Your Ideal Team For The Playoffs? - Page 11 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Your Ideal Team For The Playoffs?

Guest ElChris04

8 minutes ago, jamboman said:

I know im going to get pelters for this, but for isreal i think a 3-5-2 would be good since they also play that way. I dont think mcginn will be fit btw to start anyway but should be in the squad

Marshall

McKenna, Coopers, Gallagher

Forrest Mctominey Jack Christie Robertson

Naismith griffiths. 

Naismith likes coming deep to link play and only reason id play mctominey over fleck is because his height is useful and he is more defensive

I recall robertson slating Mcleish when he played 3 at the back against israel away. Pretty sure he said he didn't really know how to play that position it put both our 2 best right backs (Tierney and robertson) out of position. 

24 minutes ago, jamboman said:

I know im going to get pelters for this, but for isreal i think a 3-5-2 would be good since they also play that way. I dont think mcginn will be fit btw to start anyway but should be in the squad

Marshall

McKenna, Coopers, Gallagher

Forrest Mctominey Jack Christie Robertson

Naismith griffiths. 

Naismith likes coming deep to link play and only reason id play mctominey over fleck is because his height is useful and he is more defensive

That line up is frightening(ly bad).

Where to start......

1. We don’t have one decent centre back, never mind three. Why play a formation where we have to find three of them?

2. James Forrest is never a wing back. This is international football. Not Celtic versus a lower-level Scottish team.

3. Where are Armstrong, Fleck, Fraser, McBurnie, McGinn and McGregor? Why would we play with a formation/line-up that includes so few of our best players? We should have at least four of those players in our team, if not all six of them. Your line-up has none of them! Unbelievable.

17 minutes ago, Clyde1998 said:

I think at the moment I'd go with:

Marshall

Palmer - McKenna (Gallagher) - Cooper - Robertson

Fleck - McGregor (Jack/McTomiany)

Fraser - McGinn - Christie (Forrest)

McBurnie (Naismith)

Players in brackets could start depending on form going in.

No Griffiths? 

7 minutes ago, bigfingers said:

No Griffiths? 

If he's fit and ready, then I'd take Griffiths back - yeah. He's looked good since the winter break and got a few goals. Just taking a look, I hadn't realise he's started every Celtic game since the winter break.

He did decide not to feature in the last round of games, presumably focusing on getting back regularly. With what he offers in his all round game compared to our other options and his quality in front of goal, if he's ready to play for us again I'd start with him.

Just now, Clyde1998 said:

If he's fit and ready, then I'd take Griffiths back - yeah. He's looked good since the winter break and got a few goals. Just taking a look, I hadn't realise he's started every Celtic game since the winter break.

He did decide not to feature in the last round of games, presumably focusing on getting back regularly. With what he offers in his all round game compared to our other options and his quality in front of goal, if he's ready to play for us again I'd start with him.

Think it was clarkes decision not to pick him last time around. 

Hanley looking not too bad against Liverpool. Our only centre defender playing at that level. 

40 minutes ago, Clyde1998 said:

I think at the moment I'd go with:

Marshall

Palmer - McKenna (Gallagher) - Cooper - Robertson

Fleck - McGregor (Jack/McTomiany)

Fraser - McGinn - Christie (Forrest)

McBurnie (Naismith)

Players in brackets could start depending on form going in.

That’s pretty much the team I’d go with as well, except with Armstrong instead of Christie.

(I don’t really know much about our centre backs and who is better than who. I’d maybe lean towards Hanley and Cooper due to the level they play at, but there are no outstanding candidates for those two positions.)

18 minutes ago, bigfingers said:

Tierney and mctominay both back in training so here's my team atm. 

Marshall

Tierney - McKenna Hanley - robbo 

Mctominay - McGregor

forrest - McGinn - Christie 

Griffiths

I’m going to take a wild guess and say that you’re a Celtic fan?!

8 minutes ago, dohadeer said:

I’m going to take a wild guess and say that you’re a Celtic fan?!

Haha nope but I have watched celtic recently and Griffiths is looking good. Link up play and finishing. 

Europa games are coming up. The old firm performing well in those can only be good for us. 

