Your Ideal Team For The Playoffs? - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Your Ideal Team For The Playoffs?

Guest ElChris04

8 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

That’s all fine and well but it’s a bit simplistic is it not?

Clarke has to pick players that are in form in March next year. If he simply picks the same team that beat 2 fairly poor sides 4 months earlier then he’s not doing his job properly.

Who are you going to drop and why? Our midfield players all played quite well. We looked well balanced and they all seemed to know their job. We seemed much better organised than at any time in recent years. We need some continuity. Stick to the players who seemed to have gelled together quite well. Just because he is on the bench doesn't been he isn't an important player in the set up. He could be very useful in the later stages of the game.

I would go 3-4-2-1

Marshall

Tierney.      Mckenna.     Robertson

Forrest.        Jack.         Mctominay.        Fraser

Christie.           Mcginn

Naismith

But clarke will go 4-2-3-1 as we have just won 3 games which means either fraser or forrest will miss out for a centre half coming in.

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

Who are you going to drop and why? Our midfield players all played quite well. We looked well balanced and they all seemed to know their job. We seemed much better organised than at any time in recent years. We need some continuity. Stick to the players who seemed to have gelled together quite well. Just because he is on the bench doesn't been he isn't an important player in the set up. He could be very useful in the later stages of the game.

That works fine for the second game of a second header but not for games that are months apart.

Lets say Callum McGregor’s (just an example) form dips just after Christmas and he’s struggling for Celtic for a couple of months. Should he start our playoff match just because he did well 4 months earlier?

What if Ryan Fraser signs for Liverpool in January, gets off to a flyer and is playing fantastically in March. Should he not get considered for a start?

11 minutes ago, Templeton_Peck said:

I would go 3-4-2-1

Marshall

Tierney.      Mckenna.     Robertson

Forrest.        Jack.         Mctominay.        Fraser

Christie.           Mcginn

Naismith

But clarke will go 4-2-3-1 as we have just won 3 games which means either fraser or forrest will miss out for a centre half coming in.

Interesting but too offensive. Robertson and Tierney are full backs so don't think they could play both either side of a pretty average centre back in McKenna. Don't like both Fraser and forrest as wing backs either. 

Other than Gallagher for McKenna and Palmer for forrest I would have same personell in 4231

Just now, McTeeko said:

McGinn needs to be further forward, just off Naisy. Other than that, I like that team too. 

Naisy will take stick with a lot saying he’s finished but our young team needs somebody who’s done the rounds. Someone who genuinely doesn’t seem at all fazed. I think he’s the man to get wired in regardless of how much pressure is on. 

2 minutes ago, WCTA said:

Naisy will take stick with a lot saying he’s finished but our young team needs somebody who’s done the rounds. Someone who genuinely doesn’t seem at all fazed. I think he’s the man to get wired in regardless of how much pressure is on. 

Definitely, from options we have id say naismith is the best shout. Can grab a goal, good work rate, good control and wins plenty in the air aswell

2 minutes ago, McTeeko said:

It’s a decent team 👍🏼. I’m no fan of McKenna but all other alternatives are bang average too.

Ano centre backs are all much of the same level just now. I thought gallagher was the better cb in the 2 games there. Stuck with mckenna as he has more internation experience and think its the cb thats always gonna play if available.

1 minute ago, gonzohiggy said:

Quite like souttar as a footballer but why after the last 2 games do people see McKenna as a better bet than Gallagher? Is it because he only plays for motherwell perhaps...... 

It’s all in the name for me. Gallagher sounds too Fen..... sorry, Irish for me. McKenna, while still a wee bitty Tai.... ooops Republican, still has some Scot in it. 

It will all depend on who is available at the time however I would myself play the following: Marshall; Palmer, Cooper, Tierney, Robertson; McTominay, McGregor; Christie, McGinn, Fraser; Griffiths.

Obviously there are some assumptions there based on availability of Griffiths and our EPL contingent. It is also very harsh on Taylor (who has looked better than Robertson based on their respective performances this campaign), Jack (who seemed to gel well with McGregor) and Naismith. Forrest flatters to deceive too often for my liking.

5 hours ago, GraemeTA said:

Marshall

Palmer souttar mckenna robertson

Mctominey jack

Mcginn

Christie              fraser

Naismith

I like this just now. Would consider putting Tierney in for McKenna.