Steven Fletcher - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Steven Fletcher

Super_Scotlandfan

Steven Fletcher  

56 members have voted

1. 1. If Steven Fletcher makes himself available again in March would you start him in the play off games?

• Yes
    • No

If the season progresses how it has been and our striker choices remain the same would you start Fletcher in the play-offs?

This is assuming the options remain as they are i.e. McBurnie remains bit part at Sheffield United, as does Griffiths at Celtic and Naismith is fit and playing for Hearts. 

He's scoring goals and has been important to us in the past. I think I'd struggle to say no considering our limited options but it sends a poor message to the rest of the players. 

Truthfully the only player I'd asks if they'd be available for the playoffs is Allan McGregor.

Fletcher is slightly better than what we have but Naismith has formed a nice partnership with McGinn and Christie and his style suits them. If Naismith gets another injury then we may need Fletcher but everyone fit then I'm on the fence.

Brown is still a quality player and has a will to win but I'd say him being the squad, doesn't make much of a quality difference with everyone fit. A few injuries and I'd probably be giving him a call though.

McGregor is the only one that is a massive, massive jump in quality to what we have. Would be shite on Marshall but considering this is our best chance at qualifying for atleast 3/4 years, we probably need to put sentiment and loyalty aside for a better player. Let's be honest here while we missed chances in the nation's league game, it was a couple world class saves (that Marshall isn't really capable of) that got us over the line. With how poor defence is, I genuinely worry what happens when they likes of Haaland, Odengaard and King come up against our defence. They will have chances due to their attacking quality. From what I've seen of Marshall recently he is an average mid table championship keeper. He isn't going to produce game saving saves, McGregor can.

3 minutes ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

Truthfully the only player I'd asks if they'd be available for the playoffs is Allan McGregor.

Fletcher is slightly better than what we have but Naismith has formed a nice partnership with McGinn and Christie and his style suits them. If Naismith gets another injury then we may need Fletcher but everyone fit then I'm on the fence.

Brown is still a quality player and has a will to win but I'd say him being the squad, doesn't make much of a quality difference with everyone fit. A few injuries and I'd probably be giving him a call though.

McGregor is the only one that is a massive, massive jump in quality to what we have. Would be shite on Marshall but considering this is our best chance at qualifying for atleast 3/4 years, we probably need to put sentiment and loyalty aside for a better player. Let's be honest here while we missed chances in the nation's league game, it was a couple world class saves (that Marshall isn't really capable of) that got us over the line. With how poor defence is, I genuinely worry what happens when they likes of Haaland, Odengaard and King come up against our defence. They will have chances due to their attacking quality. From what I've seen of Marshall recently he is an average mid table championship keeper. He isn't going to produce game saving saves, McGregor can.

I disagree. If you have retired then you can eff off in my opinion. Every player knew we had these play offs coming up. It's not like it's a shock to anyone we are 2 games away from the euros. We've known for a while now. You cant just pick and choose what tournament you want to play in. 

We have a bit of momentum now with the players we have. 

If you've officially retired from international football then there is no way back in my opinion. 

28 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Has he made himself unavailable?

He’s definitely a better player than McBurnie as he can actually control and pass a ball.

I’d have him in the squad definitely. 

He gave it the “I’ll need to speak with Clarke and see what his plans are, I’m in my 30’s and now injury free and don’t want to jeopardise that blah blah blah”

1 hour ago, ProudScot said:

Has he made himself unavailable?

He’s definitely a better player than McBurnie as he can actually control and pass a ball.

I’d have him in the squad definitely. 

If he was available

He would be in the squads

He's obviously not available

4 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

He gave it the “I’ll need to speak with Clarke and see what his plans are, I’m in my 30’s and now injury free and don’t want to jeopardise that blah blah blah”

If he was completely unavailable he’d  come out as say he’s retired. 

There’s an interview with Liam Palmer in October saying he reckons that Fletcher would make himself available for a major tournament. 

Maybe these games would convince him? 

For me it’s a 100% no if he wanted to play in the finals only after watching his team mates get there. But I’d consider him if he wants to play in March. 

If I were Clarke I’d say to all of the players that ‘have made them selves unavailable’/retired that they won’t be picked for the finals unless they make themselves available for these games too. 

Theres been a few suggestion on here regarding players like fletcher and whether we would want them back for the finals if we got there.

The answer should be absolutely not. You dont get to fuck off your country, the fans and your team mates then come crawling back because theres a tiny amount of success. That type of player is the one you dont want in the team.

26 minutes ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

There’s an interview with Liam Palmer in October saying he reckons that Fletcher would make himself available for a major tournament. 

For me it’s a 100% no if he wanted to play in the finals only after watching his team mates get there. But I’d consider him if he wants to play in March. 

If I were Clarke I’d say to all of the players that ‘have made them selves unavailable’/retired that they won’t be picked for the finals unless they make themselves available for these games too. 

The fact he’s not been in the squad says a lot. Maybe him and Clarke decided he wouldn’t officially retire but he wasn’t available for the qualifiers, in any case he’s not that good to just come waltzing back in for a play off. 

10 hours ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

You've probably nailed it

He cannot be fucked playing for his country

But won't rule himself out entirely

As if the rest of the players without him manage to get to a major finals

He'll stick his hand up again as he quite fancies that