Your Ideal Team For The Playoffs? - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Your Ideal Team For The Playoffs?

Guest ElChris04

Guest ElChris04

Basically as the title suggests. What would your ideal team be for the playoffs? I know there’s already been some discussion with it Which I’ve also participated in, but feel it would be better if it was kept in the one thread to keep the discussion going. 

we’ve been without Robertson,Fraser,Tierney,Griffiths,Cooper,Souttar,Phillips,McTominay,Bain the last set of games and of course some even beyond that. 

then there’s been discussion off what players from our youth would we hopefully see called up based on performances and so on such as Billy Gilmour, Mikey Johnston, Fraser Hornby Etc 

taking all that into consideration along with it being 4 months away my ideal play off team is this. 

McGregor ( Bain if we Fail to convince him out of retirement)

Tierney-Souttar-Cooper-Robertson

McGinn(c)-McTominay-McGregor

Christie-Griffiths-Forrest

Taking into consideration form, Fraser still wouldn’t get ahead of Forrest personally I would have Forest over him for the simple reason of reliability alone let alone form, Not been the first time Fraser has picked and choose when he plays for Scotland and I’d much rather pick a same level quality Player who’s showed more passion for Scotland than many, add to the fact working with some of his fellow club men aswell increases the level of knowledge between them when attacking.

take the armband off Robertson and put it on McGinn, some say this is harsh I look at it as helping a player out due to his position and how much it’s hampered him playing with a rotten defence. The captaincy has done more harm than good for Robbo and I feel this is a step needed to get him back to his best. 

next is Allan McGregor, I hope and pray he comes out of retirement And clarke convinces him to do so. Our best keeper by miles. Constant incredible displays for rangers in europe and in the league. No one comes close, his last ditch save to seal the play offs summed him up. There isn’t a keeper cable of pulling that off. He was our best player behind Forrest that campaign. 

And of course Griffiths up front and like McGregor in his position he’s our best by far. 

hopefully Soutter and Cooper will be fit and ready as both are our best CB’s. Then Tierney at right back where he’s more than capable of playing. 

so that would my ideal play off team where in my opinion we would stand the best chance of qualifying. 

I’m not a big Marshall fan, but dropping him for Celtics 3rd choice keeper?

I’m disappointed Mcgregor has retired, but would be an absolute kick in the nuts to Marshall who has been in goal since he chucked it to drop him and go crawling to Mcgregor.

I’d probably drop Forrest and bring in Fraser or Jack (moving Mcgregor forward) and not convinced on your untested central defensive pairing.

Otherwise I think the rest pick themselves.

12 minutes ago, ElChris04 said:

Basically as the title suggests. What would your ideal team be for the playoffs? I know there’s already been some discussion with it Which I’ve also participated in, but feel it would be better if it was kept in the one thread to keep the discussion going. 

we’ve been without Robertson,Fraser,Tierney,Griffiths,Cooper,Souttar,Phillips,McTominay,Bain the last set of games and of course some even beyond that. 

then there’s been discussion off what players from our youth would we hopefully see called up based on performances and so on such as Billy Gilmour, Mikey Johnston, Fraser Hornby Etc 

taking all that into consideration along with it being 4 months away my ideal play off team is this. 

Taking into consideration form, Fraser still wouldn’t get ahead of Forrest personally I would have Forest over him for the simple reason of reliability alone let alone form, Not been the first time Fraser has picked and choose when he plays for Scotland and I’d much rather pick a same level quality Player who’s showed more passion for Scotland than many, add to the fact working with some of his fellow club men aswell increases the level of knowledge between them when attacking.

take the armband off Robertson and put it on McGinn, some say this is harsh I look at it as helping a player out due to his position and how much it’s hampered him playing with a rotten defence. The captaincy has done more harm than good for Robbo and I feel this is a step needed to get him back to his best. 

next is Allan McGregor, I hope and pray he comes out of retirement And clarke convinces him to do so. Our best keeper by miles. Constant incredible displays for rangers in europe and in the league. No one comes close, his last ditch save to seal the play offs summed him up. There isn’t a keeper cable of pulling that off. He was our best player behind Forrest that campaign. 

And of course Griffiths up front and like McGregor in his position he’s our best by far. 

hopefully Soutter and Cooper will be fit and ready as both are our best CB’s. Then Tierney at right back where he’s more than capable of playing. 

so that would my ideal play off team where in my opinion we would stand the best chance of qualifying. 

Talk about contradiction regarding Fraser... At least he does make himself available when fit, McGregor bailed out just days before the qualifiers started and you want to just welcome him back with open arms over Marshall who has done nothing wrong and always turned up, much like Forrest when called upon. Pot kettle black I think here. Also... Forrest isn't at the same level as Fraser.... Fraser is one of the best Attackers in the EPL Forrest is in the SPFL

1 minute ago, bazmidd said:

Talk about contradiction regarding Fraser... At least he does make himself available when fit, McGregor bailed out just days before the qualifiers started and you want to just welcome him back with open arms over Marshall who has done nothing wrong and always turned up, much like Forrest when called upon. Pot kettle black I think here. Also... Forrest isn't at the same level as Fraser.... Fraser is one of the best Attackers in the EPL Forrest is in the SPFL

And forrest is too hot and cold. 

