Your Ideal Team For The Playoffs? - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Your Ideal Team For The Playoffs?

Guest ElChris04

47 minutes ago, ElChris04 said:

Maybe because it’s the normal thing to do? Like Tierney,Robertson,McTominay who have all clarified they reason behind there Injury or why they couldn’t play.

if he plays at the weekend for Bournemouth and has yet to clarify why he was injured then it will look even worse. Also not disputing or putting him down as he’s a good wee player, but so is Forrest. Stats are unfair on him due to his inconsistency when he was still getting picked under Strachan when he wasn’t for Celtic when Delia was in and really short in confidence. He’s a different player now and for me a bigger game player than Fraser ever will be. As proven against Israel when he stepped up when others didn’t. 

You're slating fraser but youd allow tierney to waltz into the team. 

Sounds logical 

Guest ElChris04
16 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

You're slating fraser but youd allow tierney to waltz into the team. 

Sounds logical 

Here’s the link with Tierney detailing exactly why he couldn’t play and for Scotland and how he’s building up for March  - https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/kieran-tierney-explains-scotland-absence-20831146

James Forrest ( one of Scotland’s most dedicated players who never pulls out and is close mates with KT himself and explains how gutted Tierney has been with not playing for Scotland.  https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/18034888.james-forrest-defends-former-celtic-teammate-kieran-tierney-arsenal-pull-plug-scotland-call/

still waiting on that explanation from Fraser? or something from his teammates to let us fans know he actually does care... think signs are pointing to the obvious here mate. Sounds very logical to me the difference.

3 hours ago, ElChris04 said:

Basically as the title suggests. What would your ideal team be for the playoffs? I know there’s already been some discussion with it Which I’ve also participated in, but feel it would be better if it was kept in the one thread to keep the discussion going. 

we’ve been without Robertson,Fraser,Tierney,Griffiths,Cooper,Souttar,Phillips,McTominay,Bain the last set of games and of course some even beyond that. 

then there’s been discussion off what players from our youth would we hopefully see called up based on performances and so on such as Billy Gilmour, Mikey Johnston, Fraser Hornby Etc 

taking all that into consideration along with it being 4 months away my ideal play off team is this. 

McGregor ( Bain if we Fail to convince him out of retirement)

Tierney-Souttar-Cooper-Robertson

McGinn(c)-McTominay-McGregor

Christie-Griffiths-Forrest

Taking into consideration form, Fraser still wouldn’t get ahead of Forrest personally I would have Forest over him for the simple reason of reliability alone let alone form, Not been the first time Fraser has picked and choose when he plays for Scotland and I’d much rather pick a same level quality Player who’s showed more passion for Scotland than many, add to the fact working with some of his fellow club men aswell increases the level of knowledge between them when attacking.

take the armband off Robertson and put it on McGinn, some say this is harsh I look at it as helping a player out due to his position and how much it’s hampered him playing with a rotten defence. The captaincy has done more harm than good for Robbo and I feel this is a step needed to get him back to his best. 

next is Allan McGregor, I hope and pray he comes out of retirement And clarke convinces him to do so. Our best keeper by miles. Constant incredible displays for rangers in europe and in the league. No one comes close, his last ditch save to seal the play offs summed him up. There isn’t a keeper cable of pulling that off. He was our best player behind Forrest that campaign. 

And of course Griffiths up front and like McGregor in his position he’s our best by far. 

hopefully Soutter and Cooper will be fit and ready as both are our best CB’s. Then Tierney at right back where he’s more than capable of playing. 

so that would my ideal play off team where in my opinion we would stand the best chance of qualifying. 

Bain hahahahha

Cooper? Nah

Griffiths won't be getting games for Celtic and Tierney won't play RB.

There's my predictions.

Edited by Squirrelhumper

41 minutes ago, ElChris04 said:

Here’s the link with Tierney detailing exactly why he couldn’t play and for Scotland and how he’s building up for March  - https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/kieran-tierney-explains-scotland-absence-20831146

James Forrest ( one of Scotland’s most dedicated players who never pulls out and is close mates with KT himself and explains how gutted Tierney has been with not playing for Scotland.  https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/18034888.james-forrest-defends-former-celtic-teammate-kieran-tierney-arsenal-pull-plug-scotland-call/

still waiting on that explanation from Fraser? or something from his teammates to let us fans know he actually does care... think signs are pointing to the obvious here mate. Sounds very logical to me the difference.

The difference between is you believe what tierney said. I dont.

James Forrest is one of scotlands most dedicated? Really? Did you watch his first 25 caps, he was a waste of shirt. The james Forrest seen at celtic turned up for two matches in the nations league and then put in a decent shift in the last two qualifiers.

Fraser has a knee injury, a quick search online and I found it. Not saying I believe him either but its interesting you believe the celtic players. You're starting to rival pasta mick 😳😂😂😂

Edited by vanderark14

2 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

I think if you check out % Call offs Fraser would win by a mile

Check it then and give us some facts before just posting things that you 'think are correct. I know for a fact Fraser has been more productive in a shorter spell with the national team. I also know for a fact he is performing and excelling at a far higher level. I also know for a fact he has also only made himself unavailable for one match on a plastic pitch in Kazakhstan the reasons for which he explained, he played against San Marino a few days later. He has only pulled out of one squad altogether for a competitive game, the most recent double header, through injury. 

