Campaign for Free Weekend Before Play Off - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Campaign for Free Weekend Before Play Off

Alan

I would say it's up to us to contact individual clubs, SPFL, media, Social media to campaign to clear that weekend and to help Steve Clarkes preparations.  No one else is going to do it. 

@Squirrelhumper

Even move them to the midweek and get the squad together on the Wednesday morning. Obvs be without the EPL players until the Monday but needs must.

From last night we had 8 Scottish based players in starting XI.  Only Marshall, Palmer and McGinn would miss out.

I can’t see them clearing the weekend fixtures to be honest. I’m pretty sure the SFA have only asked the SPFL that there are no Sunday fixtures that weekend so the squad (probably without some EPL players) can meet up a day earlier than usual.

The main problem with that will be if Rangers and/or Celtic get to the last 16 of the Europa League as the will be playing on Thursday 19th of March and their league games will be automatically put back to the Sunday. 

The only option would be to postpone their fixtures and Rangers and Celtic (or the SPFL for TV reasons no doubt) probably wouldn’t agree to that. 

32 minutes ago, Alan said:

I would say it's up to us to contact individual clubs, SPFL, media, Social media to campaign to clear that weekend and to help Steve Clarkes preparations.  No one else is going to do it. 

@Squirrelhumper

Even move them to the midweek and get the squad together on the Wednesday morning. Obvs be without the EPL players until the Monday but needs must.

From last night we had 8 Scottish based players in starting XI.  Only Marshall, Palmer and McGinn would miss out.

An interesting idea, and would be fantastic if it could take off even just moving games to the Wednesday. The Champions League draw is on the 20th so we wouldn't have that either.

Having the Thursday - Tuesday (10 days) would be tremendous. A mini tournament camp almost ; and let's hope the SFA and SPFL are onboard considering this is our biggest game(s) in fifteen years.

Aren’t the SFA the ultimate arbiters of all football in Scotland?  Maybe they’re just being polite asking the SPFL to give it a rest for a week and if they come the wideos then they will just say tough, you’re not playing, end of? 

Edited by adamntg

6 minutes ago, adamntg said:

Aren’t the SFA the ultimate arbiters of all football in Scotland?  Maybe they’re just being polite asking the SPFL to give it a rest for a week and if they come the wideos then they will just say tough, you’re not playing, end of? 

Nah the SFA have no control over the running of the SPFL. They only provide referees and deal with disciplinary issues etc. 

2 hours ago, in5omniac said:

Presumably our two best left backs' clubs will have busy schedules around these dates too, can't imagine them being too accommodating either.

Clark was in the news saying he will fight if he has to with clubs over this. 

You'll get some folk arguing that all players would rather play a game than have the weekend off, but we surely can't afford to risk injury disaster when we have such a reasonable chance of finally doing it.  This will be a huge test for Maxwell and of the clubs themselves.

If Clarke and co can get them from Friday 20th or Saturday the 21st, even, that could go a long, long way. 

56 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Them not turning up wouldn't exactly be a novelty though, eh?

Exactly. Taylor is currently our best left back. He deserves another go. If he is injured then give one of the others a game if they are interested enough to turn up.

5 minutes ago, WCTA said:

I do think something should have been done over the Tierney nonsense but I think if it happens with our next game Clarke will be a different animal. 

Agreed; there is no question about the importance of these games and so I expect and hope to see the Clarke who took the SFA, SPFL, that referee and the rangers fans apart when he was the Killie boss. 

Just now, AndyDD said:

Agreed; there is no question about the importance of these games and so I expect and hope to see the Clarke who took the SFA, SPFL, that referee and the rangers fans apart when he was the Killie boss. 

Aye, I do like that about Clarke. He’s intelligent enough to pick his battles(as he said) but he also won’t roll over meekly. 

2 minutes ago, WCTA said:

Aye, I do like that about Clarke. He’s intelligent enough to pick his battles(as he said) but he also won’t roll over meekly. 

Correct. SFA must be delighted that his fights with them will now at least be behind closed doors. 