Marshall

Palmer (2 from mckenna, Gallagher and Cooper) robertson

Mctominey fleck/jack/mcgregor

Fraser mcginn christie

Naismith/griffiths

Mctominey must play, he is quality and improving al the time. McGinn is first name on the sheet now. 

Upfront will be tough if griffiths is banging them in because he is superior to naismith when on form but I'd be totally happy with naismith.

Assuming everyone is fit and in decent form, pretty much the team which started the last 2 games. I would probably play Roberston or Tierney over Taylor as I don't think Taylor will be getting much game time at Celtic unless there is a LB injury crisis. It appears Robertson may miss this weekends game so there might be some humble pie being served.

McTominay is the hard one but I really think we need a Jack like player in there who snaps about the place. And the closest we have to that at the moment is Ryan Jack. None of McTominay, McGregor or McGinn are defensively minded. Its not Jack's natural role either but going with the first 3 just asks our already shaky defence to be attacked at will. Therefore I wouldn't be for dropping Jack.

Guest ElChris04
8 minutes ago, bazmidd said:

Forrest scores in Europe against top teams, he’s also done more in a Scotland jersey than Fraser ever has. But both are quality players anyway. 

moving on, McGregor left on a high retiring after putting in a fine performance Against Israel. He called it a day to focus on fitness for his club. The difference between him and Fraser is simply down to one ending on a high and not coming up with some injury nonsense. Speaks volumes Ryan Fraser has yet to to clarify anything with his injury while others such as Tierney and Robertson have to the press or in interviews why they are absent and the reason behind it. 

Griffiths cant be in anyone's starting 11 TODAY as he has no form, but as we are looking ahead to March I would hope he is playing and match sharp with a good goal scoring record between Jan and March - if he does he is in my 11 - I am assuming also he takes a January loan somewhere.

40 minutes ago, ElChris04 said:

Marshall 

Palmer Gallagher Tierney Robertson

Jack McTominay

Christie McGinn Fraser

Griffiths

Marshall - McGregor isn’t coming back so I think Marshall is the best available.

Palmer - solid and composed full back. Don’t like Tierney at right back.

Gallagher - really impressed by him over the last 2 games. Solid, strong and composed. Don’t see any reason why he can’t continue that against better players.

Tierney - strong, quick and a leader. Top player who is more than capable of playing in the middle. Plus he is better than McKenna.

McTominay - I think he’ll walk back into the team and if put beside a more defensive midfielder can get forward and be a threat.

Jack - to me provides better balance with McTominay than mcgregor who whole need and tidy is weak and not defensively minded.

Christie - class act and playing off the right allows him to come inside and shoot, play through balls or switch play to Fraser.

mcginn

Fraser - in my view better than Forrest on the left and probably a slightly better player overall.

Griffiths - big doubts over him but he’s our best striker, although he isn’t the best link up player so a little concerned on what impact that would have on the midfielders behind.

On basis that all players are fit and a reflection of Clarke's perceived preferences I'd think the team will be as follows;

Marshall,

Palmer/ Cooper/Tierney/ Robertson ( C).

Christie/ Mc Ginn/Mc Gregor ( VC)/Mc Tominay/ Forrest.

Griffiths.

Subs;

Mc Laughlin ( G),

Hanley/ Mc Kenna ( Def)

Fraser/ Jack ( MF).

Burke/ Naismith.

Several squad players might edge in such as Findlay, Gallagher, Taylor, Mc Lean, Fleck, Shankland and Mc Burnie.

Also Souttar who if he can get a 2 months or so injury free period could return to a starting position at right central defence.

As for Alan Mc Gregor . Would be great if he returns but I can't see it.

Interesting few months upcoming.

6 minutes ago, ElChris04 said:

Forrest scores in Europe against top teams, he’s also done more in a Scotland jersey than Fraser ever has. But both are quality players anyway. 

moving on, McGregor left on a high retiring after putting in a fine performance Against Israel. He called it a day to focus on fitness for his club. The difference between him and Fraser is simply down to one ending on a high and not coming up with some injury nonsense. Speaks volumes Ryan Fraser has yet to to clarify anything with his injury while others such as Tierney and Robertson have to the press or in interviews why they are absent and the reason behind it. 

What exactly does Fraser have to clarify... He is injured end of. 

And really! You think Forrst has done more in a Scotland Jersey than Fraser ever has??.. Well here are the stats for both their career's in competitive action for Scotland.... 

Fraser - 8 games, 1 goal, 7 assists

Forrest - 26 games, 5 goals, 2 assists

Fraser made his debut in 2017

Forrset made his debut in 2011

Forrest didn't score his first goals until 2018 against Albania in the nations league

Fraser has also been available for every competitive match he has been selected for bar Kazakhstan away and the recent double header

If Clarke can figure out a solid formation that that allows McGinn, McTominay, Christie, Fraser, Tierney, and Robertson to start then I'm not too fussed about who the other five players are. 

