Your Ideal Team For The Playoffs? - Page 8 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Your Ideal Team For The Playoffs?

Guest ElChris04

29 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

So would a lot of people, but that seems based on the past not the present.

Even Celtic supporters don't seem to be as convinced  as usual.

It's impossible to say one way or the other when he's only been back in the Celtic side for 3 games, but if he's fit and scoring for Celtic in the run up to the Israel game then it's a no brainer for me

9 minutes ago, Terry Munro said:

It's impossible to say one way or the other when he's only been back in the Celtic side for 3 games, but if he's fit and scoring for Celtic in the run up to the Israel game then it's a no brainer for me

I’m in agreement. I can’t see anyone infront of him. 

7 hours ago, csinclair said:

I'd love him to but I just can't see Griffiths getting a solid run of games going in time for the playoff

So don’t pick Griffiths when McBurnie plays even less for Sheff Utd!? 

Griffiths is a no brainer even only playing half the games for his club. 

Guest ElChris04
19 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Just about sums it up really.

On another issue and not taking the  alternatives into account, would you be happy to have Griffiths lead the line against Israel?

If he can score more between now and then absolutely. For me he’s still out most clinical best we have, and as a Celtic supporter myself I feel he’s got a lot more to give. Hopefully he’ll show that in time before the playoffs. 

if he isn’t, I’d really hope Clarke has a think about what formation to play since the 4-2-3-1 is a no go IF McBurnie starts.

6 hours ago, ProudScot said:

So don’t pick Griffiths when McBurnie plays even less for Sheff Utd!? 

Griffiths is a no brainer even only playing half the games for his club. 

I'd pick Shankland personally unless Griff gets a decent run of games and then he's a no brainer for first pick. I'd call up McBurnie but probably only resort to him if we're chasing a game and going 2 up top.

Some quite encouraging transfers potentially transpiring in the next couple of days.

If Gordon is playing regularly for Hearts, that's a massive boost for our goalkeeping options.

If Shankland moves to a higher level, then we can all maybe see if he really is capable of scoring at a higher level, and give us more striking options as well.

I think all our preferred starting 11s may change in the next couple of months. 

1 hour ago, Tartan blood said:

Some quite encouraging transfers potentially transpiring in the next couple of days.

If Gordon is playing regularly for Hearts, that's a massive boost for our goalkeeping options.

If Shankland moves to a higher level, then we can all maybe see if he really is capable of scoring at a higher level, and give us more striking options as well.

A good month and a half in the sticks for Gordon is huge for us. 

22 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

No doubt as I'm sure we will lose a few more to injury yet. 

On 1/28/2020 at 1:07 AM, csinclair said:

I'd love him to but I just can't see Griffiths getting a solid run of games going in time for the playoff

Hasn’t he started Celtic’s last 4 matches and scored in 3 of them?

If Lennon continues with the same formation there’s no reason to think that Griffiths won’t be involved in most matches between now and the end of March. 

Whether he’ll return to the Scotland squad in time for the playoffs is another matter though. 

Griffiths getting among the goals has brought a smile to my face, let that continue..just not against the Dons.  I don't think Shankland will go anywhere until the summer but I am happy for him to stay where he is, presumably when he does move and IF we are at the Euro's I'd like his business tied up at least 3 weeks before the tournament. Craig Gordon looks likely to me to move back to Hearts and that is great for us. 

8 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Hasn’t he started Celtic’s last 4 matches and scored in 3 of them?

If Lennon continues with the same formation there’s no reason to think that Griffiths won’t be involved in most matches between now and the end of March. 

Whether he’ll return to the Scotland squad in time for the playoffs is another matter though. 

I've been happily proven wrong so far. With Edouard the first choice and Lennon so keen to bring in new strikers I worried that Griffiths wasn't in his plans. Hoping he can keep up this good form!

16 hours ago, csinclair said:

I've been happily proven wrong so far. With Edouard the first choice and Lennon so keen to bring in new strikers I worried that Griffiths wasn't in his plans. Hoping he can keep up this good form!

Only time will tell I suppose but if he keeps scoring and Celtic keep winning with their current formation then there’s a good chance he’ll be playing regularly come March.

He won’t start every game as I doubt Lennon will go for 2 strikers against Rangers or in Europe but if he starts the majority of games and has an impact off the bench in the ones he doesn’t start then he could be hitting top form going into the Israel game. 

Could use the Celtic recent formation

May solve a few of the problems

Marshall

Souttar Gallagher McKenna

Forrest                                    Robertson

Jack   Fleck  McGregor

Mcburnie  Griffiths

8 hours ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

That’s big news for us!

Also hearing that McGinn is expected back mid March. Could be perfect timing. 

Do we want McGinn starting against Israel (and hopefully Norway/Serbia) if he’s only back a week or two and not match fit? It could be a tough decision for Clarke. 

9 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Do we want McGinn starting against Israel (and hopefully Norway/Serbia) if he’s only back a week or two and not match fit? It could be a tough decision for Clarke. 

No, not while we currently have Christie, Armstrong and Fleck in the form they’re in. 

We’d obviously miss his goal threat but we’re looking a wee bit better there with Griffiths and Naisy back and scoring along with Shankland. 

Edited by McTeeko

21 hours ago, Bino's said:

Could use the Celtic recent formation

May solve a few of the problems

Marshall

Souttar Gallagher McKenna

Forrest                                    Robertson

Jack   Fleck  McGregor

Mcburnie  Griffiths

Talk about playing to our weaknesses!

We really struggle to find central defenders and attackers, and you’re suggesting a formation that requires FIVE players in those positions, rather than the usual three. 

Also, James Forrest is a liability/passenger for us, even in his usual, strongest position. I wouldn’t trust him to play out of position at wing-back, in a million years. Remember there is a huge difference between playing there for Celtic, against other Scottish teams, and playing there for Scotland, against decent international teams.