Our Achilles Heel - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Our Achilles Heel

0Neils40yarder

19 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

McTominay and McGregor as holding midfielders.

Christie, McGinn and Forrest have nailed the 3 (Armstrong/Fraser as back-ups)

and Naismith/Shankland up top

McKimmie, Hansen, Tierney and Robertson at the back please.

McTominay and McGregor aren't holding midfielders though, and Forrest has nailed fuck all. He's went back to being a passenger again. 

10 hours ago, Malcolm said:

mctominay is 6ft4. Surely he can win a few headers?  He man marks mitrovic and tierney sweeps up behind.

So, a central pairing of McTominay and say, McBurnie then? He's big too. 

27 minutes ago, bazmidd said:

If a defender or any player can't make a 5 yard pass from defence into Midfield they shouldn't be playing football. I'm not sure what you are wanting here? You want us to play through Midfield but want our centre halves to spread the passes? Just ask the centre halves to give the ball to the Midfield you don't have to be Beckenbauer to do that! And we certainly don't have a Beckenbauer to call on so let the defence do what they are good at. We literally don't have anyone in defence capable of playing the way you see Man City play on the telly. Apart from maybe Tierney... But you don't want him in there either even though he was excellent there against Holland in a friendly. If he has Gallagher or McKenna beside him they can deal with most things in the air and let Tierney sweep up behind them. Tierney reads the play brilliantly, a great tackler, can bring the ball out from the back and has pace... A defence with pace allows our team to push higher up the pitch which allows our best players to press the play like they prefer to do at their clubs

What I would like is for our midfield not to have to drop in to defence to play the simple 5 yard pass because you can see that they don’t trust our defenders. It’s like playing with 10 men!
I agree some of the players we have picked in recent years Hanley and mcKenna struggle making a 5 yard pass. The point is their team mates no that and automatically drop deeper because the are worried about their next pass. This then leads to the midfield being deeper and then no support to the striker. If we can play a ball playing centre back or at least someone who is comfortable then it allows us to dictate the play in midfield where our best players are. 
i never mentioned Man City. I just want someone who has a little composure and that doesn’t frighten the life in to the other players and the fans when they receive the ball. 
We actually have good footballers but it’s no good if we can’t give them the ball in the right areas. 
Tierney is a super player but the boy’s a left back, at a push he can do a job in 3 but  I wouldn’t shoe horn him atm. 

On 11/20/2019 at 7:50 AM, Malcolm said:

mctominay is 6ft4. Surely he can win a few headers?  He man marks mitrovic and tierney sweeps up behind.

I remember a few times Mourinho played Scott as a CB in a back 3 and he really struggled with the movement and rotation of whoever the oppositon forward was, don't forget you have Tadic aswell who's been great in last year for Ajax.