Would be great to see another one or two stars rising in the next three months as well! 

It was hard before these two games to envisage a scenario where a fit McTominay would have his place in jeopardy, but the relationship between Mcgregor and Jack was excellent over these two games. They really seemed to have gelled and to know each other's games. They played like teammates. 

It would be very harsh for either to lose their place, regardless of how talented McTominay undoubtedly is, on the back of the last two games. 

Robertson comes in. Taylor is a good option and did well, but Robertson comes in. 

Tierney at right back? Again, looking at the improvement in Palmer over the two matches I would find it very harsh to drop him. So Tierney at centre half? It would have to be in place of McKenna, so that we have a left footer on the left and a right footer on the right. Not convinced by that, either. 

If Griffiths is fit and getting some game time, he has to come into contention, but I really liked the game intelligence and workrate of Naismith, not to mention the reflection of his winning mentality through his constant talking, cajoling, encouraging and moaning. 

If Robertson was the only change to the lineup, I'd not really complain. Of course, If McTominay and Tierney make the line up, i'd not really complain much either. 

Some difficult choices for Clarke now, in a good way. 

32 minutes ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

Assuming everyone is fit and in decent form, pretty much the team which started the last 2 games. I would probably play Roberston or Tierney over Taylor as I don't think Taylor will be getting much game time at Celtic unless there is a LB injury crisis. It appears Robertson may miss this weekends game so there might be some humble pie being served.

McTominay is the hard one but I really think we need a Jack like player in there who snaps about the place. And the closest we have to that at the moment is Ryan Jack. None of McTominay, McGregor or McGinn are defensively minded. Its not Jack's natural role either but going with the first 3 just asks our already shaky defence to be attacked at will. Therefore I wouldn't be for dropping Jack.

Hard to argue with that bit. Unless he is having an off day and just isn't himself.

8 minutes ago, bazmidd said:

And really! You think Forrst has done more in a Scotland Jersey than Fraser ever has??.. Well here are the stats for both their career's in competitive action for Scotland.... 

Forrest didn't score his first goals until 2018 against Albania in the nations league

Fraser has also been available for every competitive match he has been selected for bar Kazakhstan away and the recent double header

I think if you check out % Call offs Fraser would win by a mile

5 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

I think if you check out % Call offs Fraser would win by a mile

I don't have the figures either but just going from memory I would agree with that.

But we should also consider the amount of times that Forrest hasn't turned up even when he was actually on the pitch.

32 minutes ago, bazmidd said:

Forrest’s stats are massively skewed by the short lived scoring spree he had in the nations league.

A good player for Celtic, but absolutely anonymous in 20+ of his 26 Scotland appearances.

I thought Forrest was good in the last two games, as it happens. 

Should have scored on Tuesday night. Some good runs and passes and got past his man (couple of times, men) a few times. Very neat and clever in build up to the winner in Cyprus. Linked well with Taylor a number of times in both games and was even tracking back on Tuesday, including one memorable moment when he chased an opponent down deep into our half and took the ball off him.

And one first half pass was sheer art; outside of the right foot to Naismith. Tasty. 

I'd play him. Especially if we play Israel. Look what he did to them last time. Not playing the guy who scored a hattrick against the very same opponents last time out seems a bit mad. Even if the result is they are just terrified of him and either back off or surround him, freeing space for everyone else. 

Edited by AndyDD

Guest ElChris04
52 minutes ago, bazmidd said:

Maybe because it’s the normal thing to do? Like Tierney,Robertson,McTominay who have all clarified they reason behind there Injury or why they couldn’t play.

if he plays at the weekend for Bournemouth and has yet to clarify why he was injured then it will look even worse. Also not disputing or putting him down as he’s a good wee player, but so is Forrest. Stats are unfair on him due to his inconsistency when he was still getting picked under Strachan when he wasn’t for Celtic when Delia was in and really short in confidence. He’s a different player now and for me a bigger game player than Fraser ever will be. As proven against Israel when he stepped up when others didn’t. 

As we all know, so much can change in 4 months. It's hard to know the trajectory of certain players and if we will be lucky with injuries. 

McKenna, for example, may regress and not fulfil his promise. Where as Souttar and Hanley may have had an impressive run of form and force themselves into reckoning. Also, if Naismith is banging them in for Hearts and Griffiths is still not playing, I'd start him ahead of any other striker. So, fingers crossed: 

Marshall

Tierney  McKenna Mulgrew Robertson

McTominay McGregor

Christie         McGinn         Fraser

Griffiths

I doubt anyone is coming out of retirment for these games, but if we qualified, I think everyone should be given the opportunity to change their mind. We want the best 11 players to compete in the Euros, so I don't care about pride.

In that scenario, swap S. Brown for C.McGregor,  and swap A.McGregor for Marshall