Last orders at the Iron Horse - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Last orders at the Iron Horse

Catchart Circle

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2020 at 11:26 AM, scotlad said:

It's the last time I can remember the national team really capturing the general public's imagination.  I can remember people in work the day before sat around with Scotland shirts on!  Changed days now though.  :(

Aye my work, a big office of a large multinational actively encouraged you to wear Scotland colours on the Friday!

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2020 at 11:49 AM, ParisInAKilt said:

The week leading up to that game was tremendous. Worked in a call centre at the time and there was a group of us going to the game. Went to a gig at Oran Mor the Friday night after work and there was a few of us with the Scotland tops on. In the crystal palace 8am for the game, definitely the drunkest I’ve seen Hampson that I can remember, ended up in the Garage afterwards after a drink in a few pubs on the way but can’t remember seeing much bother luckily. 

Real shame about the Iron Horse, last time would have been watching the Iceland away game in 2009. 

I was in the Horsehoe on the Friday night and the place was bouncing.

Sky Camera's in etc and genuinely never seen the city like it.

A big what if moment.

5 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Aye my work, a big office of a large multinational actively encouraged you to wear Scotland colours on the Friday!

Aye I worked in Tesco and even those miserable bastards let us all wear our scotland tops, some management even joined in.

Post Italy 2007 Glasgow was like the worst New Years x10.  Anyone who had been at the game were the soberest people in town.  Everyone else had been drinking for 7+ hours.  

Saw a fight in Bath St, a fight in Mosquito bar, A fight in Firewater and fight(s) in Sauchiehall Street. A fittingly dreadful end to the day.

The week building up to it was tops and I genuinely thought we were going to win. Hampden full 40 mins before kick off. One of my favourite games bizarrely.

Always Used to Visit The Horse each time I come up from Cardiff for a Match. Always had a great time in there. 'Cos of illness I haven't managed the last 2 Years, but am back up and running, so will be up in March for Israel game, Need to find a pub then with similar atmosphere.   Any suggestions??

52 minutes ago, bluebird27 said:

Always Used to Visit The Horse each time I come up from Cardiff for a Match. Always had a great time in there. 'Cos of illness I haven't managed the last 2 Years, but am back up and running, so will be up in March for Israel game, Need to find a pub then with similar atmosphere.   Any suggestions??

There's a pre match party at the Shed if that's any help. About 20 mins walk from the ground

On 1/20/2020 at 9:24 PM, Alan said:

Post Italy 2007 Glasgow was like the worst New Years x10.  Anyone who had been at the game were the soberest people in town.  Everyone else had been drinking for 7+ hours.  

Saw a fight in Bath St, a fight in Mosquito bar, A fight in Firewater and fight(s) in Sauchiehall Street. A fittingly dreadful end to the day.

The week building up to it was tops and I genuinely thought we were going to win. Hampden full 40 mins before kick off. One of my favourite games bizarrely.

Ironically the two were related. Just like the plays offs in 1999 the build up was way over the top - not quite on the level of pre Argentina but heading there.

I recall being in a night club on the Thursday - two days ahead of the game - and witnessing a group of women there  in clearly newly bought Scotland shirts singing a repeated chorus of `We're gonnae beat Italy...'

At the risk of sounding sexist I have no idea as to these ladies knowledge of football but this illustrates how the media getting carried away can raise the expectations of the general public.

I was solely tempted to tell them that the Italians were actually quite good and that we had just lost to Georgia a few weeks earlier - the result which did our hopes more damage than anything that went on at Hampden.

There was a feeling among some that Scotland were sure to win and the disapointment of the defeat along with the mix of vast quantities of alcohol manifested itself in the undereported post match trouble.

Edited by Catchart Circle
spelling error

On 1/20/2020 at 9:24 PM, Alan said:

I must have been the exception to that rule.  I was at the game and I was leathered.  It was the first time I'd vomited (through illness or drink!) in over 10 years and I've been vomit free since!!  I also spilled a pint over Michelle McManus in Jam in Shawlands before the game (although I'm part blaming her for that for shrinking my turning circle....)

22 hours ago, Catchart Circle said:

Ironically the two were related. Just like the plays offs in 1999 the build up was way over the top - not quite on the level of pre Argentina but heading there.

I recall being in a night club on the Thursday - two days ahead of the game - and witnessing a group of women there  in clearly newly bought Scotland shirts singing a repeated chorus of `We're gonnae beat Italy...'

At the risk of sounding sexist I have no idea as to these ladies knowledge of football but this illustrates how the media getting carried away can raise the expectations of the general public.

I was solely tempted to tell them that the Italians were actually quite good and that we had just lost to Georgia a few weeks earlier - the result which did our hopes more damage than anything that went on at Hampden.

There was a feeling among some that Scotland were sure to win and the disapointment of the defeat along with the mix of vast quantities of alcohol manifested itself in the undereported post match trouble.

The night before the game by complete coincidence, the Proclaimers were playing at the Academy in the Gorbals.   I went along with a load of folk from WESTA and they'd got the WESTA flag in, no doubt due to a certain up and coming DJ being on the laptop that night.   Between the support band and the Proclaimers coming on, they got the flag over the balcony and the place went absolutely mental, whole crowd singing Scotland songs, then the bouncers turned up and told them to take it down, usual fire safety bollocks.

As you say, probably misplaced, but there was just this real sense that we would do them.   I remember the back page of the Record on the Saturday where the headline was "Fadiator" and they had a mock up of James McFadden as a gladiator.  Brilliant stuff.

I am not sure the frenzy was misplaced. When we were drawn in that group with Italy and France who were the current World cup holder and finalist, plus Ukraine who had got to the WC quarter finals, we were not given a chance in hell. Understandably. 

It was nothing short of a miracle what we achieved and confidence was sky high based on results. Sure,  there was the usual slip up like Georgia, but there was a sense of  self belief that we have never seen since.