Your Ideal Team For The Playoffs? - Page 10 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Your Ideal Team For The Playoffs?

Guest ElChris04

19 hours ago, dohadeer said:

I’m going to hope that I’ve misunderstood your point. If not, I think this one post sums up the problem with a lot of football fans.

You think that some - and I’ll speak for myself here - ‘mug punter’ on a forum might know as much as an international manager?!!

In any field in life, including football, someone with decades and decades of experience, qualifications, and who spends their working week striving towards a particular project, obviously knows more than the random person on the street. 

Even if results don’t work out for Steve Clarke, he is the best placed person in Scotland, who is interested in the job, to be picking the national team.

’Only advantage he has over you or anyone else is contact with the players.’

His 40+ years in football count for nothing then? You don’t think he might have gained just a little bit more knowledge about football than you or me in that time? The hours he spends all week studying our players’ club games, and the opposition, they don’t give him a more informed perspective than you or me?

Come on, have a bit of common sense in what you’re saying!

have you heard John Hughes speak? 😂😂

8 hours ago, Kirk said:

jack although decent will not be a starter

I’m not so sure. Jack did well in the last couple of games and Clarke has mentioned this a few times in interviews. 

A lot will depend on whether McTominay is fit or not but I certainly won’t be surprised if Jack starts against Israel if he’s fit. 

2 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

I’m not so sure. Jack did well in the last couple of games and Clarke has mentioned this a few times in interviews. 

A lot will depend on whether McTominay is fit or not but I certainly won’t be surprised if Jack starts against Israel if he’s fit. 

Who did we play in the last couple of games?

1 minute ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Who did we play in the last couple of games?

vs. Cyprus

Marshall, Palmer, Gallagher, McKenna,Taylor, Christie (Devlin '92), Jack, McGregor, Forrest (Burke '72), McGinn, Naismith (McBurnie '62)

vs. Kazakhstan

Marshall, Palmer, Gallagher, McKenna, Taylor, Jack, McGregor, Christie (Fleck '83), McGinn (Armstrong '92), Forrest, Naismith (Burke '78)

2 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

vs. Cyprus

Marshall, Palmer, Gallagher, McKenna,Taylor, Christie (Devlin '92), Jack, McGregor, Forrest (Burke '72), McGinn, Naismith (McBurnie '62)

vs. Kazakhstan

Marshall, Palmer, Gallagher, McKenna, Taylor, Jack, McGregor, Christie (Fleck '83), McGinn (Armstrong '92), Forrest, Naismith (Burke '78)

I know who we played, it was in response to Texas Pete saying Jack had done well in the last couple of games.

Couple of teams outside of the worlds top 100.

This the standard of manager we have.

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

I know who we played, it was in response to Texas Pete saying Jack had done well in the last couple of games.

Couple of teams outside of the worlds top 100.

This the standard of manager we have.

I think Clarke will go with Jack not because he has more natural talent than McTominay but I thought himself and McGregor seemed to link well and provided a better looking balance in midfield regardless of the opposition, Jack’s been terrific in fairness in Rangers European games as well and there’s no guarantee McTominay will even be fit and back in Man Utd’s team when the squad is announced.

Edited by BraveheartGordon

16 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

AYe you could be right, if Mctominay is anything but 100% then Jack is probably a decent shout, at least you know he will get in about it as well.

On 2/11/2020 at 9:51 AM, Kirk said:

That is fucking terrifying!!!

I'd play none of those centre halfs

forrest  is bad enough on the wing never mind throwing defending into it

jack although decent will not be a starter

You going for a Mikey Devlin mulgrew combo

First-time poster here! I can't wait for next month to come around, it feels like a number of our key players are hitting form/ regaining fitness at the right time. I genuinely feel that with a bit of belief amongst the players and a slice of luck we can do it. I think our midfield with the likes of McTominay, McGregor, McGinn, Christie and Fraser with Robertson's attacking threat added in can give us a real dynamism that should be too strong for Israel and cause Norway/Serbia some real problems in the potential final. However, as I have seen being discussed a lot I worry that the complete dearth of options at centre-back will ultimately be our downfall. My only hope is that Clarke can somehow stumble upon a partnership that gives us a chance to get through these 2 games. I am interested to know which partnership you all would go for at the moment?

I'd say we are looking at 2 from: McKenna, Gallagher, Hanley, Cooper and Findlay. If I had to choose I would go with Hanley and McKenna, as scary as that sounds. Hanley has his obvious limitations and could cost us but I just feel in these high-pressure games his added experience with 29 caps and playing at big stadiums in the Premier League could add a bit of authority in what will be a defence without a lot of international appearances bar Robbo. I'd be happy with McKenna or Findlay next to him but McKenna just edges it for me, I feel the stick he gets is a bit unwarranted at times for a young player who is undoubtedly an imposing defender on his day. I feel if nothing else Hanley and McKenna would be able to stand up to Haaland or Mitrovic physically if we reach the final. Thoughts?

