Well said Broony. - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Well said Broony.

Big Ramy 1314

13 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Here's my take on Brown.. He led Celtic into Rome, and knocked off a team that is 3rd in Seria A. He is playing the best football of his career. He is a born leader, a man that bosses the midfield, exactly what Scotland is missing. I am no having a go or disrespect the Scottish midfield at present, just saying I have no problem with Brown returning should it happen. He plays with McGregor , Forrest , and Christie, week in and week out. I am tired of missing big tournaments, it's been 21 long years, if Brown, Fletcher, Snodgrass can help get us there, then so be it.. The current squad beat Cyprus and Kazakhstan for ffs. Should we get through the semi final,, Serbia or Norway is a different beast all together. Just my honest opinion.  Alba Gu Brath...

John mcginn will boss the midfield and is capable of leading. Scott brown has had his chance, nobody, absolutely nobody gets to pick and choose when they play.

I'd instantly lose respect for clarke if we qualify for the euros and I bet some players would too

43 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

We have all been complaining about players calling off or not being committed. To let brown come straight back in when it suits him justifies players picking and choosing when they can be bothered. It sends a bad message to the rest who bother their arses.

I agree with this sentiment in general. And could be applied to Allan McGregor and Steven Fletcher. But Scott Brown has more than shown his commitment for Scotland. It's not unusual for 34 years olds to retire from national football. 

I think he at least deserves to be included (if he wants to be)

Just now, Tartan blood said:

I agree with this sentiment in general. And could be applied to Allan McGregor and Steven Fletcher. But Scott Brown has more than shown his commitment for Scotland. It's not unusual for 34 years olds to retire from national football. 

Tbh I wouldn't mind brown being picked cos I like him and he was usually committed to the cause back in the day but it would be very harsh to the rest of the midfielders and for that reason I am against it.

1 hour ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Here's my take on Brown.. He led Celtic into Rome, and knocked off a team that is 3rd in Seria A. He is playing the best football of his career. He is a born leader, a man that bosses the midfield, exactly what Scotland is missing. I am no having a go or disrespect the Scottish midfield at present, just saying I have no problem with Brown returning should it happen. He plays with McGregor , Forrest , and Christie, week in and week out. I am tired of missing big tournaments, it's been 21 long years, if Brown, Fletcher, Snodgrass can help get us there, then so be it.. The current squad beat Cyprus and Kazakhstan for ffs. Should we get through the semi final,, Serbia or Norway is a different beast all together. Just my honest opinion.  Alba Gu Brath...

You could have saved yourself the bother of typing all that out by just saying Hail Hail, Up the RA. 

12 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

This may be the funniest thing I’ll read all day. 😂

19 minutes ago, WCTA said:

You could have saved yourself the bother of typing all that out by just saying Hail Hail, Up the RA. 

You really are an annoying trumpet at times. I support Celtic FC, I have absolutely no interest in the fucking IRA. I'm Scottish fella. I know you are on the wind up, but that felt good to get off ma chest..

1 hour ago, Tartan blood said:

There is always 3 or 4 slots in the squad that are interchangeable. The vast majority of the players that get us there will play a huge part.

If we have an area of the park that can be significantly strengthened, and help us compete, then we should consider it. 

I understand regarding players like McArthur or Ritchie, who have rarely shown commitment. But Brown has 50+ caps and was captain for a lot of that. I think he's earned the right to be considered.

Give me strength.

Yes there are slots that can be changed but not for people that have left us in the lurch by continually pulling out of squads or who have retired.

Brown has NO RIGHT to be considered as he has retired from international football. Same goes for McGregor and Snodgrass and anyone else who has retired.

3 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

I think a bit of perspective is needed here. If we qualify, we want to give ourselves the best possible chance of competing. Swallowing our pride may be necessary.

Currently we really struggle to put out a quality 11. As much as it would pain most of us to ask, we can't really be turning our noses up at players the calibre of Brown, A.McGregor, S.Fletcher, Snodgrass et al if they are willing. 

Even just to get their experience in the dressing room would be beneficial, if not to start them. I'd even get D.Fletcher in as a coach. 

That’s the worst post on here, you’ve managed to beat dark knight, bonny and a few more. 

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

Give me strength.

Yes there are slots that can be changed but not for people that have left us in the lurch by continually pulling out of squads or who have retired.

Brown has NO RIGHT to be considered as he has retired from international football. Same goes for McGregor and Snodgrass and anyone else who has retired.

Yes, no one has a right to be chosen for any squad. My point is that if he is making himself available then he shouldn't be automatically discounted from selection due to his retirement. Clarke should make the decision based on who is willing. 

As I said earlier, only 16 players in Scottish history have more caps, so saying he hasn't shown commitment in the past simply isn't true. 

I do think it would be more fair if he made himself available for the playoffs first. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't pick him.

3 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Yes, no one has a right to be chosen for any squad. My point is that if he is making himself available then he shouldn't be automatically discounted from selection due to his retirement. Clarke should make the decision based on who is willing. 

As I said earlier, only 16 players in Scottish history have more caps, so saying he hasn't shown commitment in the past simply isn't true. 

I do think it would be more fair if he made himself available for the playoffs first. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't pick him.

Brown isn't willing though, he is willing to play in a finals but not the hard work, the criticism and embarrassment running up it. It would be more fair if he was available for the group games. 

