Fraser/Forrest/Christie: Which one would you drop? - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Fraser/Forrest/Christie: Which one would you drop?

mrniaboc

Fraser/Forrest/Christie: Which one would you drop?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Fraser/Forrest/Christie: Which one would you drop?

• Fraser
    • Forrest
    • Christie

43 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

I'd have all 3. We did last time we beat Israel. 

I think the question assumes McGinn will be playing in an attacking role. He's been that good that we don't even question his inclusion in the starting 11. And based on this poll, it seems like Christie is one of the first names on the team sheet, too. So it's between Forrest and Fraser.

I'd drop Forrest due to the fact we never know which version of him will play. Even when he's on top form for Celtic, he sometimes looks a shell of the same man just days later.

A lot of people (rightfully) praising Forrest for his Albania/Israel performances. But let's not forget the other stand out performer in those games - Fraser. He was slightly overshadowed by Forrest's goals. But I'd argue Fraser was the best player over both games.

11 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

I think the question assumes McGinn will be playing in an attacking role. He's been that good that we don't even question his inclusion in the starting 11. And based on this poll, it seems like Christie is one of the first names on the team sheet, too. So it's between Forrest and Fraser.

I'd drop Forrest due to the fact we never know which version of him will play. Even when he's on top form for Celtic, he sometimes looks a shell of the same man just days later.

A lot of people (rightfully) praising Forrest for his Albania/Israel performances. But let's not forget the other stand out performer in those games - Fraser. He was slightly overshadowed by Forrest's goals. But I'd argue Fraser was the best player over both games.

I did indeed! I think if we had all four on the pitch there would be a gigantic hole in the middle of the park with McTominay desperately trying to fill it. 

1 hour ago, Rich NATA said:

Well, that depends on how great the goals were...

... and two of them were piss-easy to put away.

But f*ck it... I'll go with it... Let's add Israel at Hampden to Albania away...

Two great performances in a Scotland shirt... Two... Two...

Your a hard man to please.

Guest ElChris04
27 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Going to have to disagree, Fraser was great, first goal to get us off in Albania then assisted Forrest for his 2nd in Albania and 3rd against Israel. 

but Forrest Was unplayable, His 2 goals against Albania where top class and his second goal was a finish I would expect from a world class striker. Motm bar none and should have had a hat trick with his solo skill if it where not for Bates touching the ball. Now Israel, Forrest again was way ahead of anyone and his finishing and positing for 3 goals where world class. Christie was 2nd motm behind Forrest against Israel for me aswell. Fraser was good as mentioned but Forest was on another level in those games. 

1 hour ago, PASTA Mick said:

I'd have all 3. We did last time we beat Israel. 

So we leave out McGinn?  Or play McGinn or Christie as a holding central midfielder?  Not a chance......McGinn has cemented his spot as our man behind the striker now - deservedly undroppable.  There is no room for all 3 - Fraser goes for me, until he shpws his commitment to Scotland........

Put yourself in the mindset of the Israel dressing room when the teamsheet comes in. If you don't see the name of the guy who terrorised you with a hattrick just over a year ago in the exact same venue, you'd get an immediate boost. 

On the flipside of that, if Forrest were to play, Isreal will naturally be wary of him no matter what their coach might tell them. They will either back of and give him space, which he is often very very capable of exploiting, or they get too tight and either get turned or foul him over and over. This will give us set-piece chances, get us up the park and get them in the book. It seems quite odd to me, given the opposition in question, that anyone would contemplate dropping Forrest for our next game. 

Beyond that, as has been mentioned by many others, much as it might sneak up on us faster than we think, there is so much football between now and March. Who knows what sort of form these three guys will be in come that time. The initial question was about who you would drop right now, as in if the game was next week, so in that case I'd drop Fraser. Christie and Forrest both playing well for their club and both did well, or very well, in the last two games. Fraser in and out of the Bournemouth team a wee bit thus far this season (contract reasons, presumably) and hasn't quite hit the heights of last year as yet. 

