Historical games/teams - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Historical games/teams

43 minutes ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

Should of stuck to my original guess then...

another bizzare location for olympics ‘48 was green pond in Walthamstow which was my old ‘manor’ in london , had no idea of this at the time ; lived close to the dog track , but never visited there ; altho did the wimbledon one a few years later ; near old plough lane - last i read was wimbledon were planning on relocating to old dog track

Just out of interest & given we’re about the same age, when we’re you in Walthamstow? I spent a few months in  dump of a bedsit there in 1982 (Erskine Road). There was a pub I frequented fairly regularly on the High Street called The Cock,  which was a massive Spurs pub, walls covered in scarves & memorabilia as I remember. 

22 minutes ago, Huddersfield said:

Just out of interest & given we’re about the same age, when we’re you in Walthamstow? I spent a few months in  dump of a bedsit there in 1982 (Erskine Road). There was a pub I frequented fairly regularly on the High Street called The Cock,  which was a massive Spurs pub, walls covered in scarves & memorabilia as I remember. 

Was way later than that ; 95-97 til move to kensal green ; then wimbledon

was on blackhorse lane ; was a pub at station ( live music ) but our local was a little place tucked away run by an ex boxer- likely spent more time ‘up west’ than in Walthamstow central - i did like the village tho and windmill pub / dont recall that spurs pub tho

30 minutes ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

Was way later than that ; 95-97 til move to kensal green ; then wimbledon

was on blackhorse lane ; was a pub at station ( live music ) but our local was a little place tucked away run by an ex boxer- likely spent more time ‘up west’ than in Walthamstow central - i did like the village tho and windmill pub / dont recall that spurs pub tho

Looks like it shut down for a while recently but has opened up again as the Cock Tavern. This is how I remember it more or less:

I spent most of my time there further in the East End (Bromley-by-Bow)...I was never a fan of London beer but there were some fantastic old London boozers around, some that had amazing histories. All either gone or turned into gastro pubs these days.

3 minutes ago, Huddersfield said:

Looks like it shut down for a while recently but has opened up again as the Cock Tavern. This is how I remember it more or less:

I spent most of my time there further in the East End (Bromley-by-Bow)...I was never a fan of London beer but there were some fantastic old London boozers around, some that had amazing histories. All either gone or turned into gastro pubs these days.

Blinding

must have passed it by ; but certain never inside

spent a fair few weekends down whitechapel way too

blind beggar etc

14 minutes ago, Huddersfield said:

Yeah just googled location ; know the area well but never inside that pub

tbh always thought area was bit of a hole ; but affordable for newcomer and 20 mins on tube to oxford circus was excellent 

17 minutes ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

Blinding

must have passed it by ; but certain never inside

spent a fair few weekends down whitechapel way too

blind beggar etc

I was in the Blind Beggar just the other week (down for a midweek game at Charlton), it looked on its knees. Back in the 80s you'd often see some old Cockernee "me, Reggie & Ronnie, we woz like that - show crossed fingers; he nivver shot you wivaat shakin yer 'and first" type. They'd look out for newbies in the pub, tell them they were "sat in the actual seat wot George Cornell woz sat in" & offer to regale them with tales of the old days...in return for booze of course.

Still one of my favourite pubs down there.

This was a good one as well, although it's very trendy now:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Widow's_Son,_London

21 hours ago, Huddersfield said:

I was in the Blind Beggar just the other week (down for a midweek game at Charlton), it looked on its knees. Back in the 80s you'd often see some old Cockernee "me, Reggie & Ronnie, we woz like that - show crossed fingers; he nivver shot you wivaat shakin yer 'and first" type. They'd look out for newbies in the pub, tell them they were "sat in the actual seat wot George Cornell woz sat in" & offer to regale them with tales of the old days...in return for booze of course.

Still one of my favourite pubs down there.

This was a good one as well, although it's very trendy now:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Widow's_Son,_London

Another that sprung to mind ; was on a corner , think it was the white hart , bare floorboards and an old dear on the joanna; was very quiet even back mid 90s

the pans pipes andes mob would always show up busking looking for cash with no joy

used to work at john browns in paddington ; fridays 3pm finish straight to boozer with lads ; some nice mews pubs round town

1 hour ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

Another that sprung to mind ; was on a corner , think it was the white hart , bare floorboards and an old dear on the joanna; was very quiet even back mid 90s

the pans pipes andes mob would always show up busking looking for cash with no joy

used to work at john browns in paddington ; fridays 3pm finish straight to boozer with lads ; some nice mews pubs round town

I lived in the block of flats you can see to the left of this place (Bromley-by-Bow) for just short of 3 years. My first real exposure to a properly rough as hell pub. There was an old Irish couple ran it who operated an 'open all hours' policy...& had no end of dodgy dealings with local Police & wrong-uns. We'd sometimes be in there at 2 or 3am & get chucked out by a shedload of the local plod, who would then lock the doors (with themselves on the inside of course). Like something out of Minder at times. It was the first time I ever saw someone get clattered so hard that they flew backwards & smashed a table.

