Matched Betting - Anyone Tried It? - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Matched Betting - Anyone Tried It?

I made an easy 500 quid via bookie signup offers but I'm not sure where you can go with it after that. I see plenty "bet £20 and get a free £5 bet" type offers all the time. Trouble is, if you match your £20 bet as best you can, you'll only make 3 or 4 quid maximum from the freebie. Hardly seems worth the effort!

I suppose I could just go back to the standard coupons but then you always get a Chelsea v Southampton certainty for a HT/FT that completely f*cks you up!  :lol:   Even backing Chelsea for the win at the bookie and covering your stake by backing the draw on Betfair would've wiped out weeks of carefully gathered profits from backing surefire winners.  :( 

Maybe it's just a mug's game?

36 minutes ago, daviebee said:

I made an easy 500 quid via bookie signup offers but I'm not sure where you can go with it after that. I see plenty "bet £20 and get a free £5 bet" type offers all the time. Trouble is, if you match your £20 bet as best you can, you'll only make 3 or 4 quid maximum from the freebie. Hardly seems worth the effort!

I suppose I could just go back to the standard coupons but then you always get a Chelsea v Southampton certainty for a HT/FT that completely f*cks you up!  :lol:   Even backing Chelsea for the win at the bookie and covering your stake by backing the draw on Betfair would've wiped out weeks of carefully gathered profits from backing surefire winners.  :( 

Maybe it's just a mug's game?

Bet 365 used to have a good offer for big games, place a bet of £50 (it varied) before ko and you got a free £50 bet in play too. 

I used to go for btts 1st half (yes) which carried odds of between 3/1 to 7/1 and free bet on (no) which was normally about 10/11. It came in a good few times and I got a few thousand off of it, but they cut me down to £25, £10 then £5, so it wasn’t really worth it anymore. 

I stopped gambling nearly a year ago after realising I wouldn’t really win and may lose my wife and kids, haven’t looked back since and never even placed a £1 on the grand national for the kids like I used to. 

Never felt better. 

Used to do it years ago, the offers available now seem minuscule compared to what you used to get. Laddies, Hills, Corals were all £100 bonus for new accounts.

Like DD said, the Bet365 offers were great but then they stopped me getting any bonus offers from them due to me rinsing that offer so often.

Now I maybe do £5/10 on a coupon at the weekend. That’s it. To be even remotely successful you have to have multiple accounts, a good idea of calculating your own prices and lots of time on your hands. Too much time involved in all that for me to take it seriously enough. 

As covered, You’d need to devote a lot of time and effort to making serious money off it. The odd “too good to be true” offer comes up, but few and far between. Generally there is too much small print and staking requirements to make it worthwhile and you’ll exhaust all the best ones pretty quickly.

I got £800 twice in 5 days off the £50 bet 365 offer. Got another few decent wins off it, but they cut me to £5 and not worthwhile now. (Up to £10 for arsenal v Chelsea tomorrow)

Got a Las Vegas holiday off an 888 blackjack offer about 13 years ago. You could deposit your money, take the bonus, lift your own money (without staking a penny) then turn over your deposit and anything left was yours. Made over £1200 from that and a few £100 for family and friends.

Skybet were doing a lot of “no lose” offers about 2 years ago, had a great run with them. (Think they did no lose on 1st race everyday at Cheltenham, so effectively a free hit).

I just jump about bookies, depending on what they’re offering at the time.

Dandydunn probably has a good point, I probably waste too much time putting bets on and watching them. Now the bookies all give you your P&L I can see I’m not losing, but not really winning much either. Could probably make more if I devoted the time to something more constructive. 😂

Do most of the bets in a kitty with my mate and means we keep in touch, and probably keep each other in check with the daft bets which is probably a good thing.

I quite liked the idea of the matched betting cos you can't really lose.  However, not worth it to pick up a couple of quid here and there and I don't fancy putting bets on where I could lose my cash.  :lol:

Anyone remember the guy on here a few years back who said he was going to make a lot of money backing surefire certainties? A lot of folk (including me) had a go at his system. The idea was to just lump on a guaranteed winner (e.g. Celtic at home to ... well, anyone really), keep your discipline and keep compounding.

