Historical games/teams - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Historical games/teams

Watching the FA Cup game Arsenal v Leeds. Leeds are playing well and got me thinking about the Leeds teams from the early/mid 70's. I new at one time Leeds had loads of Scottish players playing for them in that era. Had a google and I wasn't aware that Leeds played in the 1975 European Cup final with 6 scots in the squad, 5 starting David Stewart, Frank Gray, Billy Bremner, Peter Lorimer, Joe Jordan and Eddie Gray on the bench. Leeds lost 2-0 to Bayern Munich in the Parc De Princes. Had a look at the Bayern team and they had some great players: Sepp Maier, Franz Beckanbauer, Gerd Muller, Uli Hoeness. How football has changed for Leeds. Not been in the top division for 15 years, Bayern still one of Europe's best.

14 minutes ago, dan cake said:

Did they not once have Scotland’s England’s Ireland’s and the Welsh captains all in their team?

Definitely Bremner, Giles and Yorath played together as international captains, not sure about an England captain. Trevor Cherry skippered them but later on...

11 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Definitely Bremner, Giles and Yorath played together as international captains, not sure about an England captain. Trevor Cherry skippered them but later on...

They were still cheats though 😎

As an additional point of trivia, I used to live a few doors away from Trevor Cherry until he signed for the skip dwellers up the road & started earning big money. 

1 hour ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

Watching the FA Cup game Arsenal v Leeds. Leeds are playing well and got me thinking about the Leeds teams from the early/mid 70's. I new at one time Leeds had loads of Scottish players playing for them in that era. Had a google and I wasn't aware that Leeds played in the 1975 European Cup final with 6 scots in the squad, 5 starting David Stewart, Frank Gray, Billy Bremner, Peter Lorimer, Joe Jordan and Eddie Gray on the bench. Leeds lost 2-0 to Bayern Munich in the Parc De Princes. Had a look at the Bayern team and they had some great players: Sepp Maier, Franz Beckanbauer, Gerd Muller, Uli Hoeness. How football has changed for Leeds. Not been in the top division for 15 years, Bayern still one of Europe's best.

Gordon McQueen would've been there too but he was out suspended.

Changed days indeed.

Some interesting stuff amongst this, never realised how big a club Charlton were. Strange there’s mention of Edinburgh’s big team tho

https://talksport.com/football/130965/record-football-attendances-british-clubs-ranked-largest-ever-home-crowds-top-22-update/

Charlton’s ground was huge before they closed & redeveloped it. I went there first in 1981 & we had half of the great big terrace. The place was absolutely crumbling by then but it was a hell of a ground. 

We set a record there (before my time but classic Town) of becoming the only side in English league history to score 6 in a game & still lose. We actually threw away a 5-1 lead with about 20 minutes left & they were down to 10 men. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlton_Athletic_F.C._7–6_Huddersfield_Town_A.F.C.

I’m always amazed at how so many people fitted into these grounds. Leeds Road was essentially the same stadium when I started going in the 1970s as it was back in the 1930s. The biggest crowd I was ever in there was just under 30,000 & it was rammed. You really couldn’t move. I have no idea how they managed to fit in just under 70,000 for the Arsenal game on that list. 

20 hours ago, Huddersfield said:

Charlton’s ground was huge before they closed & redeveloped it. I went there first in 1981 & we had half of the great big terrace. The place was absolutely crumbling by then but it was a hell of a ground. 

We set a record there (before my time but classic Town) of becoming the only side in English league history to score 6 in a game & still lose. We actually threw away a 5-1 lead with about 20 minutes left & they were down to 10 men. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlton_Athletic_F.C._7–6_Huddersfield_Town_A.F.C.

Must've had them down on my coupon for an away win that day then.  :( 

On 1/10/2020 at 10:10 PM, Huddersfield said:

I’m always amazed at how so many people fitted into these grounds. Leeds Road was essentially the same stadium when I started going in the 1970s as it was back in the 1930s. The biggest crowd I was ever in there was just under 30,000 & it was rammed. You really couldn’t move. I have no idea how they managed to fit in just under 70,000 for the Arsenal game on that list. 