Fraser isn't a sick note. This has only grown arms and legs because he refused to play on a plastic pitch in Kazakhstan. Whether you agree with that or not is irrelevant, it is one game. And doesn't take away from what he has contributed in other games he has played for us, which going by the stats is a lot for a poor team. 

Also if anyone is digging up anymore stats I would be very interested to know how many squads Fraser has been involved in but not even stripped, going back to Strachans time. He has had a raw deal at times when it comes to minutes on the pitch for us when he has been in squads. He is a quality player and especially during Strachan time he was far too slow to involve him in our team

Guest ElChris04
28 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

The difference between is you believe what tierney said. I dont.

James Forrest is one of scotlands most dedicated? Really? Did you watch his first 25 caps, he was a waste of shirt. The james Forrest seen at celtic turned up for two matches in the nations league and then put in a decent shift in the last two qualifiers.

Fraser has a knee injury, a quick search online and I found it. Not saying I believe him either but its interesting you believe the celtic players. You're starting to rival pasta mick 😳😂😂😂

Re read what I said with Forrest the first time giving you’ve chose to ignore it. 

If you could please link, it would be appreciated giving all I seen was articles of him saying he was “unhappy” at bournemouth. If he has spoken out on why he missed the games then I’ll retract what he said.

ahh that old chestnut, because I support Celtic I’m biased on what they say, sorry that majority of our best players are current or ex celtic players, maybe if more Scottish clubs started developing more scottish youth it would probably help... and finally I was firmly on questioning tierney on his commitment until he spoke out.. but whatever floats your boat.

1 minute ago, ElChris04 said:

Re read what I said with Forrest the first time giving you’ve chose to ignore it. 

If you could please link, it would be appreciated giving all I seen was articles of him saying he was “unhappy” at bournemouth. If he has spoken out on why he missed the games then I’ll retract what he said.

ahh that old chestnut, because I support Celtic I’m biased on what they say, sorry that majority of our best players are current or ex celtic players, maybe if more Scottish clubs started developing more scottish youth it would probably help... and finally I was firmly on questioning tierney on his commitment until he spoke out.. but whatever floats your boat.

You are 100 percent showing bias towards ex celtic players especially. Putting Tierney in your team but omitting Fraser on the grounds he pulled out a squad.. Sorry that just completely contradicts things. It does seem like green tinted specs when it comes to Tierney. Tierney has to have the worst records in recent times for pulling out of squads although he has had a bad time of it with injuries. 

Btw I also do believe and understand Tierneys reasoning for pulling out, and if it means he'll make the play off by pulling out the last squad I'm happy with that but same goes for Fraser.. 

Guest ElChris04
4 minutes ago, bazmidd said:

You are 100 percent showing bias towards ex celtic players especially. Putting Tierney in your team but omitting Fraser on the grounds he pulled out a squad.. Sorry that just completely contradicts things. It does seem like green tinted specs when it comes to Tierney. Tierney has to have the worst records in recent times for pulling out of squads although he has had a bad time of it with injuries. 

Btw I also do believe and understand Tierneys reasoning for pulling out, and if it means he'll make the play off by pulling out the last squad I'm happy with that but same goes for Fraser.. 

I would be dropping Fraser on the grounds Forrest hasn’t warranted anything to be dropped. If Forrest was a rangers or any other player I would be saying the same thing with his commitment to Scotland. Saying I have a bias on the fact as I said previously our Majority of our best players are current or ex Celtic players is completely unfair. 

And like I said, if Fraser has spoken out on why he missed the 2 games there and I have missed the interview then good stuff, why on earth would I not want one of our best players in the 23 man squad? Just doesn’t make sense, we need absolutely everything for a best chance of qualifying. 

4 minutes ago, ElChris04 said:

I would be dropping Fraser on the grounds Forrest hasn’t warranted anything to be dropped. If Forrest was a rangers or any other player I would be saying the same thing with his commitment to Scotland. Saying I have a bias on the fact as I said previously our Majority of our best players are current or ex Celtic players is completely unfair. 

And like I said, if Fraser has spoken out on why he missed the 2 games there and I have missed the interview then good stuff, why on earth would I not want one of our best players in the 23 man squad? Just doesn’t make sense, we need absolutely everything for a best chance of qualifying. 

Am I not right in saying Forrest hasn't registered a goal or an assist since the Nations League? 

14 minutes ago, ElChris04 said:

I dont need to link anything, you're welcome to search for the article I found re fraser which states his recurring knee injury is his problem

Yes that old chestnut, you've even admitted to being bias towards celtic when it comes to scotland.

I read what you wrote about forrest, I didn't ignore anything. I just disagree with you. Forrest may or may not be on the same level of fraser but I dont think forrest turns it on with scotland the same.way he does at Celtic. I cant really see Any argument against that 

I'm not sure why you chose an interview from forrest about his pal tierney. Did you think Forrest would say "Kieran is a dick, he never turns up, he should be picked again"

Every football with few exceptions blurts out whatever will raise the least headlines.

