Oli McBurnie - Page 6 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Oli McBurnie

0Neils40yarder

3 minutes ago, DOUBLE A said:

Bit bizarre but seen this

Ā 

Speaking after the full-time whistle, Wilder explained: "I spoke to Steve [Clarke] beforehand and he agreed with us that given where Oli is at, he was better off being with us and doing this.

"He was happy with everything and we kept him fully informed of everything."

Well 90% of posters will assume that makes it McBurnies fault because he should have told his manager and the team that pays his wages to take a hike. I mean wouldn't we all?

Everyone getting in a pickle about this player, normally Iā€™d give a shi* but the fact is heā€™s just not that good.

Norway have got haaland and Serbia have got Mitrovic who already has 34 fking international goals to his name. Ā The fact is Oil Mcburnie just isnā€™t that great and Iā€™d be very surprised if he could impact the the play off matches or many other.Ā 
Ā 

Chris Wilder is doing us a favourĀ 

4 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Clearly our best striker so it's a real pity we are without him...I'm actually surprised more of the anglos haven't pulled out as they will be nowhere near match fit

Weā€™re in the strange position where the English clubs probably want their players to get a couple of competitive games under their belts before the season starts.Ā 

That would probably explain why weā€™ve only had 2 withdrawals (with one of them 100% genuine) instead of our usual 4 or 5.Ā 

43 minutes ago, DOUBLE A said:

Ā 

Speaking after the full-time whistle, Wilder explained: "I spoke to Steve [Clarke] beforehand and he agreed with us that given where Oli is at, he was better off being with us and doing this.

Sounds like bs, but Clarke can't call him out or McBurnie's career is over.Ā Ā  Which Wilder doesn't give two funks about.Ā Ā  Not seen him kick one ball for Scotland so Ā  :wave:

21 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Weā€™re in the strange position where the English clubs probably want their players to get a couple of competitive games under their belts before the season starts.Ā 

That would probably explain why weā€™ve only had 2 withdrawals (with one of them 100% genuine) instead of our usual 4 or 5.Ā 

English clubs in general would prefer to keep their players where they can see them at this stage of preseason I'd have thought

29 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

Sounds like bs, but Clarke can't call him out or McBurnie's career is over.Ā Ā  Which Wilder doesn't give two funks about.Ā Ā  Not seen him kick one ball for Scotland so Ā  :wave:

Wilder is less given to talking bs in interviews than the vast majority of football managers, I've no reason to disbelieve what he is quoted as saying after tonights game. Ā Sorry it doesn't fit the world view of many on here. Ā https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/news/oli-mcburnie-scotland-sheffield-united-18863334Ā Ā 

Ā Ā 

Just now, Paulus said:

Wilder is less given to talking bs in interviews than the vast majority of football managers, I've no reason to disbelieve what he is quoted as saying after tonights game. Ā Sorry it doesn't fit the world view of many on here. Ā https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/news/oli-mcburnie-scotland-sheffield-united-18863334Ā Ā 

Ā Ā 

Fair enough, as I don't watch football down south.Ā Ā  Just my gut reaction.

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

One of the biggest problems I have with international Football is you won't hear what Clarke or McBurnie think.Ā 

From what I can see this was a case of "injury management" by Sheffield UTD and or McBurnie. I doubt very much he would play an EPL game this weekend if there was one.

Basically we need a manager who can sort this out either through motivation or discipline . I can see McBurnie and/ or Fraser getting thrown under the bus after this.Ā 

Clarke has made a statement about it.Ā 

Kind of makes sense but I doubt it will cut much ice around these parts.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/12017/12061353/steve-clarke-happy-with-oli-mcburnie-sheffield-united-appearance-after-scotland-call-off

Edited by Texas Pete

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/12017/12061353/steve-clarke-happy-with-oli-mcburnie-sheffield-united-appearance-after-scotland-call-off

Exactly what I said.

The lad isn't fit. If people want an unfit player on the bench, fair enough, but I don't.

Doesn't take much for people to ger angry around here. I think there's an element of the reincarnates from Salem in this place.

4 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

We are being dicked about. Ā They decided he was playing the friendly after he pulled out. Ā Iā€™m in no doubt that Clarke was not asked butĀ Ā informed. Ā Shows that nobody gives a toss about these matches.

How do you know this?

2 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

How do you know this?

I donā€™t. Ā Itā€™s just my opinion. Ā Think the plan was tell Stevie you are injured. Out the squad. I will phone him and let him know we are playing you in a friendly, the Stevie will have to come out and say itā€™s fine to save face.

4 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

I donā€™t. Ā Itā€™s just my opinion. Ā Think the plan was tell Stevie you are injured. Out the squad. I will phone him and let him know we are playing you in a friendly, the Stevie will have to come out and say itā€™s fine to save face.

If I didnā€™t know better Iā€™d say you were a bitter old cynic.Ā 

3 hours ago, DOUBLE A said:

Ā 

Assuming that's true, why wasn't it made clearer at the time that that's why he'd withdrawn and that an arrangement had been struck with Sheffield United?Ā 

I'm still not happy it - these are important games for Scotland, not just a couple of daft friendlies - but this has been handled badly by the SFA.

