New £50 to £1000 Challenge - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

New £50 to £1000 Challenge

It'd be interesting to see how far everyone gets before being wiped out!

Simple idea: stick £50 in Betfair.

1. Look for a team playing away from home that's got odds of around 10/1 to win.  Lay this team.

2. Aim to win about 4% of your bank, i.e. £2 when starting from £50.

3. Compound the stakes so you're looking to get £2.08 from your £52 next day, etc.

4. Don't worry about losing days as what could possibly go wrong at 10/1?  :lol: 

4. A mere 78 bets in and we'll all be sitting on over a grand.

5. Keep compounding every day and come back and thank me this time next year when you've got about 80 million!

Image result for this time next year rodney

I'm starting today laying Everton at Man City.

21 minutes ago, phart said:

Was it desmondo the dentist who originally did this years ago.

They got quite far if i recall, though a slightly different rule set i think.

Aye that was him, dunno if he still posts.  He was backing short-priced winners. If he still does it I doubt if his nerves survived the Celtic-Accies game a few weeks back!  :lol: 

I confidently expect to lose my 50 quid but at least it'll be exciting watching live fitba when I care who wins or doesn't.  Just a bit of fun.  :) 

50 minutes ago, Terry Munro said:

I don't have Betfair but I i presume backing Man City/draw is the same as laying Everton 

Aye, when you lay a team on Betfair you're backing them NOT to win so any other result will do you.

You're basically functioning as the bookie, e.g. the lay odds on Everton were 11.5. I took £2 that some punter wanted to stake at these odds. If Everton won I'd have had to pay out £21.

19 hours ago, phart said:

Was it desmondo the dentist who originally did this years ago.

They got quite far if i recall, though a slightly different rule set i think.

I still do this every now and again.  Start the month with £10 and see how far I can get.

It's all about patience because you can end up betting on games you know nothing about just because the odds fit with the system.

The best I did was around 20 bets which gets you to around the £300 mark.  The winning increase more dramatically from that point.

I bet on rangers to beat Queens Park at Hampden and they did with a last minute winner.  Only time I've celebrated a rangers goal.  Feeling like luck was on my side, it all went on top of the league Sheff Utd to beat bottom of the league Hartlepool at home. Pretty sure Sheff Utd were unbeaten and Hartlepool had only won once all season.  What could go wrong? I still hate Sheff Utd.  I think I "lost" around £400 that day but I also think half the TAMB lost money on that match.  The worst thing was watching Jeff Stelling celebrate every goal.  

Edited by PASTA Mick

44 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

I bet on rangers to beat Queens Park at Hampden and they did with a last minute winner.  Only time I've celebrated a rangers goal.  Feeling like luck was on my side, it all went on top of the league Sheff Utd to beat bottom of the league Hartlepool at home. Pretty sure Sheff Utd were unbeaten and Hartlepool had only won once all season.  What could go wrong? I still hate Sheff Utd.  I think I "lost" around £400 that day but I also think half the TAMB lost money on that match.  The worst thing was watching Jeff Stelling celebrate every goal.  

I had those exact same bets on that scheme!  It was between Christmas and New Year a few years back. Think I lost about £600 of accumulated winnings.  Still smarts.

I found my attempt in the notes in my phone. Was December 2012.

Bet 1: A Madrid to beat celta Vigo @ 2/7 = £12.86

Bet 2: Phil Taylor to win 5th set @ 1/8 = £14.46

Bet 3: Rangers to beat Elgin @ 1/4 = £18.09

Bet 4: Man city to beat Reading @ 1/8 = £20.35

Bet 5: Barća to beat Vallidolid @ 1/4 = £25.44

Bet 6: R Madrid to win either half @ 2/7 = £32.71

• 3 weeks later...

Update: my betting bank now sits at £50.31!  :lol: 

Twice I've been up over £250.  I changed the strategy a bit as I got really p*ssed off the first time I got knocked back down to the original 50 quid.  Once I got back over 100 I started splitting things into 2 bets laying at odds of 20/1 or over instead of 1 at 10/1 as obviously that'd be safer!

You'd be amazed how often these 20/1 fkers happen!

Twice the bstrds have scored with nearly the last kick 4 minutes into injury time, twice a shower of no-hopers that haven't won all season and get rogered every week have gone away to the team at the top and turned them over, and twice 2 goals have been scored in the last 10 minutes to obliterate a correct score lay.  You couldn't BACK 2 correct scores in a row, but LAY the fkin thing at 50-60 quid liability and in they come!  :lol: 

Still in the game though.  Good luck Motherwell Reserves v Ross County Reserves tomorrow.