Iran 'assassination' & implications - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Iran 'assassination' & implications

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

So this happened on Thursday and he didn't speak to any other world leaders until today when he got back from his holidays.

10 hours ago, aaid said:

So this happened on Thursday and he didn't speak to any other world leaders until today when he got back from his holidays.

I dont know what is more concerning. That he didnt think the situation was serious enough to return home. Or that he thinks Dominic Raab is equipped to deal with it. 

8 hours ago, phart said:

Crazy, killed him after asking him to come discuss defusing the situation

Yep, this is tantamount to luring him out under a white flag to parley and then killing him. Pretty disgusting behaviour.

Big mistake killing the Iraqi commander as well. Both of these guys were hugely respected in the region and rightly so.

Murdered like this by a deceitful, bonespurs, coward President....

Also the 52 sites Trump threatened to bomb includes important historical / cultural sites... that is so fucked up as well.

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

I dont know what is more concerning. That he didnt think the situation was serious enough to return home. Or that he thinks Dominic Raab is equipped to deal with it. 

He's got form for this.  When there were riots in London as a result of the police shooting of Mark Duggan, he was on holiday then and didn't come back for days.  Apparently he was very reluctant to cut short his holiday.  It was only when Theresa May as Home Secretary started to take a lead and the "Where's Boris?" questions started to be asked that he came back.

He tries to spin that as being in some remote part of the USA, miles from anywhere.  I doubt there's anywhere in the USA that you couldn't get back to London in 24 hours from if it really mattered.

2 hours ago, aaid said:

He's got form for this.  When there were riots in London as a result of the police shooting of Mark Duggan, he was on holiday then and didn't come back for days.  Apparently he was very reluctant to cut short his holiday.  It was only when Theresa May as Home Secretary started to take a lead and the "Where's Boris?" questions started to be asked that he came back.

He tries to spin that as being in some remote part of the USA, miles from anywhere.  I doubt there's anywhere in the USA that you couldn't get back to London in 24 hours from if it really mattered.

I have no problem with politicians taking their holidays, but when major incidents happen such as this , or the events you mentioned,  the PM should be showing a bit more urgency.  Lying on a beach necking back rum punch with his Caribbean Queen doesn't fill people with much confidence.

He will soon find out his new position involves more than being a one trick pony ‘ GET BREXIT DONE’. 

7 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I have no problem with politicians taking their holidays, but when major incidents happen such as this , or the events you mentioned,  the PM should be showing a bit more urgency.  Lying on a beach necking back rum punch with his Caribbean Queen doesn't fill people with much confidence.

He will soon find out his new position involves more than being a one trick pony ‘ GET BREXIT DONE’. 

Well exactly, no problem with him being on holiday at all and in this case I don't even think he needed to come back immediately but to apparently not even pick up the phone until Sunday doesn't send out the strongest message.

I saw a good tweet over the weekend to the effect of - "Imagine it was Christmas 2024 and newly elected Labour PM, Jess Phillips" - bear with me here - "had sacked off the family Christmas with her kids and buggered off instead to a Caribbean island with her toyboy lover and was sitting there in similar circumstances what the reaction would be in the UK press".

I was sort of hoping Iran would just eat the loss and then Trump would be persuaded to drop sanctions and re-institute the nuclear deal or something, seems US is trying to downplay the attack , but Iranian TV claiming they have killed American troops.

On 1/5/2020 at 3:01 PM, Jim Beem said:

Whatever happens, Ive no doubt Johnson will meekly go along with whatever Trump does, dangling out the back of his bum hole Blair and Bush style. 

Johnson fails to comment on the US taking out Soleimani other than that we should not lament his death. 

Today he says it is not the UKs  job to determine if the act was illegal or not, whilst in the next breath ‘condemns the reckless and dangerous missile attack on the US airbases.’

Yep, I would say you are pretty much on the money. 

Yeah as contained in that article.

Philip Baum, the editor of Aviation Security International magazine, said it was too early to speculate.

He told The Independent the incident was notable “given the fact it was in Iran and the timing, and if you associate two states with shootdowns, as victims, then Ukraine springs to mind purely because of MH17,” and Iran, given the 1988 US shooting down of an Iranian civilian plane.

But, he added, it could just be “a bizarre coincidence that it should happen at this moment of time.”

“I just think there is nothing to indicate that it was a shootdown, and if it was shot down then by whom?”

Edited by phart

7 minutes ago, aaid said:

I wouldn't jump to any conclusions or make any assumptions until the facts become clear.

I am not jumping to any conclusions. Just providing an update.  Within a few hours it has gone from reported engine failure by Ukraine and denials that it was terrorist related or a missile that had hit it, to doubts.
Of course it all could be a terrible coincidence. 

16 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I am not jumping to any conclusions. Just providing an update.  Within a few hours it has gone from reported engine failure by Ukraine and denials that it was terrorist related or a missile that had hit it, to doubts.
Of course it all could be a terrible coincidence. 

I'd take the retractions of previous statements only that people are rowing back from what they've previously said was based on no material evidence.

There will of course be huge amounts of spin and counterspin.

I see there's a narrative forming that the Iranians are hiding something by refusing to hand over the black boxes to Boeing.    Under the international protocol for investigating air crashes it falls to it Iran to be the lead investigator - they shouldn't be handing the black boxes to anyone.

Edited by aaid