Penalty Shootout - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Penalty Shootout

RightPeg

I honestly can't remember us being involved in a shoot out, you have to be good at football and reach knock out stages for that to happen

You would expect McGinn, Naismith, Christie, Forrest and McTominey to step up, all of which I would be confident would be capable of scoring.

I don't even want to contemplate that. Imagine a penalty shoot out in the final? 

Horrific tension. Anal nerves collapsing nation wide. 

1 minute ago, AndyDD said:

I don't even want to contemplate that. Imagine a penalty shoot out in the final? 

Horrific tension. Anal nerves collapsing nation wide. 

bring it on, imagine the euphoria of a penalty shoot out win to get to a finals.  

1 minute ago, vanderark14 said:

bring it on, imagine the euphoria of a penalty shoot out win to get to a finals.  

Hahaha aw you're right, it would be sensational. The outpouring of joy and relief would be all the greater due to the tension. 

I reckon we'd blow a penalty shootout, though. No many players in our squad who have taken part in one. They will need to practice it but, for the first time since, what, the Dutch playoff under Vogts? Been no prospect of one since then. 

Thankfully we'll no need one, we'll skoosh the final at Hampden by two clear goals. 

14 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I don’t think we’ll be any worse at penalties than any of the teams we’ll play. It would be a lottery though and would be a horrible way to go out. 

Probably right. I'd also say that Scotland's problem is not quality players (apart from CBs) it's playing as a team unit but we have good individuals. Penalties would probably suit us on paper. 

I'd happily see Naismith, McGinn, McGregor, Fraser, Robertson, Forrest, Tierney,  hit them. Shouldn't get further than that.

Edited by RightPeg

49 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I honestly can't remember us being involved in a shoot out, you have to be good at football and reach knock out stages for that to happen

You would expect McGinn, Naismith, Christie, Forrest and McTominey to step up, all of which I would be confident would be capable of scoring.

We have been knocked out in extra time in a play off, but never had a penalty shoot out.

Quick quiz question while we are waiting for the draw. Should be easy for older viewers but the youngsters might not know about it?

Which Scottish team lost a penalty shoot out but still went through to the next round?

Edited by Orraloon

5 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Scotland have never taken part in a penalty shoot out at full international level.

Potentially we could have been had we drawn with England at Wembley in the 1986 Rous Cup game or if the play offs V Australia (1985), England (1999) and Holland (2003) had finished level on aggregate.

Only ever one full Scotland gone to extra time - Czechoslovakia in 1961 the play off for the 1962 World Cup. 2-2 after 90 minutes, Czechs won 4-2 in the end.

Again those three two legged play offs could have gone to ET.

4 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Quick quiz question while we are waiting for the draw. Should be easy for older viewers but the youngsters might not know about it?

Which Scottish team lost a penalty shoot out but still went through to the next round?

Rangers sometime in the 70's.  I think they all went ahead with the shootout and later on some journo told them they should've been through cos of the away goals.  Something like that anyway.  Totally changed days.

35 minutes ago, DaveyDenoon said:

Can’t remember that? Must’ve been a long long time ago?

Versus Czechoslovakia for the 1962 World Cup, played at a neutral venue, Brussels. 

We must be one of the few long established international teams to never feature in a penalty shoot out?!

6 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

I don’t think we’ll be any worse at penalties than any of the teams we’ll play. It would be a lottery though and would be a horrible way to go out. 

Penalty shoot outs aren't a lottery. They're about skill, mentality and preparation.