If we got to the finals and that is a big if, there is no way Brown should be considered or any of the other players who chose not to play for there country again. I think we can all agree that midfield is our strongest department now. His choice to retire not once but twice.

16 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Brown isn't willing though, he is willing to play in a finals but not the hard work, the criticism and embarrassment running up it. It would be more fair if he was available for the group games. 

Agreed. It would definitely be fairer, and I was just as gutted as everyone else when he retired. As I said earlier, an element of swallowing our pride may be needed. 

Anyway, that'll be Clarke's decision, and I seriously doubt he'd turn him away if he did come out of retirement.

4 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Agreed. It would definitely be fairer, and I was just as gutted as everyone else when he retired. As I said earlier, an element of swallowing our pride may be needed. 

Anyway, that'll be Clarke's decision, and I seriously doubt he'd turn him away if he did come out of retirement.

I wasn't gutted when Brown retired, I used to like him but retiring as one of our captains with just over 50 caps is poor for a player of his talent

4 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

So, we swallow ours because Brown has none? 😒

Guest ElChris04

As a Celtic supporter and a massive fan of browns, my stance on it is this.

- I’m glad brown spoke up about the Scotland match Fixtures, and that the SFA Need to help Scotland out with changing games or postpone them to give scotland the best chance possible with some our best players having a rest such as Forrest,Christie,McGregor Etc, it shows as a ex captain he does care. 

- as for him coming out of retirement again for the Euro 2020, it would be unfair on any of the other boys who have turned up to drop one to accommodate brown, again depending on circumstances If a player was to get injured or we lose a vital player to injury then that’s when I would consider brown in taking another player’s place.

- if we do qualify I would like to see brown at Euro 2020, but in another capacity, i would love if Clarke offered him some sort of coach role to help around training and pre match talks. His leadership is there for all to say and is infectious and could really help us. But like I said I wouldn’t want him taking another players position who have done the dirty work unless we where in a Injury crisis. But would happily see him at the euros working with Clarke in some other coach capacity. IF we get there. 

35 minutes ago, ElChris04 said:

- I’m glad brown spoke up about the Scotland match Fixtures, and that the SFA Need to help Scotland out with changing games or postpone them to give scotland the best chance possible with some our best players having a rest such as Forrest,Christie,McGregor Etc, it shows as a ex captain he does care. 

- as for him coming out of retirement again for the Euro 2020, it would be unfair on any of the other boys who have turned up to drop one to accommodate brown, again depending on circumstances If a player was to get injured or we lose a vital player to injury then that’s when I would consider brown in taking another player’s place.

- if we do qualify I would like to see brown at Euro 2020, but in another capacity, i would love if Clarke offered him some sort of coach role to help around training and pre match talks. His leadership is there for all to say and is infectious and could really help us. But like I said I wouldn’t want him taking another players position who have done the dirty work unless we where in a Injury crisis. But would happily see him at the euros working with Clarke in some other coach capacity. IF we get there. 

That seems fairly reasonable. Darren Fletcher could indeed also be worth taking as part of a sort of support staff, same as Faddy and Kenny Miller. But I would only want that if it was the desire of Clarke, rather than out of some sentimental 'these guys served us well back when we couldn't qualify'. If there is a role for them, that's up to Clarke. 

I see Gerrard has also gotten behind the idea, in so many words, of delaying fixtures. Good on him anawl. 

Guest ElChris04
21 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

That seems fairly reasonable. Darren Fletcher could indeed also be worth taking as part of a sort of support staff, same as Faddy and Kenny Miller. But I would only want that if it was the desire of Clarke, rather than out of some sentimental 'these guys served us well back when we couldn't qualify'. If there is a role for them, that's up to Clarke. 

I see Gerrard has also gotten behind the idea, in so many words, of delaying fixtures. Good on him anawl. 

Yeah think it’s a very decent idea but aye, pretty much with agree with that settlement with wanting to see brown only at Clarke’s wish mate! 

1 hour ago, ElChris04 said:

I think this is probably the most reasonable compromise. As you said, he's well renowned for being a leader in the dressing room and training ground. 

It wouldn't be fair to have him in the first 11 ahead of the guys that got us there. But that will be Clarke's decision to make. And if he is still the best option, then I wouldn't judge the manager for picking him.

An injury crisis would be a very good justification for Clarke to approach the old guard, and I think even the most reluctant on here would concede that we should go to Brown, and others, in an emergency.

Guest ElChris04
25 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

I think this is probably the most reasonable compromise. As you said, he's well renowned for being a leader in the dressing room and training ground. 

It wouldn't be fair to have him in the first 11 ahead of the guys that got us there. But that will be Clarke's decision to make. And if he is still the best option, then I wouldn't judge the manager for picking him.

An injury crisis would be a very good justification for Clarke to approach the old guard, and I think even the most reluctant on here would concede that we should go to Brown, and others, in an emergency.

Cheers, but Aye exactly that mate 

So now some are compromising to some how fit scott brown into the equation as part of the coaching staff. Wow

There is no compromise, he retired and has zero coaching credentials. 

I would absolutely judge clarke if he went back and asked brown to come into the squad as a player, he would lose the respect of other player who have worked hard to get us there if we do get there 

Brown ended his association with scotland on his own. If he becomes a manager or coach then the door may open again but that's not the case.