4 hours ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

Assuming everyone is fit and in decent form, pretty much the team which started the last 2 games. I would probably play Roberston or Tierney over Taylor as I don't think Taylor will be getting much game time at Celtic unless there is a LB injury crisis. It appears Robertson may miss this weekends game so there might be some humble pie being served.

McTominay is the hard one but I really think we need a Jack like player in there who snaps about the place. And the closest we have to that at the moment is Ryan Jack. None of McTominay, McGregor or McGinn are defensively minded. Its not Jack's natural role either but going with the first 3 just asks our already shaky defence to be attacked at will. Therefore I wouldn't be for dropping Jack.

I don’t think there was ever any doubt that Robertson was injured. He met up with the squad but didn’t travel to Cyprus.

I don’t think it’s a serious injury but if he’s injured he can’t play. Simple as that. 

3 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

Forrest’s stats are massively skewed by the short lived scoring spree he had in the nations league.

A good player for Celtic, but absolutely anonymous in 20+ of his 26 Scotland appearances.

I thought he did pretty well in the second half against Cyprus and for most of the game on Tuesday.  

I’m not certain about playing him on the left though. 

3 hours ago, ElChris04 said:

Maybe because it’s the normal thing to do? Like Tierney,Robertson,McTominay who have all clarified they reason behind there Injury or why they couldn’t play.

if he plays at the weekend for Bournemouth and has yet to clarify why he was injured then it will look even worse. Also not disputing or putting him down as he’s a good wee player, but so is Forrest. Stats are unfair on him due to his inconsistency when he was still getting picked under Strachan when he wasn’t for Celtic when Delia was in and really short in confidence. He’s a different player now and for me a bigger game player than Fraser ever will be. As proven against Israel when he stepped up when others didn’t. 

Fraser withdrew from the squad due to a minor knee injury. What further information are you looking for?

3 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

As we all know, so much can change in 4 months. It's hard to know the trajectory of certain players and if we will be lucky with injuries. 

McKenna, for example, may regress and not fulfil his promise. Where as Souttar and Hanley may have had an impressive run of form and force themselves into reckoning. Also, if Naismith is banging them in for Hearts and Griffiths is still not playing, I'd start him ahead of any other striker. So, fingers crossed: 

Marshall

Tierney  McKenna Mulgrew Robertson

McTominay McGregor

Christie         McGinn         Fraser

Griffiths

I doubt anyone is coming out of retirment for these games, but if we qualified, I think everyone should be given the opportunity to change their mind. We want the best 11 players to compete in the Euros, so I don't care about pride.

In that scenario, swap S. Brown for C.McGregor,  and swap A.McGregor for Marshall

Absolutely not.

The players that get us to a major championship are the players that should play there. 

Any glory hunters that try to come out of international retirement if we qualify should be told to fuck off immediately  

1 hour ago, bazmidd said:

Check it then and give us some facts before just posting things that you 'think are correct. I know for a fact Fraser has been more productive in a shorter spell with the national team. I also know for a fact he is performing and excelling at a far higher level. I also know for a fact he has also only made himself unavailable for one match on a plastic pitch in Kazakhstan the reasons for which he explained, he played against San Marino a few days later. He has only pulled out of one squad altogether for a competitive game, the most recent double header, through injury. 

Fraser isn't a sick note. This has only grown arms and legs because he refused to play on a plastic pitch in Kazakhstan. Whether you agree with that or not is irrelevant, it is one game. And doesn't take away from what he has contributed in other games he has played for us, which going by the stats is a lot for a poor team. 

Also if anyone is digging up anymore stats I would be very interested to know how many squads Fraser has been involved in but not even stripped, going back to Strachans time. He has had a raw deal at times when it comes to minutes on the pitch for us when he has been in squads. He is a quality player and especially during Strachan time he was far too slow to involve him in our team

Well he didn't play against Kazakhstan and pulled out of the squad in Israel, so he was missing for our two worst ever performances, maybe he should start.

11 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Even McTominay who was stretchered off last weekend? 

He is one of the lame, so aye. Put him on the bench and lets see what he can do if required during the game. He is a fantastic prospect and he is doing some great stuff at ManU, but he hasn't yet shown that form in a Scotland strip so he is not a huge loss. If he was a stalwart with 40 to 50 caps that we had come to rely on over the years, then fair enough, get him straight back in the team. But we don't have any players like that. He is still just at the start of his career. 

1 minute ago, Orraloon said:

He is one of the lame, so aye. Put him on the bench and lets see what he can do if required during the game. He is a fantastic prospect and he is doing some great stuff at ManU, but he hasn't yet shown that form in a Scotland strip so he is not a huge loss. If he was a stalwart with 40 to 50 caps that we had come to rely on over the years, then fair enough, get him straight back in the team. But we don't have any players like that. He is still just at the start of his career. 

That’s all fine and well but it’s a bit simplistic is it not?

Clarke has to pick players that are in form in March next year. If he simply picks the same team that beat 2 fairly poor sides 4 months earlier then he’s not doing his job properly.