Your Ideal Team For The Playoffs? - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Your Ideal Team For The Playoffs?

Guest ElChris04

It's really tricky picking the midfield.

• McGinn has made himself very difficult to leave out.  
  • McTominay is ever present for Man Utd and getting better all the time.
  • McGregor is very rarely left out for club or country.
  • Fraser is arguably our best player.
  • Forrest destroyed Israel on his own last time.
  • Christie is having a great season for Celtic and Scotland.
  • Jack is having a great season and did well in the last 2 matches.
  • Armstrong is a good option but needs more games for Southampton. 

Personally, I'd go with - Forrest - McGinn - McTominay - McGregor - Fraser.

Edited by PASTA Mick

21 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

As we all know, so much can change in 4 months. It's hard to know the trajectory of certain players and if we will be lucky with injuries. 

McKenna, for example, may regress and not fulfil his promise. Where as Souttar and Hanley may have had an impressive run of form and force themselves into reckoning. Also, if Naismith is banging them in for Hearts and Griffiths is still not playing, I'd start him ahead of any other striker. So, fingers crossed: 

Marshall

Tierney  McKenna Mulgrew Robertson

McTominay McGregor

Christie         McGinn         Fraser

Griffiths

I doubt anyone is coming out of retirment for these games, but if we qualified, I think everyone should be given the opportunity to change their mind. We want the best 11 players to compete in the Euros, so I don't care about pride.

In that scenario, swap S. Brown for C.McGregor,  and swap A.McGregor for Marshall

It's not about pride, it's about keeping the squad happy, why should c. McGregor lose his place to brown or Marshall who has to take a few hefty beatings in goal lose out to Allan McGregor.

Griffiths
Fraser - McGinn - Christie
Armstrong - McTominay
Robertson - McKenna - Souttar - Palmer
Marshall

I feel Griff and Fletch are still head and shoulders above our other options, so being without them hurts. I'm tempted by Fletch given his hold up play and the three behind him being very willing to go beyong and all being good goal threats.

McGinn has to play as the number 10. He's been excellent there, and it'd be utterly crazy to put him back in center mid where he's been a frequent liability in previous games. If it ain't broke..

Christie has to be in the 11 for me. Done well on the right, linked up with Palmer and capable of hitting one.
Fraser is still probably our best player when he's on form. So despite his injury issues, it's really difficult to leave him out. Would probably put Burke in if he's not available, he's played his best games there imo, and Forrest still just lacks end product game after game.

After so many games where the defensive mid pair are destroying our defense and making us lose goals.. whether it's McLean, Jack, McGregor or McGinn when he was playing there.. We need stability and consistency. For me McTominay and Armstrong are that. They're disciplined enough to do the defensive work. McTominay alo brings some solid passing and Armstrong has his dead balls and a willingness to break forward from deep. Both useful weapons.

Robertson is a given.

Palmer has made the right back shirt his own for the moment. He's got better with every game, let him keep doing that.

The back two is tough. I can see an argument for Tierney in there. Findlay's done ok. Gallagher didn't sdo a lot wrong. McKenna and Bates played in the 3-2 win over them. I guess I'm still of the belief that McKenna is a solid center back, he's just lacked some match sharpness after being injured recently. Same goes for Souttar, out injured right now, but would have started the games had he been available. He should be back fit in January, so that gives him 10-11 games getting back to his best.

Keeper is a tough one too. Marshall's done ok.. nothing particularly impressive for me.. none of those saves that make you gasp like Gordon and McGregor used to make. Also his distribution is a problem again. He just rushes and that can be dangerous as even his throws go wayward when he's in that mindset. Gordon's on the bench for Cetlic, and I'm half tempted to go for him as he's steady and calming, even if he's not still the top level keeper he was at his peak. McLaughlin's form has dropped off from last year being Sunderland's best player, so much so that he was left on the bench recently. Kelly had left in at least 2 goals in every game so far this season.. that's not the be all end all, but it doesnt scream "pick me". Bain I'm still not convinced by. So for me it's between Marshall and Gordon.. weirdly enough. I guess I gamble on Marshall, he doesn't feel steady tho.

11 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

It's not about pride, it's about keeping the squad happy, why should c. McGregor lose his place to brown

Because McGregor goes missing most games and frequently doesn't do the defensive work, resulting in goals like the one Kazakhstan scored the other day?

