All-Time English Football League Table - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

All-Time English Football League Table

6 minutes ago, Huddersfield said:

Every week we sing "We're the greatest team in football the world has ever known", so there's clearly a mistake somewhere.

Not even the best in Yorkshire.😂

Bit that surprises me is Newcastle. They’re a perennial nothing club.

12 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Leeds must have nosedived down the table in recent years. 

Didn't realise Glossop once had a team in the top league!

Pub quiz question that one...who were the other ‘North End’ team to play in the league apart from Preston?

1 hour ago, surround said:

didn't know Sunderland were so consistent for so long. Both Sheffield teams a lot better historically than I expected (Wednesday still in the top 12 until early 2000s). West Brom surprising to me too.

Sunderland were once the wealthiest club in England, or at least spent the most money. So much so they were known as the Bank of England club. 

2 hours ago, macy37 said:

Bit that surprises me is Newcastle. They’re a perennial nothing club.

Aye - in our lifetime

I can remember a quiz question growing up about most FA Cup winners and Newcastle was the answer and i believe that stuck until the late 70s early 80s

14 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Aye - in our lifetime

I can remember a quiz question growing up about most FA Cup winners and Newcastle was the answer and i believe that stuck until the late 70s early 80s

Always thought it was Aston Villa till Man Utd and Arsenal stepped it up in recent years

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

1 hour ago, dan cake said:

Always thought it was Aston Villa till Man Utd and Arsenal stepped it up in recent years

Aye it must have been most cup final appearances that Newcastle held the record for.

Villa had the most wins from the 50s until Spurs caught up with them in the 80s.

6 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Aye it must have been most cup final appearances that Newcastle held the record for.

Villa had the most wins from the 50s until Spurs caught up with them in the 80s.

I think that might be right - Villa were definitely top winners when I was a kid, but I think Newcastle have a particularly impressive record for being runners-up at things. To be fair, I think they've won a few trophies in their time but most appearances sounds right for that period of history.

13 hours ago, Huddersfield said:

At the moment, I doubt we're even the best in Huddersfield. But it's a historic measure so we enjoy poetic licence.

Saw the stream v Stoke and couldn't believe how crap Huddersfield were - I thought those brothers had turned you around.

Mad how much money both teams got from the premiership but are totally inadequate to deal with the championship. We got battered by Preston and their side cost over ten times less than ours to assemble 

7 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Saw the stream v Stoke and couldn't believe how crap Huddersfield were - I thought those brothers had turned you around.

Mad how much money both teams got from the premiership but are totally inadequate to deal with the championship. We got battered by Preston and their side cost over ten times less than ours to assemble 

I think the EPL has the capacity to eat teams alive once they hit trouble. Last season was soul-destroying for us. We had a poor early transfer window, not helped by our chairman who developed a fairly serious illness. The upshot was once we started losing, the whole club just fell apart. 

What we’ve been left with is a core of players who are willing to work (half of which are injured) & about £40+m worth who can’t be arsed. The Cowleys have basically said they’re finished but until we offload them & hopefully cash in on Mooy as well, we’re scratting around to get a reasonable team together. 

I'm confident they’ll build a half decent team but don’t see us getting anywhere near those dizzy heights any time soon. Which I’m not altogether unhappy about. 

5 hours ago, Huddersfield said:

I think that might be right - Villa were definitely top winners when I was a kid, but I think Newcastle have a particularly impressive record for being runners-up at things. To be fair, I think they've won a few trophies in their time but most appearances sounds right for that period of history.

Newcastle actually drew level with Villa and Blackburn on 6 FA Cup wins in 1955, but Villa moved ahead of both with their 1957 success.