Iran 'assassination' & implications - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Iran 'assassination' & implications

Thought that this deserved a thread of its own. It's not just about Trump - is he a loose cannon, inspired by theology  or what are his military advisers up to?  Trump seems to be threatening to destroy Iranian cultural sites. If you thought Bush-Blair was bad, what about Trump-Johnson?

I see the Americans complaining that Europe is 'not helpful enough' - about an 'assassination' that the US did without apparently consulting anyone in Europe or anywhere. 

I see Craig Murray is questioning the legality of the strikes. 

So, what about the UK position - where is Boris Johnson?  Our Foreign Secretary? Corbyn''s response? Our Scottish leaders?

Sure I seen a tweet from Mike Pence saying this guy was part of the “terrorists behind 9/11” which I’m almost certain is completely false. No surprise there. Fake news .... 

It’s all very depressing, whatever happens you know it won’t be in the interests of the general public, in the US, Europe and the Middle East. Another bogus US intervention on behalf of war mongers. 

1 hour ago, exile said:

Thought that this deserved a thread of its own. It's not just about Trump - is he a loose cannon, inspired by theology  or what are his military advisers up to?  Trump seems to be threatening to destroy Iranian cultural sites. If you thought Bush-Blair was bad, what about Trump-Johnson?

I see the Americans complaining that Europe is 'not helpful enough' - about an 'assassination' that the US did without apparently consulting anyone in Europe or anywhere. 

I see Craig Murray is questioning the legality of the strikes. 

So, what about the UK position - where is Boris Johnson?  Our Foreign Secretary? Corbyn''s response? Our Scottish leaders?

Well Dominic Raab was on Andrew Marr this morning being pretty wishy washy but that's where he was.

i doubt this has much to do with ideology for Trump and everything about this year's presidential election and in particular his upcoming impeachment, Ie using foreign policy to deflect from domestic difficulties. 

I realise the status of our Generals is different to those in certain countries of the middle east however what would be the reaction if a high profile US or UK General, or god forbid a politician, was killed by Iran ?

That headline is very misleading.  The only quote in the article from an unnamed source in Israeli intelligence is that it "didn't come as a surprise".  That's doesn't mean there's necessarily knowledge beforehand and generally tends to suggest otherwise, ie, we didn't know they were planning to do that but weren't surprised they did.

While it may well be that the attack was illegal under international law, it won't make any difference to the US.   The source you're quoting is something of an Iranian apologist, so her view on the "facts" probably deserve to be treated to the same level of scepticism as someone like Fox News pushing a view that the USA was fully within their rights to act.

My knowledge of USA politics is fairly sketchy so maybe somebody can help to fill some gaps in my ignorance.

Could this all be linked to the impeachment process. I think that it's unlikely to happen because the Republicans have a majority in the Senate. But, are there enough mad mental Republicans prepared to threaten Trump with impeachment if he didn't carry out this act of terrorism? It just doesn't seem like something that he would willingly want to do. I'm just trying think of the "what's in it for him" angle here.

13 minutes ago, aaid said:

While it may well be that the attack was illegal under international law, it won't make any difference to the US.   The source you're quoting is something of an Iranian apologist, so her view on the "facts" probably deserve to be treated to the same level of scepticism as someone like Fox News pushing a view that the USA was fully within their rights to act.

Of course. 

But I agree with her opinion on this not serving the American people. 

9 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

My knowledge of USA politics is fairly sketchy so maybe somebody can help to fill some gaps in my ignorance.

Could this all be linked to the impeachment process. I think that it's unlikely to happen because the Republicans have a majority in the Senate. But, are there enough mad mental Republicans prepared to threaten Trump with impeachment if he didn't carry out this act of terrorism? It just doesn't seem like something that he would willingly want to do. I'm just trying think of the "what's in it for him" angle here.

Deflection, get impeachment off the front pages or maybe even get it suspended due to the crisis and try and bump up his base support by appealing to their patriotism.

i don't get the impression Trump has been in the grip of the extreme wing of the Republican Party in the same way Theresa May was with the ERG, I think it's actually the opposite, that moderate Republicans in Congress tend to be very wary of upsetting him for fear of the consequences for them electorally, the more rapid ones are probably right on board with him.

2 hours ago, aaid said:

Deflection, get impeachment off the front pages or maybe even get it suspended due to the crisis and try and bump up his base support by appealing to their patriotism.

i don't get the impression Trump has been in the grip of the extreme wing of the Republican Party in the same way Theresa May was with the ERG, I think it's actually the opposite, that moderate Republicans in Congress tend to be very wary of upsetting him for fear of the consequences for them electorally, the more rapid ones are probably right on board with him.

Pretty much spot on and if a plane full of holidaymakers gets blasted out of the sky by some crazy loose cannon group in retaliation, well... c'est la vie eh?  Fkin madness.  :(

40 minutes ago, daviebee said:

Pretty much spot on and if a plane full of holidaymakers gets blasted out of the sky by some crazy loose cannon group in retaliation, well... c'est la vie eh?  Fkin madness.  :(

Was having this discussion with my Mrs yesterday. We are going to Australia in March and the flight path we take is over the middle east, stopover in Dubai.

2 minutes ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

Was having this discussion with my Mrs yesterday. We are going to Australia in March and the flight path we take is over the middle east, stopover in Dubai.

Presumably you're flying Emirates, if so  I wouldn't worry about it too much. 

4 minutes ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

Yes, Emirates. Just need to see how things escalate.

Probably one of the safer airlines to fly as far as any terrorist threats are concerned.  I don't see Iran or their proxies taking out a plane from the flag carrier of a Muslim country which will have a large number of Muslim passengers.    Even if things get so bad there's a no fly zone, around Iran, they'll just reroute around it.  That's what happened in the last two gulf wars.  

39 minutes ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

You’ll probably be fine, the USS Vincennes was decommissioned a few years ago now.

40 minutes ago, aaid said:

Probably one of the safer airlines to fly as far as any terrorist threats are concerned.  I don't see Iran or their proxies taking out a plane from the flag carrier of a Muslim country which will have a large number of Muslim passengers.    Even if things get so bad there's a no fly zone, around Iran, they'll just reroute around it.  That's what happened in the last two gulf wars.  

Not overly concerned. Going with the mother in law she's nearly 80 and watching too much BBC news.

This was the guy (who they killed) who is really responsible for defeating Al Qaeda and ISIS in Iraq and Syria (in the air the Russians sure helped but this was the guy who apparently defeated those lung eating nutcases). That is why Israel hates him. It is a provocation. I think a sign of increasing desperation. If Iran is smart they do not take the bait.

The net result of this is Iraq and Iran are now unified. Trump's name is now unadulterated shit outwith the UAE, Saudi wank circle. Trump is really now coming home to roost... he is so dumb, he falls for every stupid ploy.