Edited by bigfingers

9 minutes ago, bigfingers said:

Haha nope but I have watched celtic recently and Griffiths is looking good. Link up play and finishing. 

Europa games are coming up. The old firm performing well in those can only be good for us. 

It wasn’t just Griffiths, but the fact that you had Christie, Forrest, McGregor and Tierney in there as well.

A lot of borderline decisions, and you’ve gone with those with the most Celtic connections in every instance. I personally would put English Premiership form ahead of Scottish Premiership form in terms of credentials. Armstrong, Fleck, Fraser and McBurnie all play for teams currently on form in the English Premiership.

Also, Tierney at right back is probably not a necessary risk, since Palmer has performed ok there.

3 minutes ago, dohadeer said:

It wasn’t just Griffiths, but the fact that you had Christie, Forrest, McGregor and Tierney in there as well.

A lot of borderline decisions, and you’ve gone with those with the most Celtic connections in every instance. I personally would put English Premiership form ahead of Scottish Premiership form in terms of credentials. Armstrong, Fleck, Fraser and McBurnie all play for teams currently on form in the English Premiership.

Also, Tierney at right back is probably not a necessary risk, since Palmer has performed ok there.

Maybe you are being slightly biased towards the EPL. 

There's no way Mcburnie should be ahead of an in form Griffiths. 

I'll take your point on palmer he's made that position his in own the last few games. 

Bournemouth and fraser haven't been particularly good this season. 

Can some one explain Ryan Jack to me. As far as I can see his a very average player, a bit of a poor mans James McArthur.

Why do people put Ryan Fraser on the right when he plays on the left? Is it just to get rid of Forrest?

For what it's worth

Kelly

Tierney/Palmer              Cooper      Hanley                   Robertson

McTominay                        McGregor 

Christie                                                          Fleck                                                  McGinn  /McLean                            

McBurnie

Not a fan of Griffiths even when he was scoring for fun in the SPL he wasn't for us or for Celtic in Europe there is no sign that he is as good now as he was then . Neither him nor Naismith offer anything in defence which McBurnie does

McGinn and Tierney in if fit Mctominay in even if he isn't.

Taking a chance with Kelly but Marshall either plays well or doesn't these days, Kelly's bad games are better than Marshall's even if his good games aren't as good would prefer some consistency 

If any one which way round is best to play McGinn and Christie  fair enough they both appear better on the right.

54 minutes ago, bigfingers said:

Maybe you are being slightly biased towards the EPL. 

There's no way Mcburnie should be ahead of an in form Griffiths. 

I'll take your point on palmer he's made that position his in own the last few games. 

Bournemouth and fraser haven't been particularly good this season. 

Why is there no way McBurnie should be ahead of Griffiths?

30 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Can some one explain Ryan Jack to me. As far as I can see his a very average player, a bit of a poor mans James McArthur.

Why do people put Ryan Fraser on the right when he plays on the left? Is it just to get rid of Forrest?

For what it's worth

Kelly

Tierney/Palmer              Cooper      Hanley                   Robertson

McTominay                        McGregor 

Christie                                                          Fleck                                                  McGinn  /McLean                            

McBurnie

Not a fan of Griffiths even when he was scoring for fun in the SPL he wasn't for us or for Celtic in Europe there is no sign that he is as good now as he was then . Neither him nor Naismith offer anything in defence which McBurnie does

McGinn and Tierney in if fit Mctominay in even if he isn't.

Taking a chance with Kelly but Marshall either plays well or doesn't these days, Kelly's bad games are better than Marshall's even if his good games aren't as good would prefer some consistency 

If any one which way round is best to play McGinn and Christie  fair enough they both appear better on the right.

Pretty decent line-up, but you seem to have selected a lot of very central midfielders, even in wide areas. Do you not think Armstrong or Fraser would work better in a wide position than McGinn or McLean?

9 minutes ago, bigfingers said:

Because I think Griffiths offers more than Mcburnie. 

Seriously?

I mean, I don’t know enough about either of them to make a big judgement, but I’d assume that there’s a reason one of them plays near the top of the English Premiership.

I don’t tend to think that banging in goals for either of the Old Firm proves much either way about your credentials as an international footballer.

6 hours ago, dohadeer said:

Where to start......

