Nae Only An Excuse Thread? - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Nae Only An Excuse Thread?

Might check it out on iPlayer. It's sort of a tradition to see if I can get through without cracking a smile. Always seem to manage!  :lol: 

Hasn't been funny since the Donald Findlay karaoke routine and what was that - 25 years ago? I hope they're not still scraping the barrel of Souness "yeah, for sure", Dalglish "mibbies aye, mibbies naw" and the usual "wheres the burdz" that must have everybody under 45 wondering WTF they're on about!

Thought the (4 or 5....) football sketches were some of the best he has done in years.... Scottish Cup draw, Brendan Rodgers, Steve Clarke etc....

just a shame he went over board with politics, as they were really poor.

Just watched it. That was truly horrific and it'd be hard to pick out a lowlight from it. Cruachan power station... Taggart... Neil Oliver... complete and utter drivel.

Imagine going to the bother of getting dressed up in costumes for a one-minute sketch with scripts like that!

Had it on by mistake and it was cringeworthy

Went on twitter

SxGaPcca_x96.jpg

Marly

🇬🇧

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

Only An Excuse! Has anyone laughed yet? Pitiful. An insight into what tv would be like in an Indy Scotland.

Alex Norton must have a big tax bill to be involved in pish like that.

There's probably a place in the New Year schedule for a similar show, sketch based, comic review of the year but I've come to the conclusion that the two things that are wrong with the show are that it still clings to some pretence its about football and Jonathon Watson who gets worse each year.

Good to see they've finally dropped Frankie-boy and accepted that he can't do a Nicola Sturgeon butt Arelene Foster was even worse and as for Ian Blackford, best forgotten.

Only bit that I thought was halfway decent was the Greta Thundberg sketch.  

2 minutes ago, King Of Paisley said:

Way beyond its sell by date. Almost as cringeworthy as the Selling Scotland programme before it

I quite enjoyed that although they'd have better just showing the adverts and the interviews with the people involved and ditched the celebrity gogglebox stuff. 

2 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Had it on by mistake and it was cringeworthy

Went on twitter

Marly

🇬🇧

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

Only An Excuse! Has anyone laughed yet? Pitiful. An insight into what tv would be like in an Indy Scotland.

That’s my mother’s reason for voting against independence because the telly would be shite!

I watched it, it wasn't as bad as its been for the last decade, but still pretty pish. You almost much watch it to see how shite it is now, I don't suppose that the BBC will care about that, a viewer is still a viewer after all.

Mark Cox must be desperate for money after the end of Still Game, they would have got more laughs if Tam had appeared instead of one of the football or political skits.

1 hour ago, King Of Paisley said:

Way beyond its sell by date. Almost as cringeworthy as the Selling Scotland programme before it

I thought it was good (apart from the patter between adverts) and a lot of memories from the 80’s and 90’s.

Had no idea the famous Tennents Caledonia advert was only on tv for a short time, as I recall it never being off the tv.

2 minutes ago, dan cake said:

Nae idea what happened with my post or how to correct it. Anyhoo re only an excuse was my mother’s reason for voting against independence as the telly would be shite. I don’t do politics but this kinda makes her point 

Miranda is the argument to that. Or Michael McIntyre. Or well, common sense or basic reality really.

15 minutes ago, dan cake said:

Nae idea what happened with my post or how to correct it. Anyhoo re only an excuse was my mother’s reason for voting against independence as the telly would be shite. I don’t do politics but this kinda makes her point 

Did you know that over here in independent Ireland, we can watch the BBC/ITV on free-to-air, with the entire UK TV output (including BBC Scotland and Only An Excuse!) on Sky/Virgin?

5 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

Did you know that over here in independent Ireland, we can watch the BBC/ITV on free-to-air, with the entire UK TV output (including BBC Scotland and Only An Excuse!) on Sky/Virgin?

She’s 75 I don’t think she has to pay either 

3 hours ago, dan cake said:

Erm, it doesn't make her point

5 hours ago, aaid said:

Alex Norton must have a big tax bill to be involved in pish like that.

Imagine Watson has talked him into doing it while filming Two Doors Down (probably more with the Taggart sketch in mind, and roped him into doing more).

I actually didn't think it was too bad this year (albeit it is a low bar!). Definitely better than it has been some years, where you're lucky if you laugh once.

The Brendan Rodgers, Stephen Thompson/Leanne Crichton and Steve Clarke sketches were probably my favourites.  Greta Thunberg with Glaswegian parents the only really cringey sketch (they tend to come undone when they move away from sport).  Glad to see Frank McAvennie finally being ditched too.

3 hours ago, dan cake said:

Get her a Netflix subscription for her birthday then.  Sorted.  :)

Edited by scotlad