Scotland vs Kazakhstan match thread - Page 6 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland vs Kazakhstan match thread

ceudmilefailte

4 hours ago, macy37 said:

Still learning? He’s not 18. 

No, he’s about 22 I think.

4 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

McKenna has just come back from a long injury. 

I’ve seen umpteen posts make this point about McKenna. Same goes for Taylor. No one, from what I’ve seen, makes this point re Naismith who has had one game back for Hearts after a long lay off. He probably covered as much ground as anyone in the side in both games. 

5 hours ago, aaid said:

This is the key error that leads directly to the goal.   The guy who lays the ball off is free and unmarked between four players - McKenna, Jack, McGregor and Gallagher (just out of shot where the X is).

McGregor gets sucked towards the ball and leaves his man (the guy who scores).   That means he's 1 on 1 with McKenna.   Jack doesn't track back quickly enough, Gallagher could possibly step up to press the ball but McGregor shouldn't be leaving his man.  If he tracks the runner then there's no option for the pass.

Annotation 2019-11-20 112141.jpg

These things happen every 2 minutes in football matches. 

The bottom line is if McKenna does his job and closes the attacker down he doesn’t get a shot away. 

Several mistakes were made but we need reliable defenders that are going to step in and deal with these things when they happen. 

You would have thought we lost last night the way some people are going on about the goal we lost and pointing the finger at various players. We beat a team who had previously humped us 3-0 so this has got to mean some improvement, but still some people are moaning. I look forward to see who we get in the draw and just hope if we can get to the final we get lucky with a home game.

1 minute ago, robbo cop said:

You would have thought we lost last night the way some people are going on about the goal we lost and pointing the finger at various players. We beat a team who had previously humped us 3-0 so this has got to mean some improvement, but still some people are moaning. I look forward to see who we get in the draw and just hope if we can get to the final we get lucky with a home game.

People are allowed to discuss our games in as much detail as they want. Doesn’t mean they’re not happy with the win. 

21 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

People are allowed to discuss our games in as much detail as they want. Doesn’t mean they’re not happy with the win. 

Yes they are, just seems a bit negative to me as I thought the second half performance outweighed any mistakes.

2 minutes ago, robbo cop said:

Yes they are, just seems a bit negative to me as I thought the second half performance outweighed any mistakes.

Yeah the second half performance was very good I thought but we need to be tighter at the back if we are to stand a chance in the playoffs so folk are going to discuss the negatives as well as the positives.

Negativity is never far away on the TAMB. You should be used to that by now. 😂

8 hours ago, aaid said:

This is the key error that leads directly to the goal.   The guy who lays the ball off is free and unmarked between four players - McKenna, Jack, McGregor and Gallagher (just out of shot where the X is).

McGregor gets sucked towards the ball and leaves his man (the guy who scores).   That means he's 1 on 1 with McKenna.   Jack doesn't track back quickly enough, Gallagher could possibly step up to press the ball but McGregor shouldn't be leaving his man.  If he tracks the runner then there's no option for the pass.

Annotation 2019-11-20 112141.jpg

Or we could maybe just not play simple passes straight to opponents?

57 minutes ago, robbo cop said:

Was thinking the same reading through a few threads on here! I hope to fuck the players don't read the shite that gets posted on here. To sample but a few.... McKenna is shite, McGregor is shite, Jack is shite, Forrest is useless, Tierney's no interested, Robertson disnae really care and should be stripped of the captaincy. Even McGinn got some backhanded criticism from one poster who said he still didn't think he was all that good 🙄

I know we've had 20 years of failure and our last 3 opponents aren't very good, but ffs what a miserable bunch of cunts we've become! 

5 minutes ago, slasher said:

Was thinking the same reading through a few threads on here! I hope to fuck the players don't read the shite that gets posted on here. To sample but a few.... McKenna is shite, McGregor is shite, Jack is shite, Forrest is useless, Tierney's no interested, Robertson disnae really care and should be stripped of the captaincy. Even McGinn got some backhanded criticism from one poster who said he still didn't think he was all that good 🙄

I know we've had 20 years of failure and our last 3 opponents aren't very good, but ffs what a miserable bunch of cunts we've become! 

This board is full of people who can’t see anything positive about our players or results. One guy in particular is the worst for it but there are lots of them. 

There’s nothing wrong with being critical of errors or bad performances but even when we win it’s because “our opponents were shite” or “we should’ve beaten Cyprus 0-5”. It’s been that way for years on here. 

