Curling - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Curling

Orraloon

The Scottish men's team have just finished 3rd in the European championships. Eve Muirhead takes on Sweden it the women's final this afternoon. One of the few sports that we are good at and it gets virtually no coverage on UK TV. This is one of the problems with sport in Scotland. Our TV media focus almost totally on one sport which we aren't very good at. 

11 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

The Scottish men's team have just finished 3rd in the European championships. Eve Muirhead takes on Sweden it the women's final this afternoon. One of the few sports that we are good at and it gets virtually no coverage on UK TV. This is one of the problems with sport in Scotland. Our TV media focus almost totally on one sport which we aren't very good at. 

Our TV media focus is about whatever sport england wants to watch

• 2 years later...

Scotland doing not too bad in the curling. Mens and womens teams both getting to the final of the European Championships. BBC coverage of this has been appalling. One of the few sports Scotland are actually good at, but it barely gets a mention.

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

Scotland doing not too bad in the curling. Mens and womens teams both getting to the final of the European Championships. BBC coverage of this has been appalling. One of the few sports Scotland are actually good at, but it barely gets a mention.

The BBC were showing live coverage of the men's game on their website but now that the game is done there's literally no mention of it anywhere on the site. An absolute joke.

6 minutes ago, wee-toon-red said:

The BBC were showing live coverage of the men's game on their website but now that the game is done there's literally no mention of it anywhere on the site. An absolute joke.

And the feed broke down half way through. 

If anybody is interested in watching the final you can get it on the Recast app. Both finals are on tomorrow.

• 2 months later...

Good start for Scotland in the mixed doubles beating Sweden 9-5.

They got out of jail a wee bit though. It should have been an 8-8 draw but the Swedish lassie missed a fairly straight forward take out with the last stone of the game.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, that's the diddy competition over and done with. Well done to all of the women's team, the men's team, and the mixed doubles team. They all played very well.

In the next couple of months we get down to the main curling events with the World Championships. Let's see how much coverage we get of them on the bbc now that we will be watching Team Scotland instead of Team GB? 

• 2 months later...
On 4/30/2022 at 5:29 PM, Orraloon said:

Scotland are World Champions in the mixed doubles again. Well done Eve Muirhead and Bobby Lammie.

Have you seen 'Losers' on Netflix?  Really good series and one of the episodes is about a bloke who loses at the big curling tournament in Canada.  Takes the hump and comes back the next year and perfected a style of play so boring they changed the rules to what they are now:

18 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Have you seen 'Losers' on Netflix?  Really good series and one of the episodes is about a bloke who loses at the big curling tournament in Canada.  Takes the hump and comes back the next year and perfected a style of play so boring they changed the rules to what they are now:

Haven't seen it but I assume it's about the "Free Guard Zone" rule. It was pretty controversial and ground breaking at the time, but I don't think anybody would want to go back to the old rules now. It started with only 3 rocks, then went to 4 and very recently they changed to 5 rocks not being allowed to be removed. They are about to change it again and some of the top players are not happy about it. They aren't going to be allowed to move those rocks at all, never my mind remove them. It will put an end to Halley Duff's trademark "tick" shots. I'm sure she will manage to adapt though. 

3 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Haven't seen it but I assume it's about the "Free Guard Zone" rule. It was pretty controversial and ground breaking at the time, but I don't think anybody would want to go back to the old rules now. It started with only 3 rocks, then went to 4 and very recently they changed to 5 rocks not being allowed to be removed. They are about to change it again and some of the top players are not happy about it. They aren't going to be allowed to move those rocks at all, never my mind remove them. It will put an end to Halley Duff's trademark "tick" shots. I'm sure she will manage to adapt though. 

Yeah that's the one!  It was interesting too because the other teams at the time were like pub amatuers but his team turned up like pro-athletes.  

• 11 months later...
1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

Scotland win the world championship by beating Canada in the final in Ottawa 

I was supposed to go to the final with my mate, he had 2 passes, but his daughter wanted to go as Canada made the final, sold out.. I watched it though. 96 percent shot rate, the highest in any World Tournaments history. The boys were flawless. Nice to see Hammy McMillan son win the world's just like his dad. There was a good Scottish contingent in the crowd and the boys thanked them. Just a great story all around, well done lads...🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