Balance - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Balance

gonzohiggy

For anyone who thinks picking a midfield with the wrong balance is a good shout just to shoehorn our best players into the team - watch man utd. 

Perreira is like calum mcgregor, neat and tidy and a good player but weak with no defensive instincts. Next to him is Fred who is kinda similar. 

Because of that they are getting utterly dominated in the middle of the park by John fleck and oli Norwood. 😳

We can't afford to play mcgregor and mctominay with mcginn in front, it would be suicidal. 

It's either mcgregor OR Mctominay not both together 👍

Agree with this and, whilst our back four is our weak point we need a holding midfielder to screen the back four...question is who?

Jack plays as a box to box midfielder for the Gers (with Davis sitting behind him) so ithe holding role is not his natural (or best) position.  Long term I see Lewis Ferguson performing this role (he does it for the U21s) but for the play offs I'd go with Mulgrew - he's done it before and I think there's a case for one last hurrah before the baton passes onto Ferguson.

13 hours ago, Bino's said:

As said

France 98

Lambert (holder)

Collins (ball player)

Burley ( runner)

We have that now

Jack (holder)

McGregor (ball player)

McGinn ( runner)

Why Jack though? He doesn't play the holding role for Rangers. McTominay is a far better player

43 minutes ago, bazmidd said:

Why Jack though? He doesn't play the holding role for Rangers. McTominay is a far better player

He absolutely is a better player, no doubt.

in my opinion though, he is not as switched on defensively as jack and I think him with mcgregor leaves us too exposed in the middle.

i just like the positional sense and leadership from jack with mctominay. I’d have mcgregor a sub.

I recall watching McTominay very much switched on defensively against PSG and Barcelona. The boy can do it all tbh and us the epitome of a born leader. Maybe Jack and McTominay could be the option over McGregor, I think McTominay if fit should be the first name in our Midfield though

1 hour ago, bazmidd said:

I recall watching McTominay very much switched on defensively against PSG and Barcelona. The boy can do it all tbh and us the epitome of a born leader. Maybe Jack and McTominay could be the option over McGregor, I think McTominay if fit should be the first name in our Midfield though

Chripper has brainwashed every one on here with regards to what McTominay can and can't do.It all comes down to how important you perceive the position of defensive midfielder. With our defence it is probably the one position we have to fill with the best available for the job. That is McTominay.

Any one who thinks Jack is just as good must have some amazing insight into his potential ability at a higher level.

It's a long way to March so probably best to wait and see if one or two players doing well at the moment manage to maintain their form.

1 hour ago, bazmidd said:

I think he should be too and paired with jack. 

I think mctominay will go way past any of our current midfielders in his career but I believe that is as a box to box and as long as he's relied on to be the defensive type he is being underutilised