Play Off Opponent Profiles - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Play Off Opponent Profiles

Super_Scotlandfan

56 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

Norway haven't lost at home since September 2016.  They will probably win both matches next month.  

I also think they will win both matches.

They have a decent recent home record but it might not be as great as that stat might suggest? They have played 15 home games in that run, and drawn 5 of them, against pretty decent opposition right enough. But they haven't managed to beat good teams at home. The only team ranked above them that they have managed to beat at home is NI.

They have won 10 of those 15 home games. Four of them have been won by a single goal. So, of those 15 home games they have had 6 wins which I would describe as "comfortable". They were against San Marino, Azerbaijan, Australia, Cyprus, Malta, and Faroe Islands.

Their 4 single goal victories were against NI, Panama, Slovenia and Bulgaria.

That's a decent home record but not what I would describe as great.

Edited by Orraloon

13 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I also think they will win both matches.

They have a decent recent home record but it might not be as great as that stat might suggest? They have played 15 home games in that run, and drawn 5 of them, against pretty decent opposition right enough. But they haven't managed to beat good teams at home. The only team ranked above them that they have managed to beat at home is NI.

They have won 10 of those 15 home games. Four of them have been won by a single goal. So, of those 15 home games they have had 6 wins which I would describe as "comfortable". They were against San Marino, Azerbaijan, Australia, Cyprus, Malta, and Faroe Islands.

Their 4 single goal victories were against NI, Panama, Slovenia and Bulgaria.

That's a decent home record but not what I would describe as great.

Looks like a single-goal victory for Norway, if we both get that far then, based on those stats.

Although, digging deeper, presumably a lot of those matches were before Erling Haaland came along, and against much better defences than ours, so that could easily tilt a single-goal victory towards a three or four-goal victory!

Haaland has done nothing at international level. Never even scored a goal. He might turn out to be another Steven Fletcher or Brian McClair? His transfer fee was only 20 million euros. Last time I looked, a pound was still worth more than a euro so that means McBurnie is better than him. And we all know that he is pure pish. McBurnie is also playing in a better league than Haaland which obviously means Haaland is no better than McBurnie. Nothing to worry about with Haaland. Might be more chance of him turning up though?

3 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Haaland has done nothing at international level. Never even scored a goal. He might turn out to be another Steven Fletcher or Brian McClair? His transfer fee was only 20 million euros. Last time I looked, a pound was still worth more than a euro so that means McBurnie is better than him. And we all know that he is pure pish. McBurnie is also playing in a better league than Haaland which obviously means Haaland is no better than McBurnie. Nothing to worry about with Haaland. Might be more chance of him turning up though?

What are you talking about?!

I’m going to assume that the sarcasm in your post didn’t come through clearly enough!

3 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

It really is a bit silly how some one can be this good.

Maybe the Norwegian boss will stay loyal to the players that got them to the play offs

He failed to score in his first two internationals - our fans would have written him off with those sort of international statistics.

9 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

Norway haven't lost at home since September 2016.  They will probably win both matches next month.  

We hadn’t lost a competitive home match for nearly four years until Belgium and Russia came to town and we’re not great. These types of records can be misleading.

Norway’s result against Spain was a good one but I’m not sure who else they have played. I do know they’ve drawn a few games at home as well (Romania rings a bell?) and a draw may well be enough for us if it’s Norway and Scotland in the final. 

6 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

He’s a great player but he won’t get the same service playing for Norway as he does for Dortmund. He can’t score in every game. 

I agree but surely this will be more than balanced out by the fact that he’s playing against Scottish Premiership defenders, rather than Bundesliga or Paris St Germain defenders?!?

I’m scared. Apparently he scored 9 goals in one Under-20 World Cup match! 😮

7 minutes ago, dohadeer said:

I agree but surely this will be more than balanced out by the fact that he’s playing against Scottish Premiership defenders, rather than Bundesliga or Paris St Germain defenders?!?

I’m scared. Apparently he scored 9 goals in one Under-20 World Cup match! 😮

Why are you scared?

You already think we won’t qualify and have stated several times that you don’t want us to. 

Anyway, there’s probably no point in worrying about the big chap until we know we will be playing Norway. Israel could beat us or Serbia could beat Norway. 

1 minute ago, Texas Pete said:

Why are you scared?

You already think we won’t qualify and have stated several times that you don’t want us to. 

Anyway, there’s probably no point in worrying about the big chap until we know we will be playing Norway. Israel could beat us or Serbia could beat Norway. 

I’m scared that he could ruin a few international careers in one match, the amount of goals he’s been scoring recently.

You’re right though. Although it’s the most likely final at this stage, out of the four possible match-ups, it’s still more likely that Scotland and Norway won’t end up facing each other.

8 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Love it. 

McBurnie > Haaland 

Haaland couldnae lace McBurnies boots.. Cos he was too busy scoring goals while McBurnie was in the stand at a Swansea City FC match dressed like Pete Docherty making a wanker sign at the oppositions fans. 

4 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Love it. 

McBurnie > Haaland 

Haaland couldnae lace McBurnies boots.. Cos he was too busy scoring goals while McBurnie was in the stand at a Swansea City FC match dressed like Pete Docherty making a wanker sign at the oppositions fans. 

Doherty.

Unless you’re talking about Tommy’s cousin or something.

4 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Love it. 

McBurnie > Haaland 

They have scored the exact same amount of senior international goals.