On 1/14/2020 at 3:41 PM, Huddersfield said:

It was indeed. We must be the same age. I remember by that point in life being an avowed Leeds hater already (not helped by being in a school full of glory-hunting Leeds & Liverpool supporters). I got an absolute roasting off my mother who couldn’t understand why I was supporting Germans over a Yorkshire team. The ref (I think) being a smart guy took an instant dislike to the brutal tactics Leeds employed in those days (covering the period 1350-present day) & gave a world-class display of shafting them. Cue Leeds fans destroying as much of Paris as they could squeeze in before the trip home. 

What “brutal tactics” do Leeds employ present day? 

1 hour ago, macy37 said:

What “brutal tactics” do Leeds employ present day? 

That kind of post is everything that’s wrong with modern football. I have a perfectly good prejudice that’s been brewing and festering in my brain for half a century & you want it backing up with stats & analysis. 

Start of a slippery slope this. It’ll be VAR on the TAMB before you know it 👀 😉

17 hours ago, Huddersfield said:

I lived in the block of flats you can see to the left of this place (Bromley-by-Bow) for just short of 3 years. My first real exposure to a properly rough as hell pub. There was an old Irish couple ran it who operated an 'open all hours' policy...& had no end of dodgy dealings with local Police & wrong-uns. We'd sometimes be in there at 2 or 3am & get chucked out by a shedload of the local plod, who would then lock the doors (with themselves on the inside of course). Like something out of Minder at times. It was the first time I ever saw someone get clattered so hard that they flew backwards & smashed a table.

I may have been in there ; south side of main drag

used to weekend at a pad ( old council block like the ones on the bill ) closer to stepney tho - we entered via a back door and appeared to be a birthday party for some old folk / karaoke 

14 hours ago, Huddersfield said:

That kind of post is everything that’s wrong with modern football. I have a perfectly good prejudice that’s been brewing and festering in my brain for half a century & you want it backing up with stats & analysis. 

Start of a slippery slope this. It’ll be VAR on the TAMB before you know it 👀 😉

Ah, you’re talking pish then?!😂

Bayern line up that played Rangers in the ECWC semi at Ibrox in 72 included Maier, Beckenbauer, Breitner, Hoeness, and Muller. I might be wrong but I think Celtic played against Inter in Glasgow on the same evening in the EC Semi. The combined attendance was 155,000.

Edited by EddardStark

3 hours ago, EddardStark said:

Bayern line up that played Rangers in the ECWC semi at Ibrox in 72 included Maier, Beckenbauer, Breitner, Hoeness, and Muller. I might be wrong but I think Celtic played against Inter in Glasgow on the same evening in the EC Semi. The combined attendance was 155,000.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/12532811.when-we-were-kings-the-night-155000-attended-two-european-semi-finals-in-glasgow/

14 hours ago, macy37 said:

Ah, you’re talking pish then?!😂

I do have some, completely objective analysis. 

Whenever we play Leeds, I always find myself shouting or singing such songs/phrases as “dirty cheating b@stard”, “same old Leeds scum-always cheating”, “you dirty Leeds b@stard” etc significantly more than the equivalents when we play (say) Brentford or West Brom.

Given that my analysis of what is happening is always 100% correct, that suggests there is something in it. 

7 minutes ago, dan cake said:

Leeds post Christmas form taking the usual dip it would appear 

Friend of mine - who's a dirty Leeds fan - pointed out to me that Leeds have been top of what ever division they've been in at the turn of the year at the start of the last four decades.

1990 - top of Division 2, finished 1st.
2000 - top of Premiership, finished 4th
2010 - top of League 1, finished 2nd
2020 - top of Championship, finished ?

11 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Is the old Fir Park still there? I was in Falkirk this past September, my uncle took me to see The Falkirk Wheel and the Kelpies. We drove past the New Falkirk stadium, quite nice actually.. 

No idea, it was East Stirling that played there, not Falkirk as it says on the video.