I was doing pretty well, took my initial bank out and was playing with the bookies' money.  Then I had the daft idea that if it worked with fitba where there were only 2 teams it'd work even better with horses where there were maybe 9+ in a race.  So I went over to Betfair, found a race that included a nag that'd spent the morning ferrying tourists round Blackpool beach and, well - you sort of know where this is going.  :lol: 

I chucked my whole bank in as my liability and listened to the race in the background while working.  Pretty soon it dawned on me that mine was the only fkin horse the commentator was mentioning.  I think every other one fell in one big heap at a hurdle and my two-ton of dug meat came strolling past them and fkin cleaned me out.  :( 

10 hours ago, daviebee said:

I quite liked the idea of the matched betting cos you can't really lose.  However, not worth it to pick up a couple of quid here and there and I don't fancy putting bets on where I could lose my cash.  :lol:

Anyone remember the guy on here a few years back who said he was going to make a lot of money backing surefire certainties? A lot of folk (including me) had a go at his system. The idea was to just lump on a guaranteed winner (e.g. Celtic at home to ... well, anyone really), keep your discipline and keep compounding.

I was doing pretty well, took my initial bank out and was playing with the bookies' money.  Then I had the daft idea that if it worked with fitba where there were only 2 teams it'd work even better with horses where there were maybe 9+ in a race.  So I went over to Betfair, found a race that included a nag that'd spent the morning ferrying tourists round Blackpool beach and, well - you sort of know where this is going.  :lol: 

I chucked my whole bank in as my liability and listened to the race in the background while working.  Pretty soon it dawned on me that mine was the only fkin horse the commentator was mentioning.  I think every other one fell in one big heap at a hurdle and my two-ton of dug meat came strolling past them and fkin cleaned me out.  :( 

I can remember that thread regarding using small odds, guaranteed wins to patiently make a decent amount. Think it was called £10 to £1000 or something. I tried it a couple of times but really didn't have the discipline for it. Anyway you'd back something at 1.09 or similar and it would end up losing and the bankroll would be wiped out. 

21 minutes ago, morrie21 said:

I can remember that thread regarding using small odds, guaranteed wins to patiently make a decent amount. Think it was called £10 to £1000 or something. I tried it a couple of times but really didn't have the discipline for it. Anyway you'd back something at 1.09 or similar and it would end up losing and the bankroll would be wiped out. 

Always a risk when there are only 3 possible outcomes no matter how "certain" one of them is to transpire.  That's why I thought I was safe going to Betfair and backing something to lose when there were over 9 possible outcomes and the one I didn't want couldn't possibly happen!  I think every time I've ever gambled I've ended up going straight back to zero after getting so far.  :(

With the system on here back then it would've been pretty hard to stick 8 or 900 quid on the outcome of a match knowing you could be back to square one 90 minutes later.

52 minutes ago, morrie21 said:

I had limited success with this. Would regularly get 5-6 wins on the bounce then lose discipline and be a bit more adventurous and lose. But I was splitting my pot regularly too so made a few quid. It's not very exciting though...

11 minutes ago, Stu101 said:

Read the forum on Moneysavingexpert on it.

Covers everything you could ask, plus lots of people have written their own spreadsheets etc to aid.

Good luck. Easy money, but the offers do run out.

That's the problem. Once you're past the signup offers there's a lot of gittering about for 3 or 4 quid.  You also need a lot of cash tied up in Betfair to do the covering initially.

You get software that shows you "arbitrage" opportunities where you can supposedly make a guaranteed profit on a particular bet.  I've seen these as high as 125% but the bookies aren't daft - as soon as money goes lumping on one outcome they automatically lower the odds so unless you're in there fast you can end up with a large stake that you can't match at the betting exchanges.

40 minutes ago, killiefaetheferry said:

They got beat 😂

Brings back memories. I think the time I got the bankroll up to low three figures I went to be smart and placed a live bet with the whole lot on a darts match at 1.05 or something. Virtually as soon as I put the bet on the other player started playing lights out and defeated the man my hopes were resting on. It was at that moment I thought "fuck this"