Your Ideal Team For The Playoffs? - Page 6 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Your Ideal Team For The Playoffs?

Guest ElChris04

18 hours ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

You have named 2 defensive/holding players, neither of whom is a ball winner, In front of a centre mid who is not a ball winner. We are as well playing the Mersey Tunnel in the centre of the park with that line up.

Our most important game in years and you want to experiment with a midfielder at centre back?

You assessment of the ball winner is not accurate. I give you McGregor but McTom not a ball winner - are you for real. As I said Man U have said he could play there.

The other players are in form.

Experiment as opposed to your suggestion and playing the same way and achieving the same outcome - that’s really worked out for us over the past few/ lots of years.

In case you’ve not noticed, we already have the Mersey tunnel in our defence but with a black hole at the end of it.

Need to do something different to get through.

Marshall

Palmer ?????, McKenna Tierney

Jack McGregor

Christie McGinn Forrest

Griffiths/Naismith

Palmer has won me over and is right footed.

Robertson has been poor and cannot change his game from attack attack attack to more defensive minded.

CH scares me.  A partner for McKenna who also needs to get back to a higher level. Souttar, Cooper, Gallagher etc

Choice between Griffiths for goals or Naismith to lead and bring others with him.

29 minutes ago, Alan said:

Marshall

Palmer ?????, McKenna Tierney

Jack McGregor

Christie McGinn Forrest

Griffiths/Naismith

Palmer has won me over and is right footed.

Robertson has been poor and cannot change his game from attack attack attack to more defensive minded.

CH scares me.  A partner for McKenna who also needs to get back to a higher level. Souttar, Cooper, Gallagher etc

Choice between Griffiths for goals or Naismith to lead and bring others with him.

Can't disagree with your 2 deeper midfielders, just can't believe for a second mctominay won't play. 

Not a chance robertson is getting dropped for Tierney

For the missing centre half, Gallagher was solid 

Edited by gonzohiggy

14 minutes ago, Runninglikewind2 said:

.......................Marshall

Tierney-McKenna-Cooper-Robertson

McGinn-McTominay-Jack-McGregor

.................Christie-Naismith

Madness changing Palmer at right back. We should be looking to settle defence more than any area. Palmer has earned another stint there. 

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, bigfingers said:

updated starting 11 

Marshall

palmer McKenna Cooper Robbo

Forrest mcgregor Mctominay fleck Christie 

naismith 

Only about 10 club games left so we are staring to run short of time.

Hoping for Kelly to get a run of games and performs well like yesterday., Marshall is done.

Still cant have Naismith(championship reject at Norwich) so hoping McBurnie gets a run of games and looks something like a £10 million player, even £5 million would do.

With Fraser being so off his game McKenna is the only other player left to question, but hard to see any player with much experience appearing for central defence

Cooper isn’t good enough. Souttar and Gallacher are both much stronger right-sided  CHs imo. I’d have McKenna left side and then either Souttar or Gallacher. I’d be inclined tae go with Gallacher as I thought he looked really solid and composed against Cyprus and Kazakhstan.

Someone on a TA Facebook page is saying that Tierney is back in training. If so, and he gets a few games under his belt, I’d absolutely put him in at RB, if I were Clarke (assuming Robertson remains fit). Aye, Palmer has been decent in the last couple of games, but Tierney is way above his level.

Hopefully Griffiths is getting more game time in the run- up to the play-offs as he’s our best striker, but Naismith usually plays well for us, links up with runners fae midfield, holds it up well and gets a lot of free kicks in dangerous areas. He’s experienced, which is useful, given we’re so inexperienced in most areas of the pitch.

Edited by RabtheBruce

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2020 at 12:18 PM, ceudmilefailte said:

Still cant have Naismith(championship reject at Norwich) so hoping McBurnie gets a run of games and looks something like a £10 million player, even £5 million would do.

We can really when even in the last year, he's shown more in a Scotland shirt than McBurnie could ever dream of.

I'd rather go with tried and tested players at this level that somebody with an overinflated price tag that goes with their over inflated ego.

15 hours ago, RabtheBruce said:

but Naismith usually plays well for us, links up with runners fae midfield, holds it up well and gets a lot of free kicks in dangerous areas. He’s experienced, which is useful, given we’re so inexperienced in most areas of the pitch.

Spot on.

Naismith might be a championship reject according to some but has scored big goals for us, has played for some big clubs and he links up the play a hell of a lot better than I've seen McBurnie do.

