Bobby Brown 1923-2020 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Bobby Brown 1923-2020

ErsatzThistle

Former Scotland goalkeeper and manager Bobby Brown died today aged 96.

Played for Queen's Park (when they were still a top division team), Rangers and Falkirk.

Five caps for Scotland between 1946 and 1952. It looks like he was the last Scotland international from the 1940s at the time of his death.

Managed St Johnstone before taking the Scotland job. He was Scotland's manager when we beat England in 1967.

Did anyone from the TAMB ever get to meet him and have a chat in years gone by ?

I reached out to the writer of his autobiography last year to invite him to the Tartan Army Sunshine Appeal, and was really shocked when I got a reply of he would love to attend.

weeks passed and every now and again got a message “Bobby can not wait” and “he had a real spring in his step these days that the fans have reached out to him” (impression I got was he felt a tad forgotten about by the fans).

Unfortunately he had to cancel at the last minute as his sister had taken unwell, but few days later a box with 7 signed copies of his autobiography arrived in the post with his regards.

Actually spoke with his agent just 2 weeks ago and asked how he was and told “he is good”, so really sad to hear. 

Sad news tonight, he would have been 97 in March.

I did have some dealings with Bobby.

I contacted him a few years back as I was writing an article for a fanzine and his number was actually in the 'phone book.

He was very approachable and we spoke a few times before he invited me to his home in Helensburgh.

Really pleasant guy whose memory was remarkable.He described his view of the winning goal in the Victory International as if it had been scored the previous week.

Another thing I remember about that visit was that the programme from Wembley `67 was on his coffee table. Not sure if it was permanently on display or just coincidence!

Spoke to him less regularly over the past couple of years but  - thankfully - I did call him around Novermber and we had a chat.

He told me he had just had an operation on an ear but that was still active.

He was, incidentally, the oldest living Rangers player. Not sure who takes over that mantle now.

RIP Bobby you were a true gentleman.