All that could well have changed come March, of course. But at the moment, despite the fact I think that when all 3 are at their best his is the best footballer of them, Fraser is the one you use as a sub. 

9 hours ago, WeLuvIrnBru said:

So we leave out McGinn?  Or play McGinn or Christie as a holding central midfielder?  Not a chance......McGinn has cemented his spot as our man behind the striker now - deservedly undroppable.  There is no room for all 3 - Fraser goes for me, until he shpws his commitment to Scotland........

Fair point.

If I have to leave one out, it's Christie.

Fraser is our best player. Forrest destroyed Israel at Hampden last time. 

Christie has to play, not even going to discuss his merits. 

Forrest has played well in 3 or 4 games max for Scotland, and hasn’t had a performance since the nations league games, he has returned to being utter shit. I know that Tim minded fans can’t accept that while Forrest for Celtic is excellent, for Scotland he is almost always pathetic.

Fraser Is a cunt with the heart he size of a pea. He was very good last season for some English club apparently, but nowhere near the same level this season. Seems to perform even less often than Forrest when he an be arsed turning up, again nothing since the nations league games. 

17 minutes ago, kumnio said:

Forrest has played well in 3 or 4 games max for Scotland, and hasn’t had a performance since the nations league games, he has returned to being utter shit. I know that Tim minded fans can’t accept that while Forrest for Celtic is excellent, for Scotland he is almost always pathetic.

Fraser Is a cunt with the heart he size of a pea. He was very good last season for some English club apparently, but nowhere near the same level this season. Seems to perform even less often than Forrest when he an be arsed turning up, again nothing since the nations league games. 

...apart from assisting goals against San Marino, Cyprus, and Russia. 

17 minutes ago, kumnio said:

Other than the first part, that's just lazy, uninformed nonsense.

1 hour ago, mrniaboc said:

...apart from assisting goals against San Marino, Cyprus, and Russia. 

It's just another case of seeing what you want to see. Based on a lot of evidence a lot of people decided Forrest was crap for us and will remain so no matter how much his performances have improved.

Dread to think how many goals McBurnie has to score to get of the hate radar. I haven't seen a striker get so much stick since Kenny(sitter) Miller but he turned out ok.

I think the Ryan Fraser on the right supporters need to check how often he played there last season and this season so far.Two seasons ago he played every position on both sides of the pitch before it was realised that he was a left sided player. Even played twice at right back so we could stick him in there rather than have him take Forrrests place further forward.

Any way I want to play the 4-1-4-1 we played against Albania so that means play all three.

6 hours ago, AndyDD said:

Put yourself in the mindset of the Israel dressing room when the teamsheet comes in. If you don't see the name of the guy who terrorised you with a hattrick just over a year ago in the exact same venue, you'd get an immediate boost. 

On the flipside of that, if Forrest were to play, Isreal will naturally be wary of him no matter what their coach might tell them. They will either back of and give him space, which he is often very very capable of exploiting, or they get too tight and either get turned or foul him over and over. This will give us set-piece chances, get us up the park and get them in the book. It seems quite odd to me, given the opposition in question, that anyone would contemplate dropping Forrest for our next game. 

Beyond that, as has been mentioned by many others, much as it might sneak up on us faster than we think, there is so much football between now and March. Who knows what sort of form these three guys will be in come that time. The initial question was about who you would drop right now, as in if the game was next week, so in that case I'd drop Fraser. Christie and Forrest both playing well for their club and both did well, or very well, in the last two games. Fraser in and out of the Bournemouth team a wee bit thus far this season (contract reasons, presumably) and hasn't quite hit the heights of last year as yet. 

All that could well have changed come March, of course. But at the moment, despite the fact I think that when all 3 are at their best his is the best footballer of them, Fraser is the one you use as a sub. 

That's a very good point. I've talked before about psychological advantages. It can make a big difference. It's the reason the big teams will generally win against unfamiliar opposition, because they have the big name players and on paper look better, regardless of form. 