Hopefully that side of him isn't even called for in March, anyone who isn't flat out smashed to bits must want involved in the squad that finally makes it. Even I won't give benefit of the doubt to any cunt then. Nevermind the 5 day rule, i'd exile them for good. 

... But still invoke the 5 day rule out of sheer malice. 

Just now, AndyDD said:

Correct. SFA must be delighted that his fights with them will now at least be behind closed doors. 

Hopefully that side of him isn't even called for in March, anyone who isn't flat out smashed to bits must want involved in the squad that finally makes it. Even I won't give benefit of the doubt to any cunt then. Nevermind the 5 day rule, i'd exile them for good. 

... But still invoke the 5 day rule out of sheer malice. 

Absolutely agree. 

4 minutes ago, WCTA said:

But what can he do. If he names him in the squad and he pulls out, all Clarke can do is stop him playing for his club within 4 or 5 days after our game. And that's if the SFA let him. Big deal. He should have done that this time round to send a message. Sending a message just before the play off is too late. 

3 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

But what can he do. If he names him in the squad and he pulls out, all Clarke can do is stop him playing for his club within 4 or 5 days after our game. And that's if the SFA let him. Big deal. He should have done that this time round to send a message. Sending a message just before the play off is too late. 

Tell the cunt he is finished in a Scotland jersey. 
If I can travel to Glasgow for the first game and then Norway or Serbia in the final(should we make it) then a rich pampered guy can travel in luxury from bloody London. 

Edited by WCTA

2 minutes ago, WCTA said:

Tell the cunt he is finished in a Scotland jersey.

I think that if the situation had been managed well, Clarke would already have a very good idea whether he is going to be available in March or not. Maybe it has been managed well, and he does already know but just feels he can't tell the fans about it? I hope that is the case but I am doubtful. It would be much better to know now so that he can start planning accordingly than find out a week before the game.

7 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

He can make it public that this player (or these players) will no longer be selected under his tenure because they have not demonstrated an interest in playing for Scotland in European Championship Playoffs. 

Beyond that, yes, all he can do is stop them playing for 4/5 days and refuse to ever call them up. That's all any manager can do. That and publicly shame them. 

They likely won't care about that, but at least the fans will see that HE does. 

4 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

He can make it public that this player (or these players) will no longer be selected under his tenure because they have not demonstrated an interest in playing for Scotland in European Championship Playoffs. 

Beyond that, yes, all he can do is stop them playing for 4/5 days and refuse to ever call them up. That's all any manager can do. That and publicly shame them. 

They likely won't care about that, but at least the fans will see that HE does. 

I think we are all kinda agreeing here. I just think we should be past that stage already. Maybe Clarke already is, and he just doesn't want to tell us about it. Which is what I would do as well. We might find out more in time.

Hopefully he turns up fighting fit and raring to go, scores a couple of goals in each game and a couple of goal saving tackles. Then those of us who slagged him off can munch a big chunk of humble pie.

3 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I think we are all kinda agreeing here. I just think we should be past that stage already. Maybe Clarke already is, and he just doesn't want to tell us about it. Which is what I would do as well. We might find out more in time.

Hopefully he turns up fighting fit and raring to go, scores a couple of goals in each game and a couple of goal saving tackles. Then those of us who slagged him off can munch a big chunk of humble pie.

Seems to be, aye. 

Not just looking at Tierney here, or Fraser; i'd apply this to anyone who pulls out or 'makes themselves unavailable' unless the injury is clear and obvious. 

4 hours ago, WCTA said:

Clark was in the news saying he will fight if he has to with clubs over this. 

With Scottish clubs possibly.

The SFA and their employees would't be able to influence the EPL and their clubs to release players early or postpone fixtures.

Just now, Texas Pete said:

With Scottish clubs possibly.

The SFA and their employees would't be able to influence the EPL and their clubs to release players early or postpone fixtures.

Which would mean the only thing left would be to tell those players that they are never going to be asked again.

7 hours ago, WCTA said:

Which would mean the only thing left would be to tell those players that they are never going to be asked again.

Are you serious?

So if Liverpool don’t release one of their best players and let him miss an important league match he should never be selected again?

I assume that’s not what you mean because that would be ridiculous.