Singing Section - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Singing Section

WCTA

Its a fabricated atmosphere.

It's like when you get the resident DJ starting songs over the PA system of the scoreboard doing likewise .

I have witnessed this over the years - a step in the direction of the US culture to be found at sporting events there and a bit sad really when you look back on what Hampden used to be like.

Those of us who remember the big games in the 70s through to the 1990s remember a time when the crowd generated its own atmosphere without any prompting.

A natural reaction to what they were watching.

49 minutes ago, Catchart Circle said:

It's like when you get the resident DJ starting songs over the PA system of the scoreboard doing likewise .

I have witnessed this over the years - a step in the direction of the US culture to be found at sporting events there and a bit sad really when you look back on what Hampden used to be like.

Those of us who remember the big games in the 70s through to the 1990s remember a time when the crowd generated its own atmosphere without any prompting.

Yeah, but now we don't have the natural reaction due to the fact that we're fairly crap and the attendances are lowering. It's literally nothing like your example. What you're talking about is a team like Man City/Spurs playing background songs during the game to make it sound atmospheric.

I fail to see how grouping a bunch of people together who want to sing is fabricated. Why keep them bunched together in smaller groups and dilute any potential of an atmosphere?

1 hour ago, Catchart Circle said:

It’s not fabricated.

Some people want to sing. They feel better off being in a section of the ground where those around about them have the same train of thought.....and will more than likely join in if someone starts off a song.

Hampden, at the current time, is nothing like the Hampden of the 70s-90s. It’s dire nowadays. But even then....someone must have started the songs. There wasn’t a collective ESP within the crowd where they all fired up We Hate Jimmy Hill at the exact same moment. 

All that’s happening here is people who do feel they want to try and start a song here and there know they won’t be a lone voice and the song dies on its arse after 2 lines. 

On 12/17/2019 at 3:31 PM, Dalgety Bay TA said:

It’s not fabricated.

Some people want to sing. They feel better off being in a section of the ground where those around about them have the same train of thought.....and will more than likely join in if someone starts off a song.

Hampden, at the current time, is nothing like the Hampden of the 70s-90s. It’s dire nowadays. But even then....someone must have started the songs. There wasn’t a collective ESP within the crowd where they all fired up We Hate Jimmy Hill at the exact same moment. 

All that’s happening here is people who do feel they want to try and start a song here and there know they won’t be a lone voice and the song dies on its arse after 2 lines. 

Exactly. If I tried to start a song on my own and nobody joins in I am more likely to clear the ground of the last few remaining fans than create a positive atmosphere. 

Is this idea getting taken seriously at all ?

15 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Exactly. If I tried to start a song on my own and nobody joins in I am more likely to clear the ground of the last few remaining fans than create a positive atmosphere. 

Is this idea getting taken seriously at all ?

Its a lassie on one of the FB Groups has mentioned it a couple of times....but there hasn't been much response and a couple of those were around the "What if folks want to sit down in that section" posts. It might catch more peoples attention closer to the game but don't think its really taken off at current time.

5 hours ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

Its a lassie on one of the FB Groups has mentioned it a couple of times....but there hasn't been much response and a couple of those were around the "What if folks want to sit down in that section" posts. It might catch more peoples attention closer to the game but don't think its really taken off at current time.

Thanks. I hope it takes off , a bit of atmosphere would do no harm whatsoever. Nobody sits in the north / west stands anyway so I doubt it will be a problem. And I do believe you are supposed to stand when you sing as sitting restricts your airways 🙂

5 hours ago, scottincarlisle said:

To be honest the next game is a one off semi final. Its a game we 'should' win & with the low prices should be close to a sell out.

If we cannot create an atmosphere for that game we may as well give up.

I would agree, and think the atmosphere will be good but as I mentioned this earlier in the thread, I believe our main problem is that we don't have that many songs and a "good" atmosphere will always just consist of "We'll be coming" about 10 times a game along with "walk a million miles" and FOS. Not exactly stirring songs for when the team are chasing a winner.

A singing section could be good for coming up with new ones or bringing back some unused old ones 

Would it be so hard to get a chant of "Alba, Alba !" (Al - a- pa, Al - a - pa)  going ?

Or to get an airing of 

"Scots Wha Hae", 

"Caledonia",

"Bonnie Dundee",

"A' the Blue Bonnets Are Over the Border",

"Purple Heather", 

Or "Sex Over the Phone" by the Village People.

6 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Would it be so hard to get a chant of "Alba, Alba !" (Al - a- pa, Al - a - pa)  going ?

Or to get an airing of 

"Scots Wha Hae", 

"Caledonia",

"Bonnie Dundee",

"Purple Heather", 

Purple Heather is probably the only one of them I could imagine would sound ok on a terrace. Ballads like Caledonia would be difficult

13 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

"No Scotland to no party" is as simple as it gets and could easily be kept going or 90 minutes or until we score or after they score. Probably after they score might annoy the players enough to do something 

That's a shite chant.

On 12/19/2019 at 2:32 PM, ErsatzThistle said:

Or to get an airing of 

"Scots Wha Hae", 

"Caledonia",

"Bonnie Dundee",

"Purple Heather", 

I prefer "Wild Mountain Thyme" - much better.