49 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Spot on.

Naismith might be a championship reject according to some but has scored big goals for us, has played for some big clubs and he links up the play a hell of a lot better than I've seen McBurnie do.

Think you have summed it up there.

Has scored some big goals

Has played for some big clubs

Add Has played at a higher level and you can see the difference between the way we are thinking.

I said I hope McBurnie gets a run of games as he has started less than half of Sheffield Uniteds so far this season, The United fans seem to be taking a bit more of a liking to him over the last few weeks as he has played more.

They do wish he would grow up though and the sooner that happens the better.

On 12/16/2019 at 5:16 PM, todd said:

Maybe its old news but I've just found out that VAR will be used in the playoffs! That's just bound to fuck us over 😬

Could work the other way I suppose. We’ve had some awful decisions go against us over the years which (in theory anyway) shouldn’t happen in the playoffs. 

We may well be beaten by our own shiteness but at least we shouldn’t go out because we didn’t get a penalty we should have or a dodgy offside. 

VAR is a pain in the arse in general though so I’m not really looking forward to the risk of celebrating a goal only to have it whipped from under us. It’s coming to all top level football though so we better get used to it. 

----------Kelly ------------------  

Palmer Cooper MCkenna/Gallgher  Robertson

McTominey    Fleck

Armstrong   Christie     Fraser

Shankland

fuck it, why not play shankland upfront, the three behind are capable of supporting him properly. Naismith has been a great servant but we need a finisher who will put what limited chance we have away.

Mon the Shanks @Jim Beem

21 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

----------Kelly ------------------  

Palmer Cooper MCkenna/Gallgher  Robertson

McTominey    Fleck

Armstrong   Christie     Fraser

Shankland

fuck it, why not play shankland upfront, the three behind are capable of supporting him properly. Naismith has been a great servant but we need a finisher who will put what limited chance we have away.

Mon the Shanks @Jim Beem

Be happy enough with that, especially in the away game if we beat Israel.

Against Israel I’d be tempted to play Armstrong for McTominay or Fleck and play Forrest right. 

Not seen Shankland before so not sure but don’t rate McBurnie. 

Clarke quoted saying he doesnt forget the players who have done well for him. He might find it difficult to drop mcgregor and jack.

McGregor will play if fit.  IIRC, he has played every minute of the nations league and qualifiers.  

If McGregor is fit, he plays for both Celtic and Scotland and that's why he is top of the minutes played table.

Clarke quoted saying he doesnt forget the players who have done well for him. He might find it difficult to drop mcgregor and jack.

I respect rewarding loyalty, but not to the detriment of the team. I'm sure we all appreciate McGregor's commitment to the team. And he is a very good player. However, if McTominay, Fleck or anyone else is playing better at the time, I'd happily bench him. There is no room for niceties in such a critical game.

I really like McGregor but he’s not quite been at his best this season and you can’t ignore Fleck’s form for a top 10 team in England. 

Looks like McTominay will be back mid/late February. That’s a decent amount of time to get back to match fitness. 

McGinn is looking more like late March. Can’t see Aston Villa declaring him fit until after the international break. Think it’s a similar situation for Tierney. 

The centre back problem is really awkward. There seems to be lots of players at a similar standard playing at different levels so it’s really hard to know who’s the most capable to play these games. Do we go for Hanley whose playing at the highest level but playing for the worst team in his league? Or McKenna/Gallagher who’re doing reasonable at a much lower level or Cooper who is playing well for a team at a higher level to the SPFL. Would McKenna struggle even more than Hanley at centre back for Norwich..? I’ve got a feeling he would. My gut says Hanley and Gallagher is the best option even if they’ve never played together before. 

So assuming the above in terms of injury  I’d go for. 

GK: Marshall

RB: Palmer 

CB: Gallagher

CB: Hanley 

LB: Robertson

RCM: Armstrong (would be tempted with Jack in the final if we get there) 

CM: McTominay

LCM: Fleck

RW: Christie

FW: Griffiths but McBurnie if he’s not getting minutes/goals

LW: Fraser  

I could be completely wrong about Hanley and Gallagher but I’ve not seen much from McKenna or Cooper to convince me otherwise. 

McGregor, Forrest and Naismith are really close to the starting 11 too but would need to do quite a bit from now to force their way in. I guess Souttar and Findlay are there or thereabouts too.