Clubs Who Share Interests - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Clubs Who Share Interests

Makes commercial sense to have a tie in with a club with an orange tap.  Worked well when we did it with Shanghai Shenhua.

I'm sure the long term plan was to get Harry Forrester in the door there to kick start negotiations.  

Motherwell fans have a tie up with NEC Nijmegen.

They had some ultras over a few weeks ago, but there was some dispute with MFC about a flag/banner and they didn’t go into the ground.

(I believe they’d had the banner ok’d but then on the day were told it was too big)

15 minutes ago, Jim Beem said:

The half and half scarf is basically this decades AIDS.

I’ve worked with a lot of older Dundonian guys over the years and they used to tell me that a lot of people from their generation would support whichever Dundee team was playing at home that weekend. 

4 hours ago, WCTA said:

I’ve worked with a lot of older Dundonian guys over the years and they used to tell me that a lot of people from their generation would support whichever Dundee team was playing at home that weekend. 

I worked with a few old Manchester people that have told me the same. City one week, United the next regardless of who they supported. 

4 hours ago, WCTA said:

That’s an old Edinburgh thing too. Hearts one week, Hibs the next. 

There was also a thing going back 30/35 years where half and half bobble hats were popular. This was years and years before half and half scarves were even a thing. Celtic/Liverpool, Aberdeen/Man United, Rangers/Everton etc. 

On 12/23/2019 at 1:13 PM, Orraloon said:

The only connection that I can remember is Raymond Stewart. At the time his transfer was a record of some kind. It has sometimes been said that that transfer pretty much financed everything that JIm McLean achieved at Tannadice afterwards.

The Ray Stewart money paid for the roof on the north terrace. We played them a few times soon after the transfer. We played them at Tannadice preseason that season but this game in London was arranged at short noticed after both clubs were knocked out of their respective cups. The friendlies stopped the next season after their fans caused a lot of bother - smashed up a pub and racially abused one of their own players.

This  was the time of those square half and half hats and United/West Ham ones were popular. There also used to be a fanzine (United/Utd?) but i don't think it lasted very long. I think the whole thing was only due to us playing them around that time and don't think it lasted much after.

T

On 12/24/2019 at 6:53 PM, McTeeko said:

That’s an old Edinburgh thing too. Hearts one week, Hibs the next. 

Probably had a lot to do with the infrastructure and economy in Scotland at the time, i doubt away trips were a viable option for the working classes at the time. Also the old firm hadn’t ruined Scottish football yet 

10 hours ago, dan cake said:

Probably had a lot to do with the infrastructure and economy in Scotland at the time, i doubt away trips were a viable option for the working classes at the time. Also the old firm hadn’t ruined Scottish football yet 

Not for the majority of working class fans but "brake clubs" had existed since the 1890s which some fans used to travel to games across the country with.

20 hours ago, Ta Ta said:

The Ray Stewart money paid for the roof on the north terrace. We played them a few times soon after the transfer. We played them at Tannadice preseason that season but this game in London was arranged at short noticed after both clubs were knocked out of their respective cups. The friendlies stopped the next season after their fans caused a lot of bother - smashed up a pub and racially abused one of their own players.

This  was the time of those square half and half hats and United/West Ham ones were popular. There also used to be a fanzine (United/Utd?) but i don't think it lasted very long. I think the whole thing was only due to us playing them around that time and don't think it lasted much after.

T

👍 I remember a 3v3 draw in 81 or maybe 82. I was still not pub age but remember there was loads of bother in the town that weekend. Im sure Ray Stewart was the most expensive transfer fee for a teenager or something like that

15 hours ago, dan cake said:

I’d agree with that. My Old man would watch United and Dundee at home, an away game was never even on the agenda back then. 

8 hours ago, Jim Beem said:

👍 I remember a 3v3 draw in 81 or maybe 82. I was still not pub age but remember there was loads of bother in the town that weekend. Im sure Ray Stewart was the most expensive transfer fee for a teenager or something like that

Thanks to both you & @Ta Ta for the background - it's one of those odd things I'd been meaning to ask about on here for a while. Do either of you know the score of the game at Upton Park? My (very dodgy) memory tells me it was 2-2 but I could be wrong. 

On 12/26/2019 at 2:44 AM, Ta Ta said:

The Ray Stewart money paid for the roof on the north terrace.

T

That sounds very Huddersfield Town 😂. The £55K we got from Man City for Denis Law went on a set of floodlights (forever to be known as the Denis Law Lights) instead of a replacement. Obviously money well spent as they blew down in a storm a year or so later.

On 21 December 2019 at 7:10 AM, EddardStark said:

Rangers used to have very strong links with Arsenal.

Rangers used to own Arsenal, well they had a share that Arsenal gifted to them until that arsehole Craig Whyte flogged it.  I'm surprised he didn't try and pawn the racer from St Etienne as wel