Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I love it and it's broken.

How would you fix it?

The main factor for teams playing weakened teams seems to be that it is not important enough as it doesn't offer enough of a reward.

I'd fix this by offering a champions league place for the winner of the FA cup... bare with me here.

The argument would be that the league would lose a champions league place and in turn the excitement in the race for 4th place. I would change the league to accommodate this by introducing champions league play offs for 3rd - 6th placed teams. Working exactly the same as the championship playoffs. This would result in even more excitement in the league by offering teams the chance to chase 6th place and in turn the chance to qualify for the champions league.

 

The end of season play offs of 3rd v 6th & 4th v 5th with a showpiece final which would be a money spinner and guarantees full houses and a huge cash boost for the Premier League.

As it stands these would see Man City v Spurs / Chelsea v Man Utd

 

England receives 4 champions league places.

 

1 x FA Cup Winner

3 x Through the league (below)

 

English Premier League

1st - Champions League Place

2nd - Champions League Place

3rd - Play Off

4th - Play Off

5th - Play Off

6th - Play Off

 

This would absolutely see the FA Cup return to must see football and see teams really throwing everything they have at it.

*I'd keep replays in the FA Cup as it's a game changer for lower league clubs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In my experience, this whole issue of taking family to football is a complete minefield. My wife hates football & always has. I thought (when we were first together) that by persuading her to stan

If people in England don’t give a shit about an English football competition why should we, better idea would be to just have the champions in the top European competition that way the smaller nations

Threads like this, and the OP are textbook examples of stuff that should be in the "everything that's wrong with Scottish football" thread.

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, GaryWood34 said:

I love it and it's broken.

How would you fix it?

The main factor for teams playing weakened teams seems to be that it is not important enough as it doesn't offer enough of a reward.

I'd fix this by offering a champions league place for the winner of the FA cup... bare with me here.

The argument would be that the league would lose a champions league place and in turn the excitement in the race for 4th place. I would change the league to accommodate this by introducing champions league play offs for 3rd - 6th placed teams. Working exactly the same as the championship playoffs. This would result in even more excitement in the league by offering teams the chance to chase 6th place and in turn the chance to qualify for the champions league.

 

The end of season play offs of 3rd v 6th & 4th v 5th with a showpiece final which would be a money spinner and guarantees full houses and a huge cash boost for the Premier League.

As it stands these would see Man City v Spurs / Chelsea v Man Utd

 

England receives 4 champions league places.

 

1 x FA Cup Winner

3 x Through the league (below)

 

English Premier League

1st - Champions League Place

2nd - Champions League Place

3rd - Play Off

4th - Play Off

5th - Play Off

6th - Play Off

 

This would absolutely see the FA Cup return to must see football and see teams really throwing everything they have at it.

*I'd keep replays in the FA Cup as it's a game changer for lower league clubs.

If people in England don’t give a shit about an English football competition why should we, better idea would be to just have the champions in the top European competition that way the smaller nations might actually get a fare crack at it like before, bit radical but why not stop all the money fae Sky ruining football.

  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

The clubs down there don't give a flying f*ck about it so I'm not sure why we would.  There used to be something magical about the FA Cup but money's killed it unfortunately, and until English fitba implodes that magic won't come back any time soon.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Cove_Sheep said:

Threads like this, and the OP are textbook examples of stuff that should be in the "everything that's wrong with Scottish football" thread.

The reason @dan cake titled the other thread like that was to have a dig back at me. He’s been harbouring a grudge for a long, long time. Fair play to him though, I got it right away. 😂👍

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Jim Beem said:

Its beyond saving. Fuck them 🤷‍♂️

A thread fae the Tartan Army aboot saving an English sports event. That’s how fucked up our “fans” have become. 😫

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, WCTA said:

A thread fae the Tartan Army aboot saving an English sports event. That’s how fucked up our “fans” have become. 😫

This is the sort that thoroughly enjoy an Alan Shearer  and Danny Murphy game analysis

Link to post
Share on other sites

The FA cup finals in the 70s and 80s were fabulous

It's a shame but it's glory days like those are over and will never return

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

The FA cup finals in the 70s and 80s were fabulous

It's a shame but it's glory days like those are over and will never return

Ally, I think you're really looking back there with rose tinted spectacles and going off the back of highlights.

If you lived anywhere else other than the Borders or the Ayrshire coast and could pick up UTV or BBC NI, then you wouldn't have seen a live FA cup final apart from possibly replays.

They were always played on the same day as the Scottish Cup final and were blocked from live transmission by the SFA up until the late 70s when the SFA allowed the Scottish Cup final to be broadcast live and then they weren't shown because the Scottish cup final was being shown.   It's probably the 1990s before the FA Cup was broadcast live in Scotland when there was a period they were on different weekends.

The first FA Cup final I watched live on TV was Liverpool v Wimbledon in 1988 not long after I'd moved to England.

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, aaid said:

Ally, I think you're really looking back there with rose tinted spectacles and going off the back of highlights.

If you lived anywhere else other than the Borders or the Ayrshire coast and could pick up UTV or BBC NI, then you wouldn't have seen a live FA cup final apart from possibly replays.