Scott Brown

Scott Brown Scott Brown Scott Brown Scott Brown

-----------------Scott Brown----Scott Brown-------------

Scott Brown----Scott Brown--------Scott Brown

-----------------------Scott Brown---------------------------

Ramy just texted me his team

36 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

I'd be happy with that for the home match, for the away leg I would put christie in for forrest

Guest ElChris04
On 11/21/2019 at 5:27 PM, vanderark14 said:

I dont need to link anything, you're welcome to search for the article I found re fraser which states his recurring knee injury is his problem

Yes that old chestnut, you've even admitted to being bias towards celtic when it comes to scotland.

I read what you wrote about forrest, I didn't ignore anything. I just disagree with you. Forrest may or may not be on the same level of fraser but I dont think forrest turns it on with scotland the same.way he does at Celtic. I cant really see Any argument against that 

I'm not sure why you chose an interview from forrest about his pal tierney. Did you think Forrest would say "Kieran is a dick, he never turns up, he should be picked again"

Every football with few exceptions blurts out whatever will raise the least headlines.

Ryan Fraser starting today, that re occurring leg injury must have been really terrible....

like I said from the start, he done no personal interviews of himself clarifying anything like Tierney done explaining playing 3-4 games in a week would be too much just coming back from a double hernia, looking like that “leg injury” was an excuse to get out of international football. 

And we wonder why Clarke is wanting to invoke the fifa 5 day rule...

Just now, ElChris04 said:

Ryan Fraser starting today, that re occurring leg injury must have been really terrible....

like I said from the start, he done no personal interviews of himself clarifying anything like Tierney done explaining playing 3-4 games in a week would be too much just coming back from a double hernia, looking like that “leg injury” was an excuse to get out of international football. 

And we wonder why Clarke is wanting to invoke the fifa 5 day rule...

So because fraser didn't do an interview but tierney did, fraser isn't committed but tierney is.

Get a grip.of yourself min. They're both at it

Guest ElChris04
6 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

So because fraser didn't do an interview but tierney did, fraser isn't committed but tierney is.

Get a grip.of yourself min. They're both at it

Tierney explained they difference on why he couldn’t play 3-4 games a week mate. Ryan Fraser has done nothing of the sort and hasn’t came back from a double hernia. That’s the difference. 

Ryan Fraser doesn’t get called up in March unless he explains himself to Clarke what got him to miss Scotland but a few days later turn up for Bournemouth. If Clarke isn’t convinced then neither am I. Not like we don’t have good wingers playing for the U21’s and so on. 

1 minute ago, ElChris04 said:

Tierney explained they difference on why he couldn’t play 3-4 games a week mate. Ryan Fraser has done nothing of the sort and hasn’t came back from a double hernia. That’s the difference. 

Ryan Fraser doesn’t get called up in March unless he explains himself to Clarke what got him to miss Scotland but a few days later turn up for Bournemouth. If Clarke isn’t convinced then neither am I. Not like we don’t have good wingers playing for the U21’s and so on. 

You really are aff yer heed min

I'm sure fraser has spoken to clarke. Tierney didn't by the way, he went to the press and you've swallowed his load without question.

Take your green brigade specs off and come back when you grow up.

Guest ElChris04
8 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

You really are aff yer heed min

I'm sure fraser has spoken to clarke. Tierney didn't by the way, he went to the press and you've swallowed his load without question.

Take your green brigade specs off and come back when you grow up.

your opinion is the minority outside this form. On reddit and twitter Fraser is getting pelters from rangers and other Scottish club supporters. So I wonder what tinted specs they are wearing? 

think you should take your own advice about growing up. 

31 minutes ago, ElChris04 said:

your opinion is the minority outside this form. On reddit and twitter Fraser is getting pelters from rangers and other Scottish club supporters. So I wonder what tinted specs they are wearing? 

think you should take your own advice about growing up. 

Reddit and Twitter 😂😂😂😂😂😂

You seem to think I believe fraser, I never said that. When I said "they're both at it" I meant it.

I mentioned tinted specs because you believe Tierney and since you joined the board your posts have been hilarious bias towards celtic when stating your preferred scotland line ups.