6 minutes ago, BoomtoonTA said:

First-time poster here! I can't wait for next month to come around, it feels like a number of our key players are hitting form/ regaining fitness at the right time. I genuinely feel that with a bit of belief amongst the players and a slice of luck we can do it. 

Careful with that upbeat and positive appraisal, Boomtoon; plenty will gie you a roasting for that approach. 

Out of your five CHs, I’d personally go with two from McKenna, Hanley and Gallagher, but would be alarmed if Cooper’s involved. The English Championship is not a good standard at all and practically every time I’ve watched Cooper he’s been abysmal. He and Devlin shouldn’t be near the team imo.

16 minutes ago, RabtheBruce said:

Careful with that upbeat and positive appraisal, Boomtoon; plenty will gie you a roasting for that approach. 

Out of your five CHs, I’d personally go with two from McKenna, Hanley and Gallagher, but would be alarmed if Cooper’s involved. The English Championship is not a good standard at all and practically every time I’ve watched Cooper he’s been abysmal. He and Devlin shouldn’t be near the team imo.

I disagree with that, I think that the English Championship is a better standard than the Scottish Premiership, outside the Old Firm, and has been for some time. 

I watch most televised Scot Prem games and EPL & EC games involving Scotland squad players as - no doubt like many on here - I like to keep a close eye on their form and imo the EC is awful; most games are just a physical slog, technical deficiencies and teams utterly incapable of keeping the ball for longer than three passes. We’re very quick to belittle the Scottish league but I think most of our top flight clubs would beat most EC clubs. 

28 minutes ago, dohadeer said:

I disagree with that, I think that the English Championship is a better standard than the Scottish Premiership, outside the Old Firm, and has been for some time. 

11 minutes ago, RabtheBruce said:

I watch most televised Scot Prem games and EPL & EC games involving Scotland squad players as - no doubt like many on here - I like to keep a close eye on their form and imo the EC is awful; most games are just a physical slog, technical deficiencies and teams utterly incapable of keeping the ball for longer than three passes. We’re very quick to belittle the Scottish league but I think most of our top flight clubs would beat most EC clubs. 

This has been debated to death on here but it’s a tough one. I would say most top 6 clubs in Scotland would do OK against English Championship sides but there is way more money down there even in the second tier. 

Teams like St Mirren and St Johnstone would get thrown about like an empty tracksuit in that league in my opinion.  

36 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

This has been debated to death on here but it’s a tough one. I would say most top 6 clubs in Scotland would do OK against English Championship sides but there is way more money down there even in the second tier. 

Teams like St Mirren and St Johnstone would get thrown about like an empty tracksuit in that league in my opinion.  

Yeah, it does come down to money at the end of the day, and that puts the English Championship way ahead of the Scottish Premiership.

The standard of the players in that league, just from the teams that come down from the Premiership alone, is way above our league. It’s such a competitive league from top to bottom as well, many teams who were reasonable English Premiership teams, end up doing the ‘double-drop’ into League One, which shows how competitive/strong the Championship is from top to bottom.

It doesn’t make sense that the Scottish Premiership is better than that league, given that the wages are so much less. If the players in Scotland WERE better, then they’d be snapped up by Championship teams, who offered them more money. As any good Scottish Premiership players are. Some of the good Scottish Premiership players only move to League One or lower.

11 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

If only we still had TDK around to give us his views on the subject then we would all be much more enlightened.

10 hours ago, dohadeer said:

The standard of the players in that league, just from the teams that come down from the Premiership alone, is way above our league. It’s such a competitive league from top to bottom as well, many teams who were reasonable English Premiership teams, end up doing the ‘double-drop’ into League One, which shows how competitive/strong the Championship is from top to bottom.

Wolves and Sunderland. That's it.

3 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

And even at that Wolves and Sunderland are yoyo teams.

Yep.

Sunderland have been a complete basket case for a while now and it wasn't a surprise to see them go straight through the Championship.

Wolves had only 1 season Premier League, got relegated on last day of the Championship the following year and then pissed League 1. At the time, they were your typical Championship club, nothing more. 

4 minutes ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

Yep.

Sunderland have been a complete basket case for a while now and it wasn't a surprise to see them go straight through the Championship.

Wolves had only 1 season Premier League, got relegated on last day of the Championship the following year and then pissed League 1. At the time, they were your typical Championship club, nothing more. 

It was actually three seasons - 2009/10, 2010/11, 2011/12.

I know im going to get pelters for this, but for isreal i think a 3-5-2 would be good since they also play that way. I dont think mcginn will be fit btw to start anyway but should be in the squad

Marshall

McKenna, Coopers, Gallagher

Forrest Mctominey Jack Christie Robertson

Naismith griffiths. 

Naismith likes coming deep to link play and only reason id play mctominey over fleck is because his height is useful and he is more defensive