Let's save the FA Cup - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Let's save the FA Cup

1 hour ago, Toepoke said:

Correct.  Queen's Park reached 2 finals, losing both to Blackburn Rovers. 

Rovers won it the next year too, and for winning 3 in a row they were given the reward of being the only club in England to have their club badge on their corner flag. That's no longer the case mind you

47 minutes ago, Huddersfield said:

Until I was maybe 7 or 8, I thought Queen's Park & QPR were local rivals. A bit like the Grandstand announcer who described Chester 1 Chesterfield 1 as "a score draw in the local derby".

Blackburn Rovers were initially rivals of a team called Blackburn Olympic who were a very interesting team. They were, in effect, the first working-class team to win anything. They were accused by (I think it was) Old Etonians of cheating/ungentlemanly behaviour, because they trained & also played a tactical game (pretty much the first example of playing a formation rather than the 'huddle & charge' kind of approach the public schools used).

A guy I know (folk singer type) wrote a song about them but he's so obscure I can't even find the CD in my cupboard never mind on YouTube!

The approach your describing of actually having a formation and passing the ball to team mates was actually known as the "Scottish Style" as that's how the game had developed in Scotland.  I'm not sure if it was Blackburn Rovers specifically, but it does sound familiar who were criticised for professionalism.  Basically the owners, were getting players down from Scotland and giving them jobs so they could play football.  

Of the 15 clubs to enter the first FA cup competition in 1871/72 only three are still in existence as clubs - although technically Royal Engineers are still going.   They are Queens Park, Maidenhead and Marlow.   There were clubs called Crystal Palace and Upton Park but they have no connection to the present day Crystal Palace or West Ham.

Marlow have the honour of having been the only club to have entered the FA cup in every season, entered rather than played as they scratched in 1910/11 and didn't play.  Maidenhead have played in all bar one year, at some point in the 1920s the club secretary decided it wasn't worth the entrance fee.

Both Maidenhead and Marlow were founded in 1870 and so are both celebrating their 150th anniversary next season.  That game in 1871 was both clubs first competitive game and was played at York Road where Maidenhead still play to this day, which makes it the oldest continually used ground in the world.  Maidenhead won 1-0.   Since Maidenhead and Marlow are only about five miles apart, this is probably also the oldest senior Derby in the world.  Given there's three divisions between the teams, it's not contested so regularly - last time was three seasons ago in the County cup - but I understand there's plans for a commemorative game next season. 

39 minutes ago, aaid said:

The approach your describing of actually having a formation and passing the ball to team mates was actually known as the "Scottish Style" as that's how the game had developed in Scotland.  I'm not sure if it was Blackburn Rovers specifically, but it does sound familiar who were criticised for professionalism.  Basically the owners, were getting players down from Scotland and giving them jobs so they could play football.  

Of the 15 clubs to enter the first FA cup competition in 1871/72 only three are still in existence as clubs - although technically Royal Engineers are still going.   They are Queens Park, Maidenhead and Marlow.   There were clubs called Crystal Palace and Upton Park but they have no connection to the present day Crystal Palace or West Ham.

Marlow have the honour of having been the only club to have entered the FA cup in every season, entered rather than played as they scratched in 1910/11 and didn't play.  Maidenhead have played in all bar one year, at some point in the 1920s the club secretary decided it wasn't worth the entrance fee.

Both Maidenhead and Marlow were founded in 1870 and so are both celebrating their 150th anniversary next season.  That game in 1871 was both clubs first competitive game and was played at York Road where Maidenhead still play to this day, which makes it the oldest continually used ground in the world.  Maidenhead won 1-0.   Since Maidenhead and Marlow are only about five miles apart, this is probably also the oldest senior Derby in the world.  Given there's three divisions between the teams, it's not contested so regularly - last time was three seasons ago in the County cup - but I understand there's plans for a commemorative game next season. 

Interesting stuff. I read a Brian Granville book when I was a kid & I've been fascinated by this stuff ever since. 

Are you free on Thursday for the quiz team? We’ve been thinking of dropping Frosty for a while & as it’s the transfer window...

2 hours ago, Huddersfield said:

Until I was maybe 7 or 8, I thought Queen's Park & QPR were local rivals. A bit like the Grandstand announcer who described Chester 1 Chesterfield 1 as "a score draw in the local derby".

