Good Books You've Read This Year - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Good Books You've Read This Year

Yeah, Billy Connolly’s best period was the early days and his brilliantly observed working class humour,  I suppose there are only so many jokes he can spin from that. He is still a fantastic comedian though. 
Really enjoyed the Made In Scotland tv show a couple of years ago. 

22 hours ago, Bristol Killie said:

Currently reading and enjoying The Young Team by Graeme Armstrong about a young team set in Airdrie. 

Had a look at that, what a great achievement for the author , would buy the book on the strength of that alone.  For anyone interested

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.glasgowlive.co.uk/news/glasgow-news/graeme-armstrong-young-team-leaving-20624978.amp

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/29/2019 at 7:08 PM, ErsatzThistle said:

Alasdair Gray 1934-2019

If you have never before read "Lanark: A Life In Four Books" then do so next year. A wonderful novel.  

I was a bit late on picking up this thread but I did what you said last week and haven't regretted it. Thank you.

13 minutes ago, chaff said:

I'm currently listening to a brief history of everything by Bill Bryson. fascinating stuff that has me worried that yellowstone is going to blow up and we're all fucked.

I've got that sitting somewhere got it for a present last year, will need to dig it out.

4I'd also forgotten about Yellowstone till someone mentioned it a couple of weeks ago. They were pointing out there are bigger ones than Yellowstone, and I was like well that's fucking great. Even worse the events surrounding one of them is called the toba catastrophe a comforting name.

1 minute ago, phart said:

I've got that sitting somewhere got it for a present last year, will need to dig it out.

4I'd also forgotten about Yellowstone till someone mentioned it a couple of weeks ago. They were pointing out there are bigger ones than Yellowstone, and I was like well that's fucking great. Even worse the events surrounding one of them is called the toba catastrophe a comforting name.

they reckon it has erupted every 600 thousand years, the last one being 630 thousand years ago, its overdue.

The book is excellent, i had no idea that the theory of tectonic plates was only ever agreed on by the scientific community in the 1960s.

10 minutes ago, chaff said:

they reckon it has erupted every 600 thousand years, the last one being 630 thousand years ago, its overdue.

The book is excellent, i had no idea that the theory of tectonic plates was only ever agreed on by the scientific community in the 1960s.

I had forgotten it was overdue. I remember reading it was 2800 times more ejecta than mount st helena eruption.

It's wild when you think about it

They almost had it in 1936 but then the war broke out and every scientist got re-directed to war effort. By time it was finished careers had moved on then a separate group of scientists started working on plate tectonics and brought in one of the old dudes and it got formalised. Alfred Wegner had been going on about it since 1912.

Like the universe expanding at an increasing rate was only discovered in the late 90's. That always blows my mind cause it seems like i've always believed that.

How do you find listening to books? I'm a big podcast fan but haven't got into audio-books yet.

2 minutes ago, phart said:

I had forgotten it was overdue. I remember reading it was 2800 times more ejecta than mount st helena eruption.

It's wild when you think about it

They almost had it in 1936 but then the war broke out and every scientist got re-directed to war effort. By time it was finished careers had moved on then a separate group of scientists started working on plate tectonics and brought in one of the old dudes and it got formalised. Alfred Wegner had been going on about it since 1912.

Like the universe expanding at an increasing rate was only discovered in the late 90's. That always blows my mind cause it seems like i've always believed that.

How do you find listening to books? I'm a big podcast fan but haven't got into audio-books yet.

Alfred wegner, that's the guy, they belittled his theories and he died before it became the standard belief.

I love audiobooks, only started this year. I spend a lot of time cutting grass, hedges, tidying up gardens it's a perfect way to spend my time when working, headphones in and ear defenders on top.

I listened to the radio for years, then discovered podcasts about 3 years ago.

Was looking through BBC sounds for stuff to listen to and found the 39 steps. Then kidnapped and it's went from there. I've listened to more books this year than I've read in the past 2.

6 minutes ago, chaff said:

Alfred wegner, that's the guy, they belittled his theories and he died before it became the standard belief.

I love audiobooks, only started this year. I spend a lot of time cutting grass, hedges, tidying up gardens it's a perfect way to spend my time when working, headphones in and ear defenders on top.

I listened to the radio for years, then discovered podcasts about 3 years ago.

Was looking through BBC sounds for stuff to listen to and found the 39 steps. Then kidnapped and it's went from there. I've listened to more books this year than I've read in the past 2.

I started strolling a couple of years back to lose weight. I walk that much that I've went through the back catalogue of almost every interesting podcast I can find in the last 2 years. I've started listening to podcasts about basketball and shit I don't even watch just to have stuff!

I'm worried if i get started on books going to cost me a fortune. In saying that a good book might take hours to get through.

1 hour ago, phart said:

I started strolling a couple of years back to lose weight. I walk that much that I've went through the back catalogue of almost every interesting podcast I can find in the last 2 years. I've started listening to podcasts about basketball and shit I don't even watch just to have stuff!

I'm worried if i get started on books going to cost me a fortune. In saying that a good book might take hours to get through.

I signed up to audible, £8 a month. Money well spent, there's a lot of free content on it too, the bill Bryson stuff was free.

I was the same with podcasts

I am getting a couple of books suggested on here for Christmas but meanwhile picked up Child 44 from a charity shop. Only about 1/4 of a way through it but really enjoying it. Like Shuggie Bain its a bit hard to read at times. Its an older book, its not a new release,  think its part of a Trilogy. Its about an MGB agent in the Soviet Union in the 1950’s. 

I went and had a look I have a few unread books on a windowsill, I got as gifts.

A tale of duelling neurosurgeons.

Infinite monkey cage

Blood meridian

Human universe.

Bill Bryson is on the front of the Duelling neurosurgeons one which made me pick them up to look.

I just re-read the entire malazan book of the fallen a 10 book fantasy series. If anyone into that sort of thing. I'm thinking of re-reading the entire Wheel of time series as well since i'm watching that now, but it might ruin it. I read the two towers before going to see it and it lessened my enjoyment.

On 12/11/2021 at 11:39 AM, TDYER63 said:

I am getting a couple of books suggested on here for Christmas but meanwhile picked up Child 44 from a charity shop. Only about 1/4 of a way through it but really enjoying it. Like Shuggie Bain its a bit hard to read at times. Its an older book, its not a new release,  think its part of a Trilogy. Its about an MGB agent in the Soviet Union in the 1950’s. 

fantastic book and youre right it is part of a trilogy. I think the first one is the best though, its description of soviet times is excellent

10 hours ago, chaff said:

fantastic book and youre right it is part of a trilogy. I think the first one is the best though, its description of soviet times is excellent

The first 2 or 3 chapters are quite harrowing, but it is really good. I like the way the conversations are in italics, think it focuses your mind more. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/29/2019 at 7:08 PM, ErsatzThistle said:

Alasdair Gray 1934-2019

If you have never before read "Lanark: A Life In Four Books" then do so next year. A wonderful novel.  

Thank you for this. I bought it for my wife to read in quiet times at the hospice. 

She's really enjoying it and able to read it probably as it should be read, small sections at a time. 

20 hours ago, slasher said:

Just in case some cunt on here hasn't read it. Purely informational.  🤣

Based entirely on the recommendation on a football forum of someone with no vested interest whatsoever, I read it a while ago & thought it was a really good read.

On 1/2/2022 at 9:05 PM, Huddersfield said:

Based entirely on the recommendation on a football forum of someone with no vested interest whatsoever, I read it a while ago & thought it was a really good read.

Cheers, appreciated. 👍