Synthetic alcohol - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Synthetic alcohol

What I need is something where I can drive to my local (meaning I don't have to climb up that bloody steep hill), down a cocktail of Old Eli, Leadboiler & wash it down with an Enoch's Hammer, not die, then wait 5 minutes & be sober enough to drive home.

Is that what this does? If so, I'm in.

9 minutes ago, Huddersfield said:

What I need is something where I can drive to my local (meaning I don't have to climb up that bloody steep hill), down a cocktail of Old Eli, Leadboiler & wash it down with an Enoch's Hammer, not die, then wait 5 minutes & be sober enough to drive home.

Is that what this does? If so, I'm in.

Aye, tastes like shit though.

4 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Aye, tastes like shit though.

I actually agree with Bonny on this . I doubt anyone would choose to drink alcohol if it didnt make you feel relaxed/drunk.  

However I doubt this will ever make it to market. Many people are put off alcohol because of the hangovers. Can you imagine the chaos that could be caused to society if everyone was getting steaming every night of the week knowing they could wake up fresh as a daisy next morning.

I would not be surprised if there was something already out there which was deliberately being withheld for that reason. 

23 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

If it worked it would be the perfect invention but I am pretty sure the alcohol industry would ensure it never saw the light of day. 

Maybe, but then the tobacco industry wasn't able to stop the rise of vaping/e-cigs.

11 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

That is a good point . Although cigarettes dont send people off their face the way alcohol does. 

This synthetic alcohol has a maximum dosage so its not possible to get off your face with it.   Drinking more just keeps you at the peak. 

It will make it to market and will be there alongside real alcohol, just like vapes and real fags. 

24 minutes ago, Bonny79 said:

This synthetic alcohol has a maximum dosage so its not possible to get off your face with it.   Drinking more just keeps you at the peak. 

It will make it to market and will be there alongside real alcohol, just like vapes and real fags. 

How do you know all these facts? I  cant see anything it that link about working with alcohol industry, how it keeps you at a peak etc.  

Are you Professor Nutt ? 

Edited by TDYER63

4 hours ago, Bonny79 said:

It’s amazing how Ro.... sorry, Bonny can be sensible when he forgets that he’s here to troll. 

4 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

How do you know all these facts? I  cant see anything it that link about working with alcohol industry, how it keeps you at a peak etc.  

Are you Professor Nutt ? 

I've read loads about it cause I think it's a good idea.   🤗.  

He claims it's impossible to fight the drinks industry but he hopes they will embrace his product as more and more ppl are shunning drinks in favour of healthier options.   One of the reasons why non alcoholic beer sales has rocketed plus all those vegans 😂

4 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Are you Professor Nutt ? 

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2019/mar/26/an-innocent-drink-could-alcosynth-provide-all-the-joy-of-booze-without-the-dangers

Ultimately, the aim isn’t for Alcarelle to become a drinks company, but to supply companies in the drinks industry with the active ingredient, so that they can make and market their own products. You would expect that the alcohol industry would view Alcarelle as its nemesis, but Orren says that industry players “are approaching us as potential investing collaborators”. This doesn’t surprise Jonny Forsyth, a global drinks analyst at Mintel. “The industry is increasingly investing in alcohol alternatives,” he says. “We have seen a lot of investment in cannabis … They’re looking at nonalcoholic gins and soft drinks because they know people are drinking less [alcohol], and this is a trend that is going to carry on. If the science is right, and if it’s easy to mask the taste, I think it’s got a great chance.”

Edited by Bonny79

1 hour ago, Bonny79 said:

I've read loads about it cause I think it's a good idea.   🤗.  

He claims it's impossible to fight the drinks industry but he hopes they will embrace his product as more and more ppl are shunning drinks in favour of healthier options.   One of the reasons why non alcoholic beer sales has rocketed plus all those vegans 😂

I think its a good idea too thats why I am showing an interest and asking questions. 

I retire in 4 years. If my own inventions take off I could be necking back Alcarelle every night, playing running golf every morning hangover free, and languishing on my tummy on a sun bed all afternoon reading about my huge profits through the hole at my head.  

44 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I think its a good idea too thats why I am showing an interest and asking questions. 

I retire in 4 years. If my own inventions take off I could be necking back Alcarelle every night, playing running golf every morning hangover free, and languishing on my tummy on a sun bed all afternoon reading about my huge profits through the hole at my head.  

As opposed to talking oot the hole of your erse?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Update today

So much news!

Alcarelle is rebranding as GABA Labs. This reflects the focus of our work (ie GABA and GABAergics), our scientific credentials and our ambitions to get GABA into mainstream discussion. Check out www.gabalabs.com. 

GABA Labs is launching a drinks company - The Social Drinks Company. And they're bringing out a new botanical drink called Sentia (www.sentiaspirits.com) later in January, based on a GABA Labs active botanical ingredient.

Last bit of news is that Professor David Nutt is appearing on UK Channel4's flagship consumer food program "Food Unwrapped" at 8pm UK time on Monday, 11th Jan. He'll be talking about our botanical research work and the ingredients licensed for the Sentia drink.

FYI, GABA Labs' primary focus will be the ingredient "Alcarelle", which obviously is a few year away because of the regulatory frameworks.

Our new FB page is www.facebook.com/gabalabs.science. 

Thanks for your patience :¬)