Pets.. - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Just got a new dog. Chocolate lab, 9 weeks old. Named him "Wallace". Love him to bits. Hard at first though, I had a Belgian Sheppard that past 5 year ago. I had him for 15 year, named Larsson. Anyone else have a pet, pal. It's hard, its emotional. I will tell yae though, I love my wee Wallace. Reminds me alot of Larrson and brings back memories.. 

Would love a dog but the sad truth is I am too selfish to deal with the restrictions a dog puts on you. I am still enjoying some freedom  with my time after bringing up two children,  plus both my husband and I work full time and are away from the house 10 hours a day, not ideal for taking on a dog. I retire in 4 years and would definitely consider one then, and most likely a rescue dog. 

I get too attached to pets though. I still remember crying for days when our dog died when I was 9 years old. 
I even cried when my daughters hamster died. She carried it about the house for days in a gift box before it was buried,  it was like a hamster coffin. The wee thing was stiff as a board, there was no lid on the box and she filled it with hamster memorabilia. We even had a funeral service for it.

Another time i went to work crying because one of our guinea  pigs was dying. We had 2 and unbeknown to is one of them was eating all the food. By the time we realised it was too late. I went to work one day and my husband was trying to feed it water through a syringe.  It died an hour later 😢

There was no such emotion when the other fat wee fooker died a few years later. 

3 hours ago, Tartan_McCole said:

Aye, definitely.

Despite not wanting the hassle of pets, I've found myself with a cat, a hamster, and 3 chickens now. Bird can't see an animal needing rehomed and I'm a pushover.

I’d absolutely love chickens. I have a huge yard and already dedicate a chunk of it to growing veg. Two things stop me though. The coyotes around my house and the brutal cold Winter that would cost me a fortune on electric to heat a coop. 

4 hours ago, WCTA said:

I’d absolutely love chickens. I have a huge yard and already dedicate a chunk of it to growing veg. Two things stop me though. The coyotes around my house and the brutal cold Winter that would cost me a fortune on electric to heat a coop. 

Grizzly Adams eat yer heart out.

🐣🐣🐥🐔🐺🐺🐻👨🏽‍🌾

11 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Grizzly Adams eat yer heart out.

🐣🐣🐥🐔🐺🐺🐻👨🏽‍🌾

A healthy chicken gives an egg each day. They are hardy hoors compared to some creatures with the cold but not that hardy that a -50 temp throughout January and February wouldn’t get them. 

5 hours ago, WCTA said:

Yard?? You mean ‘gairden’ ya trumpnugget??

Kids have a cat, Lucy, she’s a cunt. Ran away twice, but always comes back. 

Oldest one bought a dog a couple of weeks ago, can’t go outside yet, so he’s currently kicking about the house in fucking nappies. He’s cute enough I suppose, but keeps licking my face and trying to eat my heed, almost for a slap tonight when he went for my Fab icicle. I’ve been assured I won’t be the one walking him during the winter, but I already know that’s a fucking lie. 

16 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

Kids have a cat, Lucy, she’s a cunt. Ran away twice, but always comes back. 

Oldest one bought a dog a couple of weeks ago, can’t go outside yet, so he’s currently kicking about the house in fucking nappies. He’s cute enough I suppose, but keeps licking my face and trying to eat my heed, almost for a slap tonight when he went for my Fab icicle. I’ve been assured I won’t be the one walking him during the winter, but I already know that’s a fucking lie. 

When are you getting that boozer in yer yar..... sorry gairden? You and the dug can bugger off intae it for peace. 

Had wee Wallace nearly 2 weeks now. He is now trained to go in his crate at bedtime, and no more messing in the house. Not bad for a 9 week old puppy. Loves me tae bits, which is annoying my wife, but then again, who is up at 5am tontake the wee shite out for a pee. Aye, no her.. Just love the wee fella....

I have always had an allergy to most animals & birds as did my dad so I never had a ‘proper’ pet as child or adult. 
I’ve got a little albino leopard gecko lizard though who is cute but dim. He will only eat insects when they are alive so if he sees one keeping still, he’ll go & prod it with his nose to check, thus giving it time to hop out of his way. Not the sharpest of characters. 

On 12/11/2019 at 12:49 AM, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Had wee Wallace nearly 2 weeks now. He is now trained to go in his crate at bedtime, and no more messing in the house. Not bad for a 9 week old puppy. Loves me tae bits, which is annoying my wife, but then again, who is up at 5am tontake the wee shite out for a pee. Aye, no her.. Just love the wee fella....

Just out of interest why did you decide to crate him? 

6 minutes ago, Kirk said:

Just out of interest why did you decide to crate him? 

By crate do you mean a cage? edit: Seems popular in yankland to have what looks like an extended birdcage for a dog to sleep in at night. 

Edited by thplinth

55 minutes ago, thplinth said:

By crate do you mean a cage? edit: Seems popular in yankland to have what looks like an extended birdcage for a dog to sleep in at night. 

We’ve got one too, just for when we’re out to save him chewing the house to bits.