Your Ideal Team For The Playoffs? - Page 12 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Your Ideal Team For The Playoffs?

Guest ElChris04

1 hour ago, bigfingers said:

Mcburnie has only scored 4 goals for Sheff united though... 

Any player banging them in at any league is in contention. That's where we are at as a nation I'm afraid. 

For teams who have to scrap for every win or draw, like Sheffield United and Scotland, it comes down to far more than scoring goals, when selecting a striker. It comes down to all round game. 

Celtic may have the luxury on choosing between strikers on whether they can bang in 15 goals a season or 30 goals a season, but unfortunately for Scotland, our striker needs to be chosen on what they offer as a whole. Steve Clarke will have to decide on who offers the most up front, but personally I think there’s a reason why McBurnie is a £20 million player at the top end of the English Premiership, and Griffiths isn’t.

Pretty much bang on TDK. McBurnie and Griffiths in combination would be hugely more effective than either alone. and it wouldn't leave a hole in midfield cos out of possession McBurnie works his nads off closing down in midfield. Also to avoid confusion Fleck is left footed, he seems to be placed on the right a fair number of times upthread.

1 minute ago, Paulus said:

Pretty much bang on TDK. McBurnie and Griffiths in combination would be hugely more effective than either alone. and it wouldn't leave a hole in midfield cos out of possession McBurnie works his nads off closing down in midfield. Also to avoid confusion Fleck is left footed, he seems to be placed on the right a fair number of times upthread.

100% spot on.

Also, it's time to stop fooling ourselves that we have top midfielders. We don't. They are decent. They're good at passing between 5-15 yards, which is why we should play a compact three in midfield.

10 hours ago, bigfingers said:

Mcburnie has only scored 4 goals for Sheff united though... 

Any player banging them in at any league is in contention. That's where we are at as a nation I'm afraid. 

My 12year old son was playing for his boys club yesterday... His wee mate played up front and scored a hat trick, should he be in contention? 

13 hours ago, dohadeer said:

For teams who have to scrap for every win or draw, like Sheffield United and Scotland, it comes down to far more than scoring goals, when selecting a striker. It comes down to all round game. 

Celtic may have the luxury on choosing between strikers on whether they can bang in 15 goals a season or 30 goals a season, but unfortunately for Scotland, our striker needs to be chosen on what they offer as a whole. Steve Clarke will have to decide on who offers the most up front, but personally I think there’s a reason why McBurnie is a £20 million player at the top end of the English Premiership, and Griffiths isn’t.

McBurnie is poor, a dickhead and not passionate about Scotland.

Griffiths is a goal machine proven over around a 10 year period & also has more flair than any striker we’ve had in god knows how long.

If he’s fit & playing (both of which he is right now) then it would be madness not to start him. 

22 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

McBurnie is poor, a dickhead and not passionate about Scotland.

Griffiths is a goal machine proven over around a 10 year period & also has more flair than any striker we’ve had in god knows how long.

If he’s fit & playing (both of which he is right now) then it would be madness not to start him. 

Do we know if griffiths is passionate about scotland? Some might ir maybe most would say griffiths is also a dickhead.

19 hours ago, dohadeer said:

Seriously?

I mean, I don’t know enough about either of them to make a big judgement, but I’d assume that there’s a reason one of them plays near the top of the English Premiership.

I don’t tend to think that banging in goals for either of the Old Firm proves much either way about your credentials as an international footballer.

You have a lot of opinions for someone  that doesn’t know much about our players. 

Are you even a Scotland supporter? Do you go to Scotland games? 

19 hours ago, TDK said:

First, show some respect! You do realize that other people can have an opinion that differs from yours, don't you?

Also, do you not realize that the best team doesn't necessarily contain the best players?

Do you honestly think you can only play three central defenders if you have top quality center backs? 

Sheffield United play 3-5-2 and they have the second best defensive record in English football this season. Do Sheffield United have world class center backs?: Basham, Egan, O'Connell? Would any of those three get into the Tottenham/Manchester United/Arsenal first XI? Are any of those nine what you'd call "top defenders"? Barcelona and Real Madrid aren't going to bid on those players any time soon. On current transfer market value, those three have a combined price tag of £20.5m. Virgil Van Dijk alone, is worth £92.7m.

Sheffield United are in 5th position in the EPL. With the second best defensive record in the EPL. Above the likes of Manchester United (biggest club in the world, by the way), Arsenal, Tottenham, etc. Wolves, too, play with a variant of a 3. They are in 7th. Newcastle were looking in trouble, and destined for the drop, before Bruce decided to scrap a back four and replicate the Rafa Benitez template of 3, now they're 12th and pretty much safe.

And you say that we have to play 5 in midfield? (I'm going to ignore the fact that 3-5-2 IS having 5 in midfield) 4-2-3-1 isn't 5 in midfield. Technically, it's zero in midfield. Anchormen aren't midfielders, nor are wingers and a number 10.

A 3-5-2 would give us 2 box to box midfielders and an anchorman in the middle. 

This obsession with 4-2-3-1 has brought us nothing with grief. We cannot play with four at the back. We simply do not have the central defenders for it. Therefore, it's a case of strength in numbers. 3 is harder to break down than 2. Our strongest position is in midfield, so why do people want to play two anchormen, two wingers and a number 10? We don't have the luxury of players with wingers and a number 10 and pretty much emptying the midfield.

