Brian Rice - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Did he bet on the Ladbrokes league, Betfred cup or William hill cup?

I don’t often agree with Ruth Davidson, but she has a point on this.

Unless he was betting on Accies games, it doesn’t really matter for me.

Fair play to him for owning up to his problem.

he’s got previous https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/former-hibs-star-brian-rice-2046228.amp

I appreciate it’s an addiction, but he borrowed the money in good faith and therefore should have accepting the consequences. I doubt he would have repayed the money if they had let him leave the country 

Edited by dan cake

In that report it says the rules state that no club official etc should bet on football. Does that include football outwith Scotland? For instance would him betting on Champions League or Europa League or Serie A matches (given that Hamilton aren't in any of those competitions) contravene that rule?

5 minutes ago, morrie21 said:

In that report it says the rules state that no club official etc should bet on football. Does that include football outwith Scotland? For instance would him betting on Champions League or Europa League or Serie A matches (given that Hamilton aren't in any of those competitions) contravene that rule?

Yes.

No player, coach, director, match official in Scotland can bet on any football, anywhere in the world.

Rules in England are the same, I believe.

6 minutes ago, morrie21 said:

He has only been at Hamilton for a year and i very much doubt any of his bets have involved Accies 

Saying that maybe they have been and that is why he is skint ....

36 minutes ago, Cove_Sheep said:

Yes.

No player, coach, director, match official in Scotland can bet on any football, anywhere in the world.

Since this came out today, I‘ve been led to believe I’m involved in that rule too, as a coach to a 2008 kids team 😂

4 hours ago, Cove_Sheep said:

Yes.

Cheers. I'm sure that rule is flaunted on a daily basis though - especially by players in the lower leagues

Even stewards and other matchday staff are subject to rules related to gambling.  When I was a steward at Hillsborough there was a rule that I couldn't bet on matches in any competition Sheffield Wednesday were currently participating in.  Doubt it would get enforced at that level unless you were somehow actively influencing the outcome of the bets during the game and caught.

Read lots of sympathy for Rice based on the fact bookies sponsor our game and are everywhere on football.

I don’t agree, that is being peddled as an excuse. He’s a grown man who should be able to make choices in life to ensure he doesn’t end up a jakeball.

They stopped the “ray winston” adverts by banning them before 9pm.

We now have 815pm kick offs in the EPL, meaning the 1st ad at half time can be live odds for the 2nd half.

🤷‍♂️

Football and TV companies are obviously being weighed in substantially!

Anybody remember this one - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/s/southampton/8236108.stm?  Not sure whether to be outraged or amused at the thought of him frantically trying to get the ball out the park!  :lol:

I don't see the problem with a player betting on a match he can't possibly have the remotest influence on.  A lower league player told me years ago that he put a coupon on every week and the first thing he did was put his own side down for a win.  Maybe he was unaware of the ruling - I certainly was - but it was more a statement of belief in his team to do the business.  I doubt if it made him try any harder than he already would.

5 minutes ago, daviebee said:

Anybody remember this one - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/s/southampton/8236108.stm?  Not sure whether to be outraged or amused at the thought of him frantically trying to get the ball out the park!  :lol:

I don't see the problem with a player betting on a match he can't possibly have the remotest influence on.  A lower league player told me years ago that he put a coupon on every week and the first thing he did was put his own side down for a win.  Maybe he was unaware of the ruling - I certainly was - but it was more a statement of belief in his team to do the business.  I doubt if it made him try any harder than he already would.

Aye, that’s a great story.

I think the zero tolerance is about removing any ambiguity. Seems a bit OTT but means there’s no excuses or grey area.

33 minutes ago, daviebee said:

Kevin Kyle told a story on Sportsound just before the LC final claiming his mates told him how Killie were "evens" to take kick-off against Rangers when he was captain and that as Weir always turned it round, it was a guaranteed winner with him being Killie captain.

He claimed that he won the toss and chose ends as he didn't want to get in trouble.

Slight problem with his story is that until the recent law change, the option of choosing kick-off wasn't available to the person who won the toss.

And it seems none of the folk in the studio thought to call him out on the nonsense either.

15 hours ago, daviebee said:

There was a couple of seasons at Stoke around that time if we won the kick off first half our second touch was always launching it down the line way beyond the winger's reach.  By the end the winger had even stopped chasing it - nobody really knew of spread-betting back then  so we just used to go mental how shit it was hoofing it into the third row of the stand every kick-off but looking back its blatantly obvious.  

1 hour ago, ThistleWhistle said:

There was a couple of seasons at Stoke around that time if we won the kick off first half our second touch was always launching it down the line way beyond the winger's reach.  By the end the winger had even stopped chasing it - nobody really knew of spread-betting back then  so we just used to go mental how shit it was hoofing it into the third row of the stand every kick-off but looking back its blatantly obvious.  

Think you’re reading too much into this, surely just kicking for touch like in rugby. Gets you down the pitch a tactic used by levein in hertz “heyday”

day”

20 hours ago, daviebee said:

West Ham, under that devout anti-gambling person, Harry Redknapp, did the same at, I think, Man Utd on last day of the season one year. Paul Kitson got the centre and launched it right out for a throw in. Don't think there was even any attempt at calling it a pass, it almost went out where the centre line dissected the touchline, shortest possible route!

22 hours ago, dan cake said:

Think you’re reading too much into this, surely just kicking for touch like in rugby. Gets you down the pitch a tactic used by levein in hertz “heyday”

day”

Nah mate - the fella who did it had a wand and could have got it right down in the corner if that was the aim plus we had a headless chicken up top who would have chased it down so the defender had to put it out.  

This was basically always about halfway inside the opposition's half a few yards beyond or over the winger.  Swear down looking back it was blatant.  

On 21 January 2020 at 10:05 PM, daviebee said:

The rationale behind banning betting on all football is because those people in the game have contacts throughout the game and so could be party to information that wasn't in the oubliette domain.  A bit like insider dealing.    I'm not sure I necessarily agree with it, but that's the reason.