by thplinth

3 minutes ago, thplinth said:

I watched out of curiosity. They really were deeply unfunny!

I didnt get it myself if I am completely honest, but that is probably as much to do with my mainstream tendencies than anything else.  Particularly in those days. 

17 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I didnt get it myself if I am completely honest, but that is probably as much to do with my mainstream tendencies than anything else.  Particularly in those days. 

Pre-internet they could pretty much sell us any pile of shite they liked. We were all told MP was hilarious... but from this thread it is clear it could barely crack a smile.

3 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

We get it thplinth.

You don't like Monty Python. Fair enough, that's fine.

However the thread is about Terry Jones' passing, not Monty Python.

Please stop being thprick.

Was just about to say like a dug with a bone. 

1 minute ago, thplinth said:

Barney, if you could post without swearing and being abusive that would be better. No bother though. Now we know MP is off limits we will let you get back to discussing the passing of Terry...RIP.

You are the one who wonders why this board is on its hind legs??

And yet you make a personal accusation on a thread that has otherwise been reasonable and informative about people's views on the lifespan of comedy.

OK - where's the swearing and abuse been from me then? 

11 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Oh ok Barnewankercuntarseholecocksuckingfudy. 

😀

Well done.

You are much more likeable when you want to have a friendly chat with your fellow posters without descending to personal attacks.

Edited by Barney Rubble

I thought I was until you waded in with your unwanted and abusive advice... again.

Remember this one... 

You have a bad habit of going off on a wrong tangent. 

This is just folk chatting... on the TAMB.

Stop trying to control it and make it into what you think it should be.