Terry Jones - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

'E's not pinin'! 'E's passed on! This python is no more! He has ceased to be! 'E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! 'E's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e rests in peace! If you hadn't nailed 'im to the perch 'e'd be pushing up the daisies! 'Is metabolic processes are now 'istory! 'E's off the twig! 'E's kicked the bucket, 'e's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisible!! THIS IS AN EX-PYTHON.

RIP.

27 minutes ago, bonzo said:

'E's not pinin'! 'E's passed on! This python is no more! He has ceased to be! 'E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! 'E's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e rests in peace! If you hadn't nailed 'im to the perch 'e'd be pushing up the daisies! 'Is metabolic processes are now 'istory! 'E's off the twig! 'E's kicked the bucket, 'e's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisible!! THIS IS AN EX-PYTHON.

RIP.

One of the most over rated unfunny sketches of all time. Like a lot of monty python. RIP Terry.

2 hours ago, shaggycoo said:

RIP Terry.

Do agreed with thplinth, never understood what all the fuss was about with MP, however  their films were much better. 

They seem to appeal to a certain type. (Creepy piss head ones obviously for a start.) I recall an old Harry Enfield interview when he was at the height of his fame and he said the same... that it was pretentious and actually not that funny (I am paraphrasing from ragged memory) and that he found guys like Dick Emery much funnier! There is a kind of weird comedy snobbery about MP. Never had me belly laughing at anything they did, least of all the parrot sketch, although I agree the movies were better. 

2 hours ago, thplinth said:

They seem to appeal to a certain type. (Creepy piss head ones obviously for a start.) I recall an old Harry Enfield interview when he was at the height of his fame and he said the same... that it was pretentious and actually not that funny (I am paraphrasing from ragged memory) and that he found guys like Dick Emery much funnier! There is a kind of weird comedy snobbery about MP. Never had me belly laughing at anything they did, least of all the parrot sketch, although I agree the movies were better. 

Yeah I never found it funny. Utter shite in fact. I seem to recall it was favoured by 70.s and 80s squaddies that would recite the lines on the piss after a hard day spent blasting away at Catholics. 

7 hours ago, thplinth said:

We can all be thankful you're not head of comedy on TV. Hale and Pace would still have a contract. 

You can see the likes of Dick Emery had more influence on Harry Enfield. Same characters all series with a new joke/scenario each episode. Great that  Monty Python came along with some anarchy, maybe only comparable to the Goons radio shows. Though they were developing their silliness on David Frost shows along with others like David Jason, who was very pissed off not to be in the Monty Python team. (Only Fools and Horses would have been weird without him tho. Jim Broadbent (Chief Inspector Slater) was preferred as Del Boy, it wasn't until John Sullivan, who didn't want David Jason at all, seen Jason, Lyndhurst and Leonard Pearce together that Jason got the part). David Frost deserves a lot more credit for mixing up the stuffy TV routine of that era. 

Not that I had a telly when I was a lad. We had it tough. Lived in't hole in't ground......... Luxury... 

38 minutes ago, Huddersfield said:

I think the lifespan of a lot of TV comedy is very short. With the onset of channels showing old programmes, I've watched various things that in their day I thought were brilliantly funny. Most of them now, I wonder what the hell I ever saw in them.

A lot of truth in that, I loved Rab C Nesbitt 25 years ago, watched it about 5 years ago, and couldn't believe how bad it was.

The exception is OFAH which will remain a classic forever, and hopefully Still Game.

Without checking I reckon I could still happily watch Laurel & Hardy all day. All day.

5 hours ago, Och Aye said:

We can all be thankful you're not head of comedy on TV. Hale and Pace would still have a contract. 

You can see the likes of Dick Emery had more influence on Harry Enfield....

I am not endorsing Harry Enfield or Dick Emery. It was just the first time I heard a famous (at the time) comic say something like that. Made me think... are they really that funny? 

I'll raise your Hale and Pace with Cannon & Ball. (shudder) Honourable mention to Victoria Wood. She paved the way when it came to having a long career in professional comedy without being (ever even once in her whole life) funny.  

11 hours ago, Jim Beem said:

Yeah I never found it funny. Utter shite in fact. I seem to recall it was favoured by 70.s and 80s squaddies that would recite the lines on the piss after a hard day spent blasting away at Catholics. 

Yeah there is something about their fans and doing this...memorized obviously. 

15 hours ago, thplinth said:

I'm old enough to remember them when they first hit the TV screen. I didn't think they were funny then, and I'm confident I would find them even less so now. But I'm not prepared to waste a minute of my life trying to find out.

I think you're right about them being liked by a certain "type". Some folk I knew were raving about them. The type who were into the likes of Uriah Heep and Jethro Tull and stuff. So, I watched it, (think it was the "funny" walks one?) - utter pish. Gave them another go and watched another couple of episodes- still pish.

There is no doubt that they were "different". They were competing against the likes of Dave Allen and "The Comedians", who were funny. But I never found MP to be funny.

And you would think that Harry Enfield should be a bit of an expert when talking about things that are unfunny. :lol:

But folk have different senses of humour. Some have none.

13 hours ago, Jim Beem said:

:lol:

That reminds me of a guy I knew years ago who's party piece was to recite the words from entire Bonzos albums word for word. He didn't try to sing them just recite them like they were poetry. Once he got started he couldn't stop, he had to go through the whole album. He didn't get invited very often.

46 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

:lol:

That reminds me of a guy I knew years ago who's party piece was to recite the words from entire Bonzos albums word for word. He didn't try to sing them just recite them like they were poetry. Once he got started he couldn't stop, he had to go through the whole album. He didn't get invited very often.

I had albums? don't remember that 🤔

6 hours ago, Huddersfield said:

I think the lifespan of a lot of TV comedy is very short. With the onset of channels showing old programmes, I've watched various things that in their day I thought were brilliantly funny. Most of them now, I wonder what the hell I ever saw in them.

This is true, very few stand the test of time. Laurel and Hardy and Fools and Horses have been mentioned already and I would agree with both. I think the Office may also end up timeless. 

I used to find Harry Enfield funny when I was young, but watching it now, apart from the two DJ’s the rest is absolutely awful