Old Firm Game - Page 18 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

5 minutes ago, Morrisandmoo said:

Indeed.

'What about' the real sectarian problem rooted in rangers football club is a question more rangers fans should be asking themselves, instead of fascinating over a fake one that their masters have made up. 

Not quite as good an example as your first effort, your standards are slipping.  Need to do better.  

Edited by aaid

10 minutes ago, Redz said:

You could answer his (Not quite as Good an example) question though?

I already have done elsewhere but if the response to anything relating to any club is "whatabout Rangers?, then no-ones going to get anywhere. 

On 12/30/2019 at 11:37 PM, Farcity said:

Ooooh clever adaptation eh. That hasn't half put me back in my (bigger than your) box.

I think I spotted you in Canada once. You were riding around on a horse with a red jacket on like a few others, except you had ripped the sleeves off it coz you are pure mad mental Big Ramy Fae Glesga eh. Next thing you will be chuntering away in that nasal whine thinking you are pure gallus no. Noo gonnae pass me that Buckie n that big man byraway. 

Hey you ya fud - don't think all us Glaswegian's sound like that :lol:

Christie ban a bizarre decision.

Absolutely no consistency, which is where the frustration comes in.

It feels like because it was a high profile game with a few incidents they just picked one. 🤷‍♂️ Don’t think there was any real call from anywhere for any retrospective action. Rangers getting their statements out first maybe made SFA feel obliged to apply their own version VAR.

The obvious comparison with the reverse incident last season (Morelos on Christie) just adds to this feeling of inconsistency.

Christie is a dirty cheating bastard anyway mind you...

48 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Christie ban a bizarre decision.

Absolutely no consistency, which is where the frustration comes in.

It feels like because it was a high profile game with a few incidents they just picked one. 🤷‍♂️ Don’t think there was any real call from anywhere for any retrospective action. Rangers getting their statements out first maybe made SFA feel obliged to apply their own version VAR.

The obvious comparison with the reverse incident last season (Morelos on Christie) just adds to this feeling of inconsistency.

Christie is a dirty cheating bastard anyway mind you...

Totally the correct decision.  I believe the rules changed towards this kind of stuff this year?  Maybe Cove can confirm.  But I agree with you on consistency, its happening / not happening all over the league almost on a weekly basis now.  I think that is all everyone wants.  Our refs are just not good enough for such a physical and competitive (in game competitive) league.

17 minutes ago, Emoji said:

Totally the correct decision.  I believe the rules changed towards this kind of stuff this year?  Maybe Cove can confirm.  But I agree with you on consistency, its happening / not happening all over the league almost on a weekly basis now.  I think that is all everyone wants.  Our refs are just not good enough for such a physical and competitive (in game competitive) league.

I’m sure Steven McLean of Hearts got a ban for it in the league cup semi last year. Which would have been before the Morelos one on Christie.

Flicked someone in the groin with his hand at a corner IIRC.

Thats not really the point though.

We are all in agreement, the complete lack of consistency of decisions is the problem. Particularly the fairly haphazard approach to retrospective punishment. I can see how on the park decision by different referees can vary, but how can a person sat in an office watching back games cite things one week, then ignore for 6 weeks....

3 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

I’m sure Steven McLean of Hearts got a ban for it in the league cup semi last year. Which would have been before the Morelos one on Christie.

We are all in agreement, the complete lack of consistency of decisions is the problem. Particularly the fairly haphazard approach to retrospective punishment. I can see how on the park decision by different referees can vary, but how can a person sat in an office watching back games cite things one week, then ignore for 6 weeks....

Exactly right.  And it is really not that difficult is it when you are watching replays as many times as you want and comparing it to previous decisions you have made for the same or very similar incidents.  I don't get it.  Refs will vary as you say, but they are having some howlers at the moment, and have been for some time.  I also think it allows the players to try their luck and have a good chance of getting away with it.  If we had consistency they would think twice.  Morelos is a good example.  I love him, in the main, he frustrates me sometimes, but his diving is a pain in the arse, especially when he doesn't need to, but if he keeps getting punished he will stop.

1 hour ago, Emoji said:

Exactly right.  And it is really not that difficult is it when you are watching replays as many times as you want and comparing it to previous decisions you have made for the same or very similar incidents.  I don't get it.  Refs will vary as you say, but they are having some howlers at the moment, and have been for some time.  I also think it allows the players to try their luck and have a good chance of getting away with it.  If we had consistency they would think twice.  Morelos is a good example.  I love him, in the main, he frustrates me sometimes, but his diving is a pain in the arse, especially when he doesn't need to, but if he keeps getting punished he will stop.

Agree agree with most of that apart for the Morelos learning bit, he won’t learn until the rangers publicity machine stops putting out excuses for every stupid thing he does. With his natural ability it must really piss you off when he does the things he does.

20 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

It looks to me as if Christie makes deliberate movement towards Morelos's meat and two veg and isn't accidental contact as has been suggested.  I appreciate that's subjective and a lot more difficult to weigh up than if it's an off the ball, but on the balls, incident 

There are inconsistencies though and I think the SFA react to any incident that gets picked by the media and then gets attention.  I don't think they spend the weekend trawling through the tapes looking for offences but rather react to incidents brought to their attention by whatever means.

There definitely is a double standard being applied though but probably not in a way that is obvious.   Any incidents in a game that's going to be live on TV has a bigger chance of having incidents that are referred for two reasons, more people will watch it and the TV coverage will focus on any incident the referee has missed or got wrong - that's natural.   There's a difference between a live game and one that's recorded for highlights.  For highlights they're likely to only pick up on - or highlight any real howlers, they also use a lot less cameras for highlights, which means less angles and less chance of picking things up.   I think for old firm games, Sky use more cameras than they do for other live games.

Incidents like this are actually ones where VAR is really helpful as they get dealt with at the time, in the game, and action's taken there and then.  It might stop players thinking they can get away with the sly wee digs.    I saw Callum McGregor on Reporting Scotland last night talking about VAR and mentioning "wee things that go on in the game and getting pulled up for them".  I don't think McGregor's a particularly dirty or sneaky player but I could tell what he meant.

Of course you'd get the half wits arguing about whether or not it should be a sending off or not, but that's usually code for "I know what the law says but it's my player so it shouldn't be a red card"

Still, whatabout Rangers though.   

12 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

If we’d turned up in the second half v Accies Robinson would’ve won it.

If ma maw had baws then Ryan Christie would try and grab them. 

Edited by aaid

22 hours ago, RDFH64 said:

Agree agree with most of that apart for the Morelos learning bit, he won’t learn until the rangers publicity machine stops putting out excuses for every stupid thing he does. With his natural ability it must really piss you off when he does the things he does.

It does a bit.  Its more his passing that pisses me off, almost every game.  Can't knock him, does the business for us and doesn't hurt anyone in the process.  I disagree he won't learn though.  He is far from perfect but has come on leaps and bounds from previously.  That goes for all divers and cheats, and it is not just Morelos, there are many in the game and many in our game.  If refs / post game panels are consistent and bide by the rules, the players will have to stop doing it.  But at the moment it happens in nearly every game in football.