1 hour ago, slasher said:

You'd have to assume some do... it is embarrassing.

Scotland fans expect loyalty and full commitment from players but how quickly they turn on a player if they perceive they are flawed in some way, or getting old, or just had a bad game or two... 

1 minute ago, WCTA said:

Just booked my flights home for the double header(considering we make the final). Kipping up in the Weeg for a week. 

Have you had your shots? We might "infect" your weak Perthshire system? 

Just now, RenfrewBlue said:

Have you had your shots? We might "infect" your weak Perthshire system? 

I’ll be fine. I once stayed in Dundee so I’m immune to anything. 😂

It’s actually Govan believe it or not I’ve booked a place in. 😄

1 hour ago, WCTA said:

I’ll be fine. I once stayed in Dundee so I’m immune to anything. 😂

It’s actually Govan believe it or not I’ve booked a place in. 😄

Govan? I'll have to watch where I'm going for my lunchtime runs then. 

Wouldn't want to spoil your day by bumping into you. 😉

Bloody gave myself a dead arm by doing that with one of the big black pedestrian crossing buttons the other day. 😁

Need to remember not to cut corners. 

1 minute ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Govan? I'll have to watch where I'm going for my lunchtime runs then. 

Wouldn't want to spoil your day by bumping into you. 😉

Bloody gave myself a dead arm by doing that with one of the big black pedestrian crossing buttons the other day. 😁

Need to remember not to cut corners. 

One of my pals who goes to Scotland gemmes wae me is a Hun. I can still have a pint wae you cunts sometimes. 😂

Saw enough positives from that, not enough to claim we will get through the play offs but the last two games were better than I expected. March is still 4 months away, hopefully a few players are in good form come then. This is going to be very tough but it will be tough to take if we make the final and we blow it.. but It would be well deserved given how rocky the campaign has been. 

I think both results were what we needed and if I’m honest I didn’t expect us to win both games. When we have the chance of getting 6 players back for the March games. I think we have an 80% chance of winning the first game and a 50/50 in the final but if at home it will go up from that.

i just hope all the players can take a lot of positives from last week and start moving on from there. 

The manner of the victory in that second half could and really should have been greater, with Naismith having two chances he really ought to put away and Forrest also missing one that he should stick away (albeit I think Taylor should have taken the sot on rather than cutting it back, angle was begging for it and there was no defender in his way), not to mention some of our play going forward ended with a poor final ball or good defending. 

The midfield double act of Mcgregor and Jack seemed to improve as the double header went on; they actually looked like teammates who play together week in week out by the end of the second match. Crazy as it seems to be saying it, I wonder if we can really drop either man for McTominay after that. He is a better player than either but he hasn't developed that sort of partnership with any other midfielder. In those two games they seemed to gel and complement each other nicely, for the most part. 

The best thing, for me, was the way in both games we responded to losing a goal. That mental fragility Clarke lamented previously seems to have been somewhat addressed. He needs to be given great credit for this, and it hopefully means that should we lose a goal in the semi then the players don't panic, keep working and maintain their composure without ever letting the heads go down. They can look back and know they have been there before and turned it around. 

Some encouraging stuff. Mckenna had a good second half after a ropey first, Palmer is looking much better than we thought he was and Taylor was impressive especially for someone starved of gametime for his club. Gallagher was arguably the better centre half and has probably done more to impress than any of the other options in their various auditions. 

Reasons to be cheerful. 

14 hours ago, slasher said:

Glad to see some people agree with the negative comments even after we win. I think alot of those comments are aimed at players because of who they play for. This should never be the case. Once the team is picked up then we should all get behind them. Been going to Scotland games ( off and on) since the early 80s and this has always been the case.

46 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

The midfield double act of Mcgregor and Jack seemed to improve as the double header went on; they actually looked like teammates who play together week in week out by the end of the second match. Crazy as it seems to be saying it, I wonder if we can really drop either man for McTominay after that. He is a better player than either but he hasn't developed that sort of partnership with any other midfielder. In those two games they seemed to gel and complement each other nicely, for the most part. 

Jack’s reading of the game in that defensive midfield role sets him above the rest of the in my opinion. Not to mention the improvements in his overall game under Gerrard. I’ve always said he could fill in at right back no bother, but now I would probably have him as a starter in CDM the play offs.