1. We don’t have one decent centre back, never mind three. Why play a formation where we have to find three of them?

2. James Forrest is never a wing back. This is international football. Not Celtic versus a lower-level Scottish team.

3. Where are Armstrong, Fleck, Fraser, McBurnie, McGinn and McGregor? Why would we play with a formation/line-up that includes so few of our best players? We should have at least four of those players in our team, if not all six of them. Your line-up has none of them! Unbelievable.

as i predicted... pelters

Just now, jamboman said:

Deservedly though?!

I mean, subconscious alarm bells must have been ringing in your head, if you were thinking even as you wrote it that there was going to be a backlash! You constructed a team that was missing nearly all of our best players.

Just now, dohadeer said:

Seriously?

I mean, I don’t know enough about either of them to make a big judgement, but I’d assume that there’s a reason one of them plays near the top of the English Premiership.

I don’t tend to think that banging in goals for either of the Old Firm proves much either way about your credentials as an international footballer.

Mcburnie has only scored 4 goals for Sheff united though... 

Any player banging them in at any league is in contention. That's where we are at as a nation I'm afraid. 

24 minutes ago, jamboman said:

In fairness, it doesn't really count when the pelters comes from a person who obviously doesn't know a great deal about football.

Your formation is fine, and midfield and strikers are also fine, it's just your defenders that need a tweak.

7 hours ago, dohadeer said:

Where to start......

First, show some respect! You do realize that other people can have an opinion that differs from yours, don't you?

Also, do you not realize that the best team doesn't necessarily contain the best players?

Do you honestly think you can only play three central defenders if you have top quality center backs? 

Sheffield United play 3-5-2 and they have the second best defensive record in English football this season. Do Sheffield United have world class center backs?: Basham, Egan, O'Connell? Would any of those three get into the Tottenham/Manchester United/Arsenal first XI? Are any of those nine what you'd call "top defenders"? Barcelona and Real Madrid aren't going to bid on those players any time soon. On current transfer market value, those three have a combined price tag of £20.5m. Virgil Van Dijk alone, is worth £92.7m.

Sheffield United are in 5th position in the EPL. With the second best defensive record in the EPL. Above the likes of Manchester United (biggest club in the world, by the way), Arsenal, Tottenham, etc. Wolves, too, play with a variant of a 3. They are in 7th. Newcastle were looking in trouble, and destined for the drop, before Bruce decided to scrap a back four and replicate the Rafa Benitez template of 3, now they're 12th and pretty much safe.

And you say that we have to play 5 in midfield? (I'm going to ignore the fact that 3-5-2 IS having 5 in midfield) 4-2-3-1 isn't 5 in midfield. Technically, it's zero in midfield. Anchormen aren't midfielders, nor are wingers and a number 10.

A 3-5-2 would give us 2 box to box midfielders and an anchorman in the middle. 

This obsession with 4-2-3-1 has brought us nothing with grief. We cannot play with four at the back. We simply do not have the central defenders for it. Therefore, it's a case of strength in numbers. 3 is harder to break down than 2. Our strongest position is in midfield, so why do people want to play two anchormen, two wingers and a number 10? We don't have the luxury of players with wingers and a number 10 and pretty much emptying the midfield.

Also, Kwhitelaw is absolutely correct when he talks about the striking position. Since we've played with a sole striker all they seem to do is run around like a headless chicken, as they are given nothing but aimless long balls to catch. A second striker would lighten to load on our sole striker. Plus, playing two strikers would engage and occupy two opposing center backs, as opposed to just one,
Edited by TDK

44 minutes ago, dohadeer said:

Pretty decent line-up, but you seem to have selected a lot of very central midfielders, even in wide areas. Do you not think Armstrong or Fraser would work better in a wide position than McGinn or McLean?

Knew the lack of natural width was a problem but Armstrong is more of a right sided player and I think that Christie edges it based on his  form for Celtic in Europe this season. Perhaps the Celtic supporters on here are more capable of making a comparison.

Fraser to be honest isn't playing nearly as well as last season and even if he was he doesn't fit into my view that we need 10 players that can win the ball and help defend. I wanted to create a team with a lot steel, hence no Forrest or Fraser. Bring them both on after 72 minutes when we are 1-0 down.