3 hours ago, JECK said:

Everyone getting in a pickle about this player, normally Iā€™d give a shi* but the fact is heā€™s just not that good.

Norway have got haaland and Serbia have got Mitrovic who already has 34 fking international goals to his name. Ā The fact is Oil Mcburnie just isnā€™t that great and Iā€™d be very surprised if he could impact the the play off matches or many other.Ā 
Ā 

The thing is, who else do we have who would?Ā  I know he isn't exactly the new Denis Law but like it or not, Ollie McBurnie's probably the best player we have in that position at the moment.Ā Ā 

I remember Charlie Nicholas throwing his toys out of the pram because he felt he was being overlooked by Andy Roxburgh, so Roxburgh just stopped picking him altogether.Ā  Roxburgh could afford to leave out the gifted but stroppy striker; if only Steve Clarke could afford such a luxury.

Easy to be cynical when this kind of thing happens every squad.Ā 

Granted weā€™re never gonna be the greatest of teams but attitude and commitment appears to be lacking in some of the squad, especially for friendliesĀ and run of the mill qualifiers.

Been like this since McLeish left the first timeĀ 

Edited by ParisInAKilt

I hope Oliver McBurnie has a great season next season. I hope he bangs in the goals of Sheffield United and I hope that he grows up and matures, both as a footballer and as a human being.

Then, and only then, will he be ready to lead the line of Scotland.

Let's stop the pitchforks and torches routine. It's not like we're losing Ronaldo.

Besides, in my opinion, these matches are glorified friendlies. I expect two losses, whether or not we have a fully fit McBurnie.

Guest ElChris04

Forgetting the latest McBurnie Drama or the talk of RyanĀ Fraserā€™s lack of commitment.

Maybe Iā€™m in the minority with this, but for once in a long time Iā€™m very confident going into both gamesĀ and itā€™s mainly due to the positive vibe Iā€™ve seen from the players in the squad in the press and on social media, something I havenā€™t seen in years.Ā 
Ā 

- Tierney doing a very sincere interview the other dayĀ about Scotland and his passion he has for hisĀ country and how much it hurt him when peopleĀ doubted his commitment.Ā 
Ā 

- Dykes choosing us over Australia, and like coming across very meaningful with wanting to do well with Scotland and make his family proud along with ā€œbecoming a greatā€.

Ā 

- ThenĀ thereā€™s most recently been interviewĀ with McTominay who yet again is full of love for his countryĀ and his pride himself and his family have when he plays for Scotland.

finally some filler interviews with the likes of McLaughlin,Ā Jack who are also buzzing going into the Scotland games.Ā 
Ā 

there seems to be a good vibe going about the camp, going off social media too everyone looks genuinely happy. Letā€™s try move the negatively away and focus on many of the big positives that we have had this week. Or at least try.Ā 

6 minutes ago, ElChris04 said:

Forgetting the latest McBurnie Drama or the talk of RyanĀ Fraserā€™s lack of commitment.

Maybe Iā€™m in the minority with this, but for once in a long time Iā€™m very confident going into both gamesĀ and itā€™s mainly due to the positive vibe Iā€™ve seen from the players in the squad in the press and on social media, something I havenā€™t seen in years.Ā 
Ā 

- Tierney doing a very sincere interview the other dayĀ about Scotland and his passion he has for hisĀ country and how much it hurt him when peopleĀ doubted his commitment.Ā 
Ā 

- Dykes choosing us over Australia, and like coming across very meaningful with wanting to do well with Scotland and make his family proud along with ā€œbecoming a greatā€.

Ā 

- ThenĀ thereā€™s most recently been interviewĀ with McTominay who yet again is full of love for his countryĀ and his pride himself and his family have when he plays for Scotland.

finally some filler interviews with the likes of McLaughlin,Ā Jack who are also buzzing going into the Scotland games.Ā 
Ā 

there seems to be a good vibe going about the camp, going off social media too everyone looks genuinely happy. Letā€™s try move the negatively away and focus on many of the big positives that we have had this week. Or at least try.Ā 

Some good points and well said.

I still think we'll lose up both matches, though.Ā šŸ˜›Ā 

Hopefully I get proven wrong.

3 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Easy to be cynical when this kind of thing happens every squad.Ā 

Granted weā€™re never gonna be the greatest of teams but attitude and commitment appears to be lacking in some of the squad, especially for friendliesĀ and run of the mill qualifiers.

Been like this since McLeish left the first timeĀ 

Actually, turnout under Strachan was exceptionally good... The mentality that opting out the Scotland squad was entirely acceptable began in McLeish's first games back... That trip to Peru and Mexico. Ever since then we've been struggling and there's no doubt it hurts us as we've struggled to find a consistent team/squad.

29 minutes ago, COLT NY said:

Actually, turnout under Strachan was exceptionally good... The mentality that opting out the Scotland squad was entirely acceptable began in McLeish's first games back... That trip to Peru and Mexico. Ever since then we've been struggling and there's no doubt it hurts us as we've struggled to find a consistent team/squad.

itā€™s easy enough, just donā€™t pick them any more. Ā For me, mcburnie is at the bottom of the queue. I hope dykes has a great game and we forget all about mcburnie. Ā He has a long long road back.... Ā there was the tunnel video last year, and now this. Plus he has done nothing in a Scotland jersey.