It's also why I think when we can say we have a Man Utd, Liverpool and Arsenal player starting, it gives us the upper hand, psychologically.

For Israel, I've changed my mind, I'd play Forrest, absolutely. But, depending on how he does in that game, I'd switch to Fraser for Norway/Serbia.

Even if Forrest doesn't play well, he'll still be the main focus of attention, and will free up space on the other side of the pitch for Christie, McGinn et al to exploit.

Edited by Tartan blood

7 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

It's just another case of seeing what you want to see. Based on a lot of evidence a lot of people decided Forrest was crap for us and will remain so no matter how much his performances have improved.

Dread to think how many goals McBurnie has to score to get of the hate radar. I haven't seen a striker get so much stick since Kenny(sitter) Miller but he turned out ok.

I think the Ryan Fraser on the right supporters need to check how often he played there last season and this season so far.Two seasons ago he played every position on both sides of the pitch before it was realised that he was a left sided player. Even played twice at right back so we could stick him in there rather than have him take Forrrests place further forward.

Any way I want to play the 4-1-4-1 we played against Albania so that means play all three.

1 would be a start ...

They are all good players on their day tbh but unfortunately Forrests good days for Scotland are few and far between and Fraser and Christie give us a fine balance on both sides as inside forwards to allow Robertson and Palmer to go forward and provide our width. This seems to be how Clarke wants to play and Fraser definitely suits Robertsons game more on that side, he is also probably our most creative player, providing a good few assists for us in qualifying so Fraser and Christie for me either side of McGinn

3 minutes ago, bazmidd said:

They are all good players on their day tbh but unfortunately Forrests good days for Scotland are few and far between and Fraser and Christie give us a fine balance on both sides as inside forwards to allow Robertson and Palmer to go forward and provide our width. This seems to be how Clarke wants to play and Fraser definitely suits Robertsons game more on that side, he is also probably our most creative player, providing a good few assists for us in qualifying so Fraser and Christie for me either side of McGinn

So you want to play two inside forwards two attacking full backs a forward midfield player and I assume a striker.

I can see a few problems.

17 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

That's a very good point. I've talked before about psychological advantages. It can make a big difference. It's the reason the big teams will generally win against unfamiliar opposition, because they have the big name players and on paper look better, regardless of form. 

It's also why I think when we can say we have a Man Utd, Liverpool and Arsenal player starting, it gives us the upper hand, psychologically.

For Israel, I've changed my mind, I'd play Forrest, absolutely. But, depending on how he does in that game, I'd switch to Fraser for Norway/Serbia.

Even if Forrest doesn't play well, he'll still be the main focus of attention, and will free up space on the other side of the pitch for Christie, McGinn et al to exploit.

Yeah it can be a significant factor, and at this level sometimes it's the finest of margins that makes the difference. 

I think it would be quite reasonable to change things for the final should we get there, aye, as away to Norway or Serbia is a rather different prospect to Israel at home, in my estimation. Clarke has proven to be a horses for courses sort of coach and I think that's wise, for the most part. Like you say it might depend on how he does, I mean if he scores another hattrick he'd probably be impossible to drop haha. 

Bolded part is absolutely bang on and precisely the point. He won't even need to play particularly well to have a positive impact. His presence alone will command the attention of the opponents in the semi. 

On 11/28/2019 at 10:11 PM, ceudmilefailte said:

So you want to play two inside forwards two attacking full backs a forward midfield player and I assume a striker.

I can see a few problems.

Is that not exactly what we played last time we beat them.... 

Very lazy bit of trolling here tbh

Edited by bazmidd

40 minutes ago, bazmidd said:

Is that not exactly what we played last time we beat them.... 

Very lazy bit of trolling here tbh

Is trolling deliberate, wasn't meaning to, apologies.

I'm not a fan of two wingers(said that before) and was looking for a team that can compete against better teams than Israel. It's a bit like I said after the San Marino game. What was the point of that we are still no nearer a system. Fair enough I suppose if all we want to do is beat Israel.