Also, Kwhitelaw is absolutely correct when he talks about the striking position. Since we've played with a sole striker all they seem to do is run around like a headless chicken, as they are given nothing but aimless long balls to catch. A second striker would lighten to load on our sole striker. Plus, playing two strikers would engage and occupy two opposing center backs, as opposed to just one,

Christ, he’s arguing with himself again. 😂

51 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Christ, he’s arguing with himself again. 😂

Dude, don't you think it's possible for more than one person to be literate, in Scotland? And do you think it possible for more than one of those people to register here?

I think you take the Texas/Cowboy thing a weeeeeeeeeeeee bit too far. Next thing you'll be challenging me to a duel at the Ponderosa. ;)

You act like you're the governor here. Wrong.

You can say what you want, mate. I take it as a backhanded compliment. So, please, keep it up. :wub:

12 minutes ago, TDK said:

Dude, don't you think it's possible for more than one person to be literate, in Scotland? And do you think it possible for more than one of those people to register here?

I think you take the Texas/Cowboy thing a weeeeeeeeeeeee bit too far. Next thing you'll be challenging me to a duel at the Ponderosa. ;)

You act like you're the governor here. Wrong.

You can say what you want, mate. I take it as a backhanded compliment. So, please, keep it up. :wub:

Weren’t you banned from here? Again? Why do you keep coming back?

I certainly don’t think I’m any sort of governor. I just laugh at people that argue with themselves.

Either that or you were pretending to be Dohadeer a few months ago just before you were banned.

Either way you’re not right in the head.

Are you going to apologise to Dohadeer for framing him? Or are you just going to give him a dressing down as if you were some sort of, I don’t know, governor?

Just now, Texas Pete said:

Weren’t you banned from here? Again? Why do you keep coming back?

I certainly don’t think I’m any sort of governor. I just laugh at people that argue with themselves.

Either that or you were pretending to be Dohadeer a few months ago just before you were banned.

Either way you’re not right in the head.

Are you going to apologise to Dohadeer for framing him? Or are you just going to give him a dressing down as if you were some sort of, I don’t know, governor?

I'm sure that I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, Hoss.

If you think I'm Dohadeer or this poster or that poster, it actually doesn't register with me. But if you wish to continue with your paranoid fantasy, go ahead. I just find it pathetic that you have to engineer drama.

If you're unable to accept the fact that two people can be well versed at writing, that's on you.

As I said, though, continue with it at your leisure. It seems to be winding up Dohadeer... I mean... Me... So by all means, keep it up. :)

10 minutes ago, TDK said:

I'm sure that I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, Hoss.

If you think I'm Dohadeer or this poster or that poster, it actually doesn't register with me. But if you wish to continue with your paranoid fantasy, go ahead. I just find it pathetic that you have to engineer drama.

If you're unable to accept the fact that two people can be well versed at writing, that's on you.

As I said, though, continue with it at your leisure. It seems to be winding up Dohadeer... I mean... Me... So by all means, keep it up. :)

I can show you if you like?

Just now, Texas Pete said:

I can show you if you like?

What, you mean.. Flash me?

Dude, I don't swing that way.

Hoss, this is a well-trodden road you're going down. You should know by now that no amount of bullying can effect me, no matter the numbers that go against me. So, if I were you I'd walk away with your spurs in your wake.

Also, if Doahadeer really was me I think you'd know. He might be a smug a-hole, but compared to me he's an amateur.

So, what you were you saying about Dohadeer being me? ;)

17 minutes ago, TDK said:

What, you mean.. Flash me?

Dude, I don't swing that way.

Hoss, this is a well-trodden road you're going down. You should know by now that no amount of bullying can effect me, no matter the numbers that go against me. So, if I were you I'd walk away with your spurs in your wake.

Also, if Doahadeer really was me I think you'd know. He might be a smug a-hole, but compared to me he's an amateur.

So, what you were you saying about Dohadeer being me? ;)

Nobody is bullying you. You are just disliked because you have multiple accounts and you’re rude and arrogant. That’s different from bullying. 

You are either Dohadeer, which is psycho material, or you tried to frame him for being you in November which isn’t much better. I am willing to believe Dohadeer when he says he’s not you so that means you tried to frame him. 

Are you going to apologise to him instead of having a go at him for doing the exact same things that you do (and were banned for at least twice) on here?

6 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Nobody is bullying you. You are just disliked because you have multiple accounts and you’re rude and arrogant. That’s different from bullying. 

You are either Dohadeer, which is psycho material, or you tried to frame him for being you in November which isn’t much better. I am willing to believe Dohadeer when he says he’s not you so that means you tried to frame him. 

Are you going to apologise to him instead of having a go at him for doing the exact same things that you do (and were banned for at least twice) on here?

No. You're trying to bully me. That's the thing with Hyena, pack mentally, it's best to go for the weaker ones. That's your mistake.

Nothing but conjecture, You have no proof. You think Dohadeer is me. You're clutching at straws.

Again, I have no idea what you're talking about, Hoss

All I can see that you (and others) have accused him of being someone else. So, now you believe him? Are you going to apologize to him then?

Are you going to apologize to me for offering to flash me?

1 hour ago, The_Batman79 said:

Oops. I think i was banned again, for "bawbaggery"

Not a word.

Oh, Hoss, here's a saying that you'll like "When you're throwin' your weight around, be ready to have it thrown around by somebody else."

I'll be back. :)

Go away you sad little man.