Our Achilles Heel - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Our Achilles Heel

0Neils40yarder

Left back is more than adequately covered, Goalkeeper could be better but not absolutely shite, midfield and wide areas we are as strong as we have been for years, while up front if we get support to the lone striker we might just avout get away with it... Right back was previously my big concern but I think Palmer has nailed that position as his own, with Ryan Jack also a possibility there. 

Right now though, centre back is my main issue... We seem to have a plethora of centre backs who are on a range from 'OK' to 'total dugmeat'. 

McKenna, Gallagher, Devlin, Findlay, Porteous, Bates, Souttar, Hanley are probably the main names in contention...possibly throw Tierney into that mix too. How does the manager fashion a decent pairing out of those names? 

Gallagher, Hanley, Mulgrew (I know), Devlin and Liam Lindsay are the way to go.

Haven't a clue why Lindsay hasn't warranted at least a call up to the squad so far for a look. 

McKenna looks overweight to me. If he sorts that out then he can be the first name in the back four. It's up to him.

1 minute ago, GaryWood34 said:

Marshall

paterson souttar tierney robertson

Jack McTom
Forrest            McGinn       McLean

Naisy

with 2 players protecting our centre backs we are fine 

I worry about the lack of height on the left side of that defence... Tierney playing in a back 3, I'd be comfortable with, not sure as a back 2 though 

If the play offs were tomorrow and everyone was available, this would be the line up for me.

Marshall

Palmer Cooper Gallagher Robertson

McTominay   Jack

Christie         McGinn         Fraser

Shankland???

Unsure where Tierney would go, but he could certainly slot into anywhere in the backline.

Forrest i also would like to pick but for me Christie and McGinn are the first names on that teamsheet and both must play

John Fleck is definitely worthy of a game and I think a great player to have off the bench.

McGregor goes missing too often for me and offers very little most of the time.

What happened to Leigh Griffiths? I genuinely don't know what is going on with our striker options.

1 minute ago, NigelQuashieBallonDor said:

If the play offs were tomorrow and everyone was available, this would be the line up for me.

Marshall

Palmer Cooper Gallagher Robertson

McTominay   Jack

Christie         McGinn         Fraser

Shankland???

Unsure where Tierney would go, but he could certainly slot into anywhere in the backline.

Forrest i also would like to pick but for me Christie and McGinn are the first names on that teamsheet and both must play

John Fleck is definitely worthy of a game and I think a great player to have off the bench.

McGregor goes missing too often for me and offers very little most of the time.

What happened to Leigh Griffiths? I genuinely don't know what is going on with our striker options.

Naismith has just played brilliantly and has 51 caps.

I would go Tierney and Cooper for the playoffs. McKenna has played his way out of a start for me. Gallagher did fine but ultimately he's not the answer. Well worth his squad place mind you.

Palmer has nailed down right back so Tierney would fit in well as a ball playing centre half while Cooper looked reasonable next to the bomb scare Mulgrew.

48 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Left back is more than adequately covered, Goalkeeper could be better but not absolutely shite, midfield and wide areas we are as strong as we have been for years, while up front if we get support to the lone striker we might just avout get away with it... Right back was previously my big concern but I think Palmer has nailed that position as his own, with Ryan Jack also a possibility there. 

Right now though, centre back is my main issue... We seem to have a plethora of centre backs who are on a range from 'OK' to 'total dugmeat'. 

McKenna, Gallagher, Devlin, Findlay, Porteous, Bates, Souttar, Hanley are probably the main names in contention...possibly throw Tierney into that mix too. How does the manager fashion a decent pairing out of those names? 

You can't fashion a decent pairing out of our available options. That's the problem. We don't have any centre backs who are of a high enough quality to merit qualifying for a major finals.

I find it a bit funny when pundits/fans discuss this as an issue that an international manager can supposedly solve. Either Scottish players of that quality, who play in a certain position exist or they don't. There's not much the international manager can do to mould a player into the required quality when he works with them only 5 times a year, each time for less than a week! All Steve Clarke or any international manager can do is wait/pray for someone Scottish to come along in club football who is of the quality required.

Kieran Tierney is a great player, but he'd presumably be 'square-peg-in-a-round-hole' type useless as an international centre back, particularly if he wasn't getting regular first team football at Arsenal.

Guest ElChris04

The ideal line up come the playoffs 

Bain ( if he gets game time ) 

Tierney-Souttar-Cooper-Robertson 

McTominay-McGregor 

Christie-McGinn-Forrest ( Fraser if he’s in form come March )

Griffiths

Edited by ElChris04

10 minutes ago, ElChris04 said:

The ideal line up come the playoffs 

Bain ( if he gets game time ) 

Tierney-Souttar-Cooper-Robertson 

McTominay-McGregor 

Christie-McGinn-Forrest ( Fraser if he’s in form come March )

Griffiths

Tierney isn't getting any game time.

Griffiths isn't getting any game time. 

Cooper is pish. 

Souttar is even pishier. 

2 hours ago, GaryWood34 said:

Marshall

paterson souttar tierney robertson

Jack McTom
Forrest            McGinn       McLean

Naisy

with 2 players protecting our centre backs we are fine 

That can't be your team with everyone available surely? That's not beating Norway or Serbia, Tierney a CB in a back 4? Where is Fraser, impact sub?

1 hour ago, GaryWood34 said:

Naismith has just played brilliantly and has 51 caps.

Guess Naismith is getting on a bit now but yeah I don't see the big issue if he's the starting CF for the play offs. He was a good player for many years at Everton, less so at Norwich and is scoring a decent amount for Hearts.

Big part of getting through the nations group was his clincher v Albania, also scored v Portugal last year.

For not the biggest striker he scores a decent amount of headers so given Steven Fletcher dosen't seem interested he's the best leader of the line available even though ideally I'd have him playing off a main frontman.

Hopefully Griffiths can feel o.k around March as having him on the bench would give the attacking options a stronger look.

4 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

And why not, it would mean the rest of the team plays in the same shape and we massively improve the weakest area.

Mitrovic would certainly be liking all these wierd CBs combinations in the unlikely event he reads this forum.

Get Serbia and you get a very good striker in the air so you need CBs who can win headers even if they're not great in many other areas. Is Tierney really that good at that?