Oli McBurnie - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Oli McBurnie

0Neils40yarder

2 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

Personally, I think he'll score goals for us. Not loads but he'll do alright in the end.  

Hopefully, I’m just struggling to see anything he’s ever done in a Scotland shirt as a positive. Would be delighted to be proved wrong obviously 

6 hours ago, ProudScot said:

I don’t think it’s OTT at all. 

He’s clearly a clown, average at his profession & doesn’t want to play for Scotland.

Embarassing we even bother with him given the above. 

A) we've played plenty of clowns over the years

b) if he's average, and managing to score a shit load of goals at championship level and even one or two at EPL level, what does that make our other options? 

C) if he 'clearly' didn't want to play for Scotland, then it's pretty simple... He'd knock back the call

Edited by 0Neils40yarder

Personally I had always hoped for Iwelumo to get some more caps so this wasn't the end and we wouldn't remember him solely for that miss.  We have plenty other players who failed to take a chance and although we may remember them,  those are in among other more positive moments.  

8 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

Personally I had always hoped for Iwelumo to get some more caps so this wasn't the end and we wouldn't remember him solely for that miss.  We have plenty other players who failed to take a chance and although we may remember them,  those are in among other more positive moments.  

According to old BBC articles and so forth - Iwelumo as a young player at Stoke City was in fact called up for Scotland's ill-fated Far East Tour of 2002. However Vogts let him remain with Stoke when they got into promotion play offs as he thought that would be a good experience for him. He then proceeded to forget all about Iwelumo.

The big man also twice turned down the opportunity to play for Nigeria too, he was really keen to play for Scotland.

Shame it never worked out for him in a Scotland jersey he was clearly proud as punch to wear. :(

1 hour ago, ErsatzThistle said:

According to old BBC articles and so forth - Iwelumo as a young player at Stoke City was in fact called up for Scotland's ill-fated Far East Tour of 2002. However Vogts let him remain with Stoke when they got into promotion play offs as he thought that would be a good experience for him. He then proceeded to forget all about Iwelumo.

The big man also twice turned down the opportunity to play for Nigeria too, he was really keen to play for Scotland.

Shame it never worked out for him in a Scotland jersey he was clearly proud as punch to wear. :(

Despite his miss he actually played quite well when he came on. He was winning knock-downs and was doing well as a big target man. Shame he remembered for his miss and never got much of a chance after that.

35 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Despite his miss he actually played quite well when he came on. He was winning knock-downs and was doing well as a big target man. Shame he remembered for his miss and never got much of a chance after that.

I know. What a hero he'd have been had he tapped in the winner on his debut. 

At the friendly against Argentina a month or two later, there were some fuckwits in the stands who booed him when the lineups were announced. :banghead:

On McBurnie...

1. He's a easily good enough for our squad. Those saying he's shite are simply wrong. Two very good seasons in the championship and a good start to his debut season in the EPL. We don't have a striker at this level. You need to give players a chance at international level - he's had limited chances to impress. 

2. He's a fanny. There's three separate negative non-football related stories about him this season. 1 or 2 you could probably explain but 3...no smoke without fire.  

3. By far the worst one is the drink driving. And he's pleading not guilty, claiming only to have one drink...which is clearly just a lie. Would have had way more respect if he'd accept his punishment and apologise. 

4. Does his the fact he's a fanny outweigh his footballing ability? Is he a bad influence on the squad? At the moment probably not. Let's see if he can grow up though. 

5 minutes ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

On McBurnie...

1. He's a easily good enough for our squad. Those saying he's shite are simply wrong. Two very good seasons in the championship and a good start to his debut season in the EPL. We don't have a striker at this level. You need to give players a chance at international level - he's had limited chances to impress. 

2. He's a fanny. There's three separate negative non-football related stories about him this season. 1 or 2 you could probably explain but 3...no smoke without fire.  

3. By far the worst one is the drink driving. And he's pleading not guilty, claiming only to have one drink...which is clearly just a lie. Would have had way more respect if he'd accept his punishment and apologise. 

4. Does his the fact he's a fanny outweigh his footballing ability? Is he a bad influence on the squad? At the moment probably not. Let's see if he can grow up though. 

I'd also like to know how much he, and every other Scotland player drinks. For me, as professional athletes in the modern era of football you shouldn't be going out every weekend and drinking 10 pints. Fair enough over the summer and during breaks but not during the season when you've got a duty for your club and ambition with your country. If you want to play at the very top and get Scotland to a major tournament get your body in peak physical condition. 

51 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

There far too much being made of McBurnie attending this game and making gestures. he's been a little bit daft with the gestures but it hardly warrants the FA getting involved. 

I would agree. Same with Frazer Aird a few weeks ago too. 

People pretending to give a fuck and be offended at someone making gestures at a football match are a special kind of sad case

1 hour ago, Terry Munro said:

I would agree. Same with Frazer Aird a few weeks ago too. 

People pretending to give a fuck and be offended at someone making gestures at a football match are a special kind of sad case

a pair of dafties who need to grow up a little, nothing more. 

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
5 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Tbf i was running wild when I was 24 so I ain't gunna judge him, I probably would of been 10x worse had I been earning his kind of money and in the public eye. Must be alot of clean cut Church goers in the TA. 

You think not drink driving and behaving like a ned makes you a goody two shoes?

1 hour ago, Jim Beem said:

Not surprised at all. The guy has always struck me as a complete Ned. Basically a thick cunt with a wad of dough. Terrible mix. Scottish Football has a horrendous record of churning out these fucking cretins. 

Can we blame him on England? 

Anyone who drink drives is a twat 

4 hours ago, kumnio said:

You think not drink driving and behaving like a ned makes you a goody two shoes?

Nah but i think alot are quick to judge young guys who are in the public eye. Young lads and lots of money can quite often result in trouble. Most young lads get to make their life mistakes out of the public eye. 

5 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Tbf i was running wild when I was 24 so I ain't gunna judge him, I probably would of been 10x worse had I been earning his kind of money and in the public eye. Must be alot of clean cut Church goers in the TA. 

You don’t have to attend church  to avoid being a total fucking helmet. You can just try not behave like a total fucking  helmet. 

I admire your honesty though. 

• 1 month later...