Historical games/teams - Page 4 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Historical games/teams

7 minutes ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

24,000 - sold out for random xmas and new years games too , and european games

depends what you mean exactly by glory days tho - in SAFs last few seasons - i recall he bemoaned the fact that 18k -ish showed up to see EC quarter final v Gothenburg (we got 20k v dinamo berlin in a lesser competition / round few seasons earlier) suspect having paul wright playing up front had a lot to do with folks apathy - by end of his tenure , we were getting horsed away to Sion and his final signing of davie dodds suspect may have been a practical joke

we were getting close to 20k for lot of games in those championship winning seasons - hearts & hibs always brought decent supports too - part of the issue tho too back then was away fans were given the whole of cavernous beach end ; sometimes home fans were allowed (the left side) centre was no mans land - a classic example was scottish cup replay v hearts (1-0 Stark) on wed after sat draw at tynecastle (Clark - Black i think 1-1) - no tickets printed an mental pay at the gate crowd - thinking 28,0000 ish....hearts were in one section i think , maybe 2 , and home fans were in other with minimum separation ; lots of standing in south stand , paddock etc = was similar situation few years later at boxing day game v hibs - this time tho was lock outs ; ditto inverness years later

btw first job in 83 - oil and gas office - some 50 folk , me and receptionist  - only locals - only me ever went to the games......... 

I was a student in Aberdeen from 1983 to 1986.  I probably went to 20-30 games at Pittodrie in that period and I don't really recall having much problem getting tickets.   I know they had the voucher scheme in place for big game but from memory that tended to be European games.  They didn't always give the whole Beach End to away fans.  I can recall one midweek game in the depths of winter being in the Beach End with a Rangers and they only had half of it.  It was snowing heavily and I think the game was in some doubt.   Doug Bell and Jim Bett were both sent off. 

22 minutes ago, aaid said:

I was a student in Aberdeen from 1983 to 1986.  I probably went to 20-30 games at Pittodrie in that period and I don't really recall having much problem getting tickets.   I know they had the voucher scheme in place for big game but from memory that tended to be European games.  They didn't always give the whole Beach End to away fans.  I can recall one midweek game in the depths of winter being in the Beach End with a Rangers and they only had half of it.  It was snowing heavily and I think the game was in some doubt.   Doug Bell and Jim Bett were both sent off. 

i may have been at that game - if the same one ; orange ball - think angus or falconer scored for dons - i was indeed in beach end that night - was split into 3 sections ; Aberdeen had section nearest south stand - i think the middle was empty ; was a meaningless game from memory and weather was bad

not as bad weather as the new years game v st johnstone tho......

37 minutes ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

i may have been at that game - if the same one ; orange ball - think angus or falconer scored for dons - i was indeed in beach end that night - was split into 3 sections ; Aberdeen had section nearest south stand - i think the middle was empty ; was a meaningless game from memory and weather was bad

not as bad weather as the new years game v st johnstone tho......

That was the one, I remember it being unusual that a player from each side was sent off against their former club.

After the game I remember being forced by the police over the hill and down to the Beach Boulevard where the Rangers buses were. It was covered in snow and more than a few - myself included - went arse over tit on the way down.   I had no business going that way as I was heading into town and going to the Flesh Exchange at the Metro but Grampian Constabulary were having none of it.

i think that configuration in the Beach End wasn't uncommon as remember going in the away end for a game against St Johnstone - mate was from Perth - and it was the same. 

12 minutes ago, aaid said:

That was the one, I remember it being unusual that a player from each side was sent off against their former club.

After the game I remember being forced by the police over the hill and down to the Beach Boulevard where the Rangers buses were. It was covered in snow and more than a few - myself included - went arse over tit on the way down.   I had no business going that way as I was heading into town and going to the Flesh Exchange at the Metro but Grampian Constabulary were having none of it.

i think that configuration in the Beach End wasn't uncommon as remember going in the away end for a game against St Johnstone - mate was from Perth - and it was the same. 

the broad hill that 'll be 

is kind of bizzare that the old 'away' end was the paddock/king st end - old 1st div days - in an era when full segregation was not implemented - lot of the old men and men and kids would still go to the paddock as closer to town / buses etc

72' i was in there for the 2-3 celtic game ;varga & darts - and a 2-2 rangers game where we had to move to south terrace as full up - am pretty sure you could move freely round 3 sides of the stadium - main stand being seperated

3 hours ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

the broad hill that 'll be 

is kind of bizzare that the old 'away' end was the paddock/king st end - old 1st div days - in an era when full segregation was not implemented - lot of the old men and men and kids would still go to the paddock as closer to town / buses etc

72' i was in there for the 2-3 celtic game ;varga & darts - and a 2-2 rangers game where we had to move to south terrace as full up - am pretty sure you could move freely round 3 sides of the stadium - main stand being seperated

this would have been when area in front of the gasometer which  had the scaffolding where the half time scores at other grounds went up,but you had to have a programme to "de -code" the teams and yes you could change ends  during the game ,usually half time just shuffle round with everyone else.