Blackburn Rovers were initially rivals of a team called Blackburn Olympic who were a very interesting team. They were, in effect, the first working-class team to win anything. They were accused by (I think it was) Old Etonians of cheating/ungentlemanly behaviour, because they trained & also played a tactical game (pretty much the first example of playing a formation rather than the 'huddle & charge' kind of approach the public schools used).

A guy I know (folk singer type) wrote a song about them but he's so obscure I can't even find the CD in my cupboard never mind on YouTube!

All I want for Christmas is a Blackburn Olympic away kit

4 hours ago, Huddersfield said:

Another bit of triv, Blackburn Olympic won the FA Cup in 1883 followed by 3 wins for Blackburn Rovers. 

4 wins in a row from the same place has only happened one other time...

Edited by Toepoke

The Scottish cup has lost something too.

Could it go the same way?

I remember the 3rd round of the Scottish cup being a big occasion. Was large travelling Motherwell supports all through the 90s and early 2000s for games at love street, rugby park, stair Park, Tannadice, Easter road, even Ibrox.

Not sure if it’s TV, old firm domination or other factors that have dampened the appetite? (It’s not just me, is it?)

I’d have taken the kids to Dens for a 3pm ko, but as it’s on TV at 720 on a Saturday night, I’ll be watching in the house.

Last 4 finals I’ve been to we’ve been beaten by Celtic x 3 and Rangers once. Best thing that could happen would be Celtic going out early, that would make the competition interesting.

Edited by sbcmfc

28 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

The Scottish cup has lost something too.

Could it go the same way?

I remember the 3rd round of the Scottish cup being a big occasion. Was large travelling Motherwell supports all through the 90s and early 2000s for games at love street, rugby park, stair Park, Tannadice, Easter road, even Ibrox.

Not sure if it’s TV, old firm domination or other factors that have dampened the appetite? (It’s not just me, is it?)

I’d have taken the kids to Dens for a 3pm ko, but as it’s on TV at 720 on a Saturday night, I’ll be watching in the house.

Last 4 finals I’ve been to we’ve been beaten by Celtic x 3 and Rangers once. Best thing that could happen would be Celtic going out early, that would make the competition interesting.

I think the 2010s were a great decade for the Scottish Cup.  Decent spread of winners, some classic semis and finals especially, even in the last couple of years with Celtic dominating the finals were good games (apart from the Motherwell one).

Just a pity my own team are absolutely rank rotten in the competition. 

44 minutes ago, Farcity said:

I think people in general are just getting bored by football. There is way too much of it and the cups are the first casualty. 

I think that’s a factor.

its not the same, but you can watch games on TV every night if you want.

There’s also so many other things to do.

I think modern family life is different too. Dad fucking off all day on a Saturday after being at work all week certainly isn’t an option in my house. 😂

I quite like the league cup, it’s easier to get to being midweek.

2 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

I think that’s a factor.

its not the same, but you can watch games on TV every night if you want.

There’s also so many other things to do.

I think modern family life is different too. Dad fucking off all day on a Saturday after being at work all week certainly isn’t an option in my house. 😂

I quite like the league cup, it’s easier to get to being midweek.

Take the wife & kids with you?

1 hour ago, dandydunn said:

Take the wife & kids with you?

I’ve been taking my eldest son, younger one is only 3.

As they get older I’m hoping it will be something the 3 of us can do together, although I think I ruined my chances of getting the wife interested by taking her to a pre-season friendly at Carlisle. 😂

More a general statement than specifically about me, peoples work and home life have changed since “the good old days” although you wouldn’t have considered taking your wife and kids to a game in the 80s... 😂

1 minute ago, sbcmfc said:

I’ve been taking my eldest son, younger one is only 3.

As they get older I’m hoping it will be something the 3 of us can do together, although I think I ruined my chances of getting the wife interested by taking her to a pre-season friendly at Carlisle. 😂

More a general statement than specifically about me, peoples work and home life have changed since “the good old days” although you wouldn’t have considered taking your wife and kids to a game in the 80s... 😂

That was tongue in cheek, my wife went once, hated it and left at half time. Worked out just as planned 😂

Have taken all 3 kids at different stages, but youngest has stuck at it the most, even better ex use to go now as I’m doing it for him, not me. 

She’s starting to click on that he has no interest in being in the golf club at 10:30 on a Saturday morning though 😆

12 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

She’s starting to click on that he has no interest in being in the golf club at 10:30 on a Saturday morning though 

😂😂😂

Get him to St Johnstone, it’s cheaper if you take kids.

🤷‍♂️