Edited by vanderark14

McKenna seems to be getting a lot of flak for a young guy

hutton basically passed the ball to Poland for their 2 goals away - was barely mentioned

martin & hanley were like the keystone cops in our defence for years, and mulgrew has been posted missing a lot too

at least Greer put in an honest shift when called up

On 11/21/2019 at 8:51 PM, gonzohiggy said:

Quite like souttar as a footballer but why after the last 2 games do people see McKenna as a better bet than Gallagher? Is it because he only plays for motherwell perhaps...... 

It's probably because ones just turned 23, the other is about to turn 29 and spent most of his career in the lower leagues that was interrupted by a stint in prison for smashing someone's skull in with a baseball bat. Whether people like to admit it or not things like age and reputation come into your thinking with choices like that.

I'm not sure how I feel about Gallagher and still feel a little uneasy seeing him in squads, I think everyone has the right to work in their chosen vocation after prison (outside of the obvious ones, why they shouldn't), I have no problem with him earning a living at Motherwell or any other club he plays for but for me international football is a little different to playing club football, in that it's a privilege not a right.

Regardless the decision has now been made and he is an international footballer. He was more solid than McKenna in both games, although McKenna wasn't long back from injury. Basically unless a miracle centre half appears from thin air or Souttar hits ridiculous form, I would expect both to play against Israel

2 hours ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

It's probably because ones just turned 23, the other is about to turn 29 and spent most of his career in the lower leagues that was interrupted by a stint in prison for smashing someone's skull in with a baseball bat. Whether people like to admit it or not things like age and reputation come into your thinking with choices like that.

I'm not sure how I feel about Gallagher and still feel a little uneasy seeing him in squads, I think everyone has the right to work in their chosen vocation after prison (outside of the obvious ones, why they shouldn't), I have no problem with him earning a living at Motherwell or any other club he plays for but for me international football is a little different to playing club football, in that it's a privilege not a right.

Regardless the decision has now been made and he is an international footballer. He was more solid than McKenna in both games, although McKenna wasn't long back from injury. Basically unless a miracle centre half appears from thin air or Souttar hits ridiculous form, I would expect both to play against Israel

Fair point.

On 11/23/2019 at 3:13 PM, ElChris04 said:

unless he explains himself to Clarke what got him to miss Scotland but a few days later turn up for Bournemouth. If Clarke isn’t convinced then neither am I.

I love the complete lack of reality involved in this. 🤣

If a player doesn't do a thing.. that i can't know if he does or doesnt do..
...and then another guy reacts to the thing that may or may not have happened..
..in a way i wont know..
..then i'm not happy.

alrighty then :ok:

On 11/22/2019 at 12:32 PM, PASTA Mick said:

Very surprised to not see you go with Christie here Mick. For me I think that McGinn and Christie might be the first two names on the team sheet right now. But as you say, it's quite a tough midfield to pick, and all for all the right reasons!

The super optimistic side of me gets really excited by the idea of McGinn, Christie, Forrest, Fraser, and McTominay all breaking towards a terrified opposition defence. The more realistic side of me realises that's an extremely unbalanced midfield.

And who knows, we might also be trying to figure out how to fit Johnston, Burke, Morgan, Turnbull, and Gilmour in there by the time late March rolls around.

3 hours ago, mrniaboc said:

Very surprised to not see you go with Christie here Mick. For me I think that McGinn and Christie might be the first two names on the team sheet right now. But as you say, it's quite a tough midfield to pick, and all for all the right reasons!

The super optimistic side of me gets really excited by the idea of McGinn, Christie, Forrest, Fraser, and McTominay all breaking towards a terrified opposition defence. The more realistic side of me realises that's an extremely unbalanced midfield.

And who knows, we might also be trying to figure out how to fit Johnston, Burke, Morgan, Turnbull, and Gilmour in there by the time late March rolls around.

As I've mentioned elsewhere, if McGregor is fit he starts. He started all 14 matches in the Nations League and qualifying. 

McGinn has forced his way into an automatic selection. 

I'm a big Forrest fan and I think Fraser is our best player.

That leaves one space in my team. Could pick either McTominay or Christie. Probably demands who we are playing. 

6 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

As I've mentioned elsewhere, if McGregor is fit he starts. He started all 14 matches in the Nations League and qualifying. 

McGinn has forced his way into an automatic selection. 

I'm a big Forrest fan and I think Fraser is our best player.

That leaves one space in my team. Could pick either McTominay or Christie. Probably demands who we are playing. 

Totally see your logic, I just think that right now Christie seems on another level. Hopefully he'll get a move to a big team 😋

Edited by mrniaboc