They were always played on the same day as the Scottish Cup final and were blocked from live transmission by the SFA up until the late 70s when the SFA allowed the Scottish Cup final to be broadcast live and then they weren't shown because the Scottish cup final was being shown.   It's probably the 1990s before the FA Cup was broadcast live in Scotland when there was a period they were on different weekends.

The first FA Cup final I watched live on TV was Liverpool v Wimbledon in 1988 not long after I'd moved to England.

The first I remember very clearly was the Man City v Spurs game with the legendary Ricky Villa goal but as you pointed out, that was a midweek replay I’m sure

Also have vivid memories of the Arsenal v Man United 3v2 classic with ( I think ) Alan Sunderland scoring late on. Always sticks in my head that game but it was most likely highlights i watched that night

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Jim Beem said:

The first I remember very clearly was the Man City v Spurs game with the legendary Ricky Villa goal but as you pointed out, that was a midweek replay I’m sure

Also have vivid memories of the Arsenal v Man United 3v2 classic with ( I think ) Alan Sunderland scoring late on. Always sticks in my head that game but it was most likely highlights i watched that night

Those two games are the basis of a great quiz question.

Sunderland did in in 1979 and Villa did it in 1981, who did it in 1980?  

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, aaid said:

Those two games are the basis of a great quiz question.

Sunderland did in in 1979 and Villa did it in 1981, who did it in 1980?  

🤔 No clue, is it some weird play on the names  - Sunderland and Villa ? As in Aston Villa ? 🤷‍♂️

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, aaid said:

Those two games are the basis of a great quiz question.

Sunderland did in in 1979 and Villa did it in 1981, who did it in 1980?  

I’ve come across this before & fell for it so won’t give it away. Great question though!

Another good one is what happened in the 1946 (English)  Cup Final, again in 1947, had never happened before & has never happened since?

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Huddersfield said:

I’ve come across this before & fell for it so won’t give it away. Great question though!

Another good one is what happened in the 1946 (English)  Cup Final, again in 1947, had never happened before & has never happened since?

I've seen that one before, may well have happened since then but you probably wouldn't notice it nowadays.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, aaid said:

I've seen that one before, may well have happened since then but you probably wouldn't notice it nowadays.

Yes that's true. I think the general view is that post-WW2 austerity was to blame for the two incidents I mentioned.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jim Beem said:

The first I remember very clearly was the Man City v Spurs game with the legendary Ricky Villa goal but as you pointed out, that was a midweek replay I’m sure

 Aye Thursday night after Top Of The Pops, happened three years in a row.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, aaid said:

Those two games are the basis of a great quiz question.

Sunderland did in in 1979 and Villa did it in 1981, who did it in 1980?  

 

56 minutes ago, Huddersfield said:

Another good one is what happened in the 1946 (English)  Cup Final, again in 1947, had never happened before & has never happened since?

Classic trivia there.

Another one, what was unusual about the finals in 1884 and 85?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, aaid said:

Ally, I think you're really looking back there with rose tinted spectacles and going off the back of highlights.

If you lived anywhere else other than the Borders or the Ayrshire coast and could pick up UTV or BBC NI, then you wouldn't have seen a live FA cup final apart from possibly replays.

They were always played on the same day as the Scottish Cup final and were blocked from live transmission by the SFA up until the late 70s when the SFA allowed the Scottish Cup final to be broadcast live and then they weren't shown because the Scottish cup final was being shown.   It's probably the 1990s before the FA Cup was broadcast live in Scotland when there was a period they were on different weekends.

The first FA Cup final I watched live on TV was Liverpool v Wimbledon in 1988 not long after I'd moved to England.

First half highlights at half time in the Scottish Cup Final

Second half (plus extra time) highlights after full time in Scotland

Match of the Day extended highlights at night plus the build up on Grandstand in the morning

It was still miles ahead of the usual dross from a weary derelict Hampden

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Correct.  Queen's Park reached 2 finals, losing both to Blackburn Rovers. 

 

Until I was maybe 7 or 8, I thought Queen's Park & QPR were local rivals. A bit like the Grandstand announcer who described Chester 1 Chesterfield 1 as "a score draw in the local derby".

Blackburn Rovers were initially rivals of a team called Blackburn Olympic who were a very interesting team. They were, in effect, the first working-class team to win anything. They were accused by (I think it was) Old Etonians of cheating/ungentlemanly behaviour, because they trained & also played a tactical game (pretty much the first example of playing a formation rather than the 'huddle & charge' kind of approach the public schools used).

A guy I know (folk singer type) wrote a song about them but he's so obscure I can't even find the CD in my cupboard never mind on YouTube!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Huddersfield said:

Until I was maybe 7 or 8, I thought Queen's Park & QPR were local rivals. A bit like the Grandstand announcer who described Chester 1 Chesterfield 1 as "a score draw in the local derby".

Blackburn Rovers were initially rivals of a team called Blackburn Olympic who were a very interesting team. They were, in effect, the first working-class team to win anything. They were accused by (I think it was) Old Etonians of cheating/ungentlemanly behaviour, because they trained & also played a tactical game (pretty much the first example of playing a formation rather than the 'huddle & charge' kind of approach the public schools used).

A guy I know (folk singer type) wrote a song about them but he's so obscure I can't even find the CD in my cupboard never mind on YouTube!

Careful...

Can’t say you watch the FA cup on here...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...



×
×
  • Create New...