I seem to remember that the Valley was the largest ground in England at the time mainly due to that huge terrace.  I'm not sure they ever met the capacity though.  Just looking at the ground records and its 75,000 for an FA Cup tie against Villa in 1938 which while good is nothing particularly special at that time - this would be when Hampden would be getting crowds roughly double that.

The biggest estimated crowd - 80000 - was for The Who in 1974 which is also supposed to be the loudest rock concert ever.

The Who, Lou Reed, Humble Pie, Bad Company, Lindisfarne and Maggie Bell for £2.50.

A cracking picture of the old terracing here.  

http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/videos/225326/retro-football-the-who-lou-reed-and-friends-play-to-75000-fans-at-charlton-athletic-1974-photos-video.html

Edited by aaid

6 hours ago, aaid said:

I seem to remember that the Valley was the largest ground in England at the time mainly due to that huge terrace.  I'm not sure they ever met the capacity though.  Just looking at the ground records and its 75,000 for an FA Cup tie against Villa in 1938 which while good is nothing particularly special at that time - this would be when Hampden would be getting crowds roughly double that.

The biggest estimated crowd - 80000 - was for The Who in 1974 which is also supposed to be the loudest rock concert ever.

The Who, Lou Reed, Humble Pie, Bad Company, Lindisfarne and Maggie Bell for £2.50.

A cracking picture of the old terracing here.  

http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/videos/225326/retro-football-the-who-lou-reed-and-friends-play-to-75000-fans-at-charlton-athletic-1974-photos-video.html

check this out ; over the water

https://allbluedaze.com/2017/06/17/thames-afc-the-brief-life-a-club-sold-down-the-river/

120k stadium ; but also lowest league attendance ; 469 (altho i read a game at goodison had lower : recall there were 2 games on same day?)

a curious case for sure

then theres white city.....

30 minutes ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

https://allbluedaze.com/2017/06/17/thames-afc-the-brief-life-a-club-sold-down-the-river/

120k stadium ; but also lowest league attendance ; 469 (altho i read a game at goodison had lower : recall there were 2 games on same day?)

a curious case for sure

Interesting article, never heard of them before.

White City is another cracker as well.  I think if you asked most people to name the grounds used in the 1966 World Cup they'd struggle to get half of them  

8 hours ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

a curious case for sure

I always thought that the lowest ever crowd for an English Football League game was actually at Old Trafford. Stockport were playing there in 1921 after Edgeley Park was closed due to crowd trouble & attracted a ‘crowd’ of 13 to one of their games. Having said that, I had a quick look on their website & they don’t appear to acknowledge it, citing a different game altogether as their lowest ever gate. I don’t think I’ve imagined it!

19 hours ago, Huddersfield said:

I always thought that the lowest ever crowd for an English Football League game was actually at Old Trafford. Stockport were playing there in 1921 after Edgeley Park was closed due to crowd trouble & attracted a ‘crowd’ of 13 to one of their games. Having said that, I had a quick look on their website & they don’t appear to acknowledge it, citing a different game altogether as their lowest ever gate. I don’t think I’ve imagined it!

this may have been the same one i was thinking of - if its same one tho am sure was 2 games on back to back ; and some punters saw both - so the paying bit is not the same as the attendance.....

Search Results

Featured snippet from the web

Some reports suggest that the lowest ever attendance in the Football League came when a meagre 13 people watched Stockport v Leicester City on 7 May 1921 in a Division Two game. Indeed, only 13 people officially paid to watch the game, which was played at Old Trafford because Stockport's ground was closed

4 hours ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

this may have been the same one i was thinking of - if its same one tho am sure was 2 games on back to back ; and some punters saw both - so the paying bit is not the same as the attendance.....

Search Results

Some reports suggest that the lowest ever attendance in the Football League came when a meagre 13 people watched Stockport v Leicester City on 7 May 1921 in a Division Two game. Indeed, only 13 people officially paid to watch the game, which was played at Old Trafford because Stockport's ground was closed

Ah right, that explains it. I always thought it was a bit weird as it's not like the grounds are a vast distance apart & even in 1921 presumed that the Country faithful, fresh from their ruck against whoever it was, would have shown up.

5 hours ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

Search Results

You are spot on - A quick look at Wiki & 11v11 shows Man Utd at home to Derby that same day (the last game of the season), with a given attendance of 10,000. The Stockport game finished 0-0 so it was worth missing your tea for.

13 minutes ago, glasgow jock said:

Someone mentioned the Bayern Munich v Leeds European cup final of 1975 - was that game marred by lots of fighting in the terracing / stands ?? 

Seems to ring a bell - I was only 10 so could be mistaken.

It was indeed. We must be the same age. I remember by that point in life being an avowed Leeds hater already (not helped by being in a school full of glory-hunting Leeds & Liverpool supporters). I got an absolute roasting off my mother who couldn’t understand why I was supporting Germans over a Yorkshire team. The ref (I think) being a smart guy took an instant dislike to the brutal tactics Leeds employed in those days (covering the period 1350-present day) & gave a world-class display of shafting them. Cue Leeds fans destroying as much of Paris as they could squeeze in before the trip home. 

22 minutes ago, Huddersfield said:

It was indeed. We must be the same age. I remember by that point in life being an avowed Leeds hater already (not helped by being in a school full of glory-hunting Leeds & Liverpool supporters). I got an absolute roasting off my mother who couldn’t understand why I was supporting Germans over a Yorkshire team. The ref (I think) being a smart guy took an instant dislike to the brutal tactics Leeds employed in those days (covering the period 1350-present day) & gave a world-class display of shafting them. Cue Leeds fans destroying as much of Paris as they could squeeze in before the trip home. 

Aye same age group - my best mate is Leeds daft (think he has lots of Scottish relatives down there) - he's also Celtic daft, his mates that go to the Celtic games with him all hate Leeds for some reason - his retort is always They are my English team always have and always will.

I don't have an English team as such, but have always kept an eye out for Preston N.E. don't know why - the only reason I can think of is I was born in Preston Street, and I also liked the Liverpool team of the 80's - probably because of the amount of cracking Scot's in their team at the time.

Sound like am in same vintage too ; and for what its worth growing up then my english team was always leeds ; like many for the Scottish connection ; although only visited the city last year for the first time

must admit the modern game leaves me cold and am likely more interested in old stadia trivia and match of the 70s etc; magazine called backpass was heavily into for a while ; which roughly aligns with declining interest - from rabid to ‘meh’

1948 london olympic football venues ; now theres a topic.....

13 hours ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

Sound like am in same vintage too ; and for what its worth growing up then my english team was always leeds ; like many for the Scottish connection ; although only visited the city last year for the first time

must admit the modern game leaves me cold and am likely more interested in old stadia trivia and match of the 70s etc; magazine called backpass was heavily into for a while ; which roughly aligns with declining interest - from rabid to ‘meh’

1948 london olympic football venues ; now theres a topic.....

Without googling, I seem to remember that Champion Hill, the home of Dulwich Hamlet was one of the venues.   That's actually a different ground from where they currently play - also called Champion Hill - which is close by.   

Edit - seems I was right and wrong about Champion Hill.  It was a venue but the current ground was built on the site of the old ground.   They sold a load of land to Sainsburys which I thought was the old ground but was actually the training ground.

Another trivia question - which former Scotland manager has played at the original Champion Hill?

Edited by aaid

1 hour ago, aaid said:

Without googling, I seem to remember that Champion Hill, the home of Dulwich Hamlet was one of the venues.   That's actually a different ground from where they currently play - also called Champion Hill - which is close by.   

Edit - seems I was right and wrong about Champion Hill.  It was a venue but the current ground was built on the site of the old ground.   They sold a load of land to Sainsburys which I thought was the old ground but was actually the training ground.

Another trivia question - which former Scotland manager has played at the original Champion Hill?

Craig Brown is gut feeling ; something to do with crystal palace centre training...

ferguson would be my 2nd guess

3 hours ago, aaid said:

It was Craig Brown.  Played there for Scotland Schoolboys in the 1950s.

Should of stuck to my original guess then...

another bizzare location for olympics ‘48 was green pond in Walthamstow which was my old ‘manor’ in london , had no idea of this at the time ; lived close to the dog track , but never visited there ; altho did the wimbledon one a few years later ; near old plough lane - last i read was wimbledon were planning on relocating to old dog track