Let's save the FA Cup - Page 3 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Let's save the FA Cup

7 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

I’ve been taking my eldest son, younger one is only 3.

As they get older I’m hoping it will be something the 3 of us can do together, although I think I ruined my chances of getting the wife interested by taking her to a pre-season friendly at Carlisle. 😂

More a general statement than specifically about me, peoples work and home life have changed since “the good old days” although you wouldn’t have considered taking your wife and kids to a game in the 80s... 😂

In my experience, this whole issue of taking family to football is a complete minefield. My wife hates football & always has. I thought (when we were first together) that by persuading her to stand in the open end in the pouring rain at Barnsley, then hitch-hiking to London afterwards in wet clothes, she'd realise what a great life it was, but she always was stubborn & wouldn't have it.

Our eldest (miraculously she stayed with me) was mildly interested. I took her to a couple of games & as long as the sweets kept coming, she was fine. At 3, she had a bit of a thing about Fabrizio Ravanelli so I took her to an away League Cup game at Middlebrough. We got tonked 5-1 but she really enjoyed it, which perturbed me a bit. A couple of weeks later, the temperature started to get into single figures & she never went again. She later discovered my 1992 diary (her year of birth) & discovered that I'd written in the dates of the play-offs in my diary more prominently than her arrival. She still goes on about it today & doesn't realise just how hurtful that is, as we lost 2-1 to Peterborough in injury time.

My son, however, is a different kettle of fish. He was born addicted to football & will happily travel hundreds of miles to a pre-season friendly, spending money that for some reason people think should be going on crap like clothes & mortgages. So it can be hard, but you just have to persevere & get them to understand that the soul-destroying misery of supporting the teams that most of us do is actually good for them.

5 hours ago, Huddersfield said:

She later discovered my 1992 diary (her year of birth) & discovered that I'd written in the dates of the play-offs in my diary more prominently than her arrival. She still goes on about it today & doesn't realise just how hurtful that is, as we lost 2-1 to Peterborough in injury time.

🤣🤣

• 4 weeks later...

Im not really interested in english top flight football but the decsion by klopp not to got to the replay is disrespectful to both the competition and the opposition.

Theres no way a club or mamager should be allowed to do this in any competition. They can argue about too many matches all they want but they have massive squads nowadays and fitness levels are much much higher. They should be able to cope. 

Klopp seemed like a likeable chap till now when his arrogance has taken over. 

Edited by vanderark14

40 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Im not really interested in english top flight football but the decsion by klopp not to got to the replay is disrespectful to both the competition and the opposition.

Theres no way a club or mamager should be allowed to do this in any competition. They can argue about too many matches all they want but they have massive squads nowadays and fitness levels are much much higher. They should be able to cope. 

Klopp seemed like a likeable chap till now when his arrogance has taken over. 

I have a sneaky suspicion that the result of the first game was not necessarily fixed but, shall we say, stage-managed. The youth team were initially given a game in front of a noisy & hostile (as far as Shrewsbury is ever hostile anyway) crowd & by conceding the two goals as they did, also gives them a game at Anfield so it's essentially a decent training exercise for them.

I completely agree with you though, that Klopp should at least go through the motions of making it look like it's a first-team game.

What's also depressing is that the Liverpool 2nd/3rd team are good enough to deal with a mid-table League 1 side. Those kids could/should be playing at that level every week but instead are getting mopped up by the big academies.

Watched motd and saw some of the live games. The crowds at likes of Shrewsbury, Tranmere etc. Show there’s still an apetite amongst the fans for the FA cup.

Its the contempt some of the teams and the managers show for it that’s depressing.

Particularly when you get mid table sides who haven’t won anything resisting 10 players. 🤷‍♂️