Oli McBurnie - Page 7 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Oli McBurnie

0Neils40yarder

3 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

it’s easy enough, just don’t pick them any more.  For me, mcburnie is at the bottom of the queue. I hope dykes has a great game and we forget all about mcburnie.  He has a long long road back....  there was the tunnel video last year, and now this. Plus he has done nothing in a Scotland jersey.

I'd agree with that... Look at Northern Ireland.. Get a team of players that love playing for the country and turn up buzzing whenever they turn up, and they can beat anyone.

We have two teams worth of players that are just as good as Northern Ireland. I'm not sure what the right blend is as some previous call offs of certain individuals may be perfectly explainable. That's Steve Clarke's job to figure out though, as he should be able to observe that dynamic. 

We need to develop a club mentality in the squad. I imagine that some of the players that have not bought into that (Fraser?) may now start to get left out from future squads.

Still astonished at all the comments about this. Seriously all our “strikers”are fking pish at the moment and no way good enough or the answer.  The sooner a top level striker comes along the better. ( I know there’s not much chance of that at the moment). Fkin McBurnie, Dykes etc can do one, just no where near good enough. I’d be tempted to put McGinn upfront on his own, knows how to put the ball in the net for one thing.

3 hours ago, JECK said:

Still astonished at all the comments about this. Seriously all our “strikers”are fking pish at the moment and no way good enough or the answer.  The sooner a top level striker comes along the better. ( I know there’s not much chance of that at the moment). Fkin McBurnie, Dykes etc can do one, just no where near good enough. I’d be tempted to put McGinn upfront on his own, knows how to put the ball in the net for one thing.

Now don't be silly. Celtic did that with Christie and got dumped out of the champions league.

8 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

Strangely this time England have had more withdrawals than us.

Not sure about England as I don’t pay attention to their squad but as I stated elsewhere I think the EPL clubs won’t mind their international players getting a couple of competitive games in their legs before the league starts. 

"Nobody is more frustrated than me at having to withdraw from the Scotland squad for this double-header. I know both my club and international managers have explained the situation but I feel it’s important I do too.

The reality is I haven’t been able to train at all for the last two weeks due to a cut in my foot that became infected. Given that pre-season coincides with the Nations League matches as a result of the COVID-19 impact on football, the last thing I wanted to do was let myself or my country down.

I was ready and willing to give it my best but both managers - probably rightly - took the decision out of my hands. Playing a bit longer than I expected in a friendly is a different world to an international double-header but I get how some people perceive it.

I will be supporting my team-mates from home and putting in the work to get fit for October. Stay safe and see you soon."

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/oli-mcburnie-breaks-scotland-silence-22619510

On the face it looks bad but the 3 sides of the story (managers and players) makes sense and is probably the correct call. Although between the 3 of them they would have been better to have the discussion earlier and not named him in the squad, unless of course they were trying to give him every chance of making it. 

22 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

One of the biggest problems I have with international Football is you won't hear what Clarke or McBurnie think. 

Quote my self but hey ho.

Congrats to Clarkes management on this and good to hear McBurnies thoughts as well.

Won't stop the uninformed having a go at him next time he plays.

Personally think any one who went on the Mexico/Peru double header(like McBurnie) shouldn't need to provide a sick line in future.

18 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

I hope Oliver McBurnie has a great season next season. I hope he bangs in the goals of Sheffield United and I hope that he grows up and matures, both as a footballer and as a human being.

Then, and only then, will he be ready to lead the line of Scotland.

Let's stop the pitchforks and torches routine. It's not like we're losing Ronaldo.

Besides, in my opinion, these matches are glorified friendlies. I expect two losses, whether or not we have a fully fit McBurnie.

Bump.

This and his tweet, I'm more than willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

It's strange that McBurnie is taking pelters for pulling out, whilst, just a few days ago Kieran Tierney admitted that he has never attended a Scotland match, as a fan.

The former took the time to explain the reason he pulled out. Which says to me that he cares. I don't remember Tierney or Fraser making the same gesture, after the numerous times they pulled out.

Talking of social media, Tierney never mentions Scotland.

It's time that people here stopped with the which hunt and stopped making a fuss over, what is essentially, not important. (Covid-19, anyone?)

1 hour ago, Taylor1996 said:

Bump.

This and his tweet, I'm more than willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

It's strange that McBurnie is taking pelters for pulling out, whilst, just a few days ago Kieran Tierney admitted that he has never attended a Scotland match, as a fan.

The former took the time to explain the reason he pulled out. Which says to me that he cares. I don't remember Tierney or Fraser making the same gesture, after the numerous times they pulled out.

It's time that people here stopped with the which hunt and stopped making a fuss over, what is essentially, not important. (Covid-19, anyone?)

This is hardly a surprise. 

I would be surprised if more than a quarter the current squad had been to a Scotland match as a supporter. A couple of them probably hadn’t even set foot in Scotland before they were selected. 

1 hour ago, Taylor1996 said:

Always found it odd how active Tierney is on Twitter and the like, shows his love for everything Celtic (and I don't blame him) yet absolutely zero for the country he represents. 

I know he did a paper interview the other day about raring to go, repaying faith, etc, etc. To me, that's just talk that he thinks the papers and fans want to hear, 

The clubs rule and we had the same issue with Tierney. Clarke seems Ok with it and he has said he is frustrated and the decision was taken out of his hands.

What more can he say. hopefully fit for October!

Edited by sandyb

22 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Always found it odd how active Tierney is on Twitter and the like, shows his love for everything Celtic (and I don't blame him) yet absolutely zero for the country he represents. 

I know he did a paper interview the other day about raring to go, repaying faith, etc, etc. To me, that's just talk that he thinks the papers and fans want to hear, 

Exactly. Players who show their love they support? Fair enough. However, I can't understand players that don't share the same love for their country. I'm guessing his father wasn't much of a patriot, either, otherwise Tierney snr would've dragged his son to Hampden to support Scotland.

Yeah. That article didn't really cut any ice with me. Him, along with Fraser, are the players who I think are the least committed.

McBurnie, I think is one of the most committed. I never remembered him ever pulling out of an under 21 squad. And I remember an article he did a while back, and he said that him Dad followed him playing everywhere, when he played with the under 21s and he loved making his Dad proud.

I think some people need to lay off a wee bit. Doesn't help when the Daily Record are stirring the pot.

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

Presumably his foot is better now. He hasn’t trained for 2 weeks apparently. 

Cheers!   One upon a time Scotland players were my heroes.   Now that I'm a miserable auld git, they're as much a reason to reach for the Gaviscon as my own offspring :rolleyes:

I have been particularly vocal about the mcburnie situation, but given the recent statements from all sides I am coming to the view that I was too quick to judge. I will reserve that and see what happens over next month or two.  If dykes plays well he is man in possession.

14 hours ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

I think I'll give McBurnie the benefit of the doubt over this withdrawal. Not many players over the years have provided a written statement as to why they have pulled out. Fair play to him